I can make a start

This time I drooped the fiddle yard but increased the side of the branch station turning it into a port. The station here can hold 3 70' coaches plus loco, possibly 4 56' ones at a stretch. I'm not sure whether the tracks at the back can be reached if a derailment occurs here. So still a work in progress. The turntable should be large enough to take a GCR 8K for my fish wagons.

Thanmyrport.jpg

33 minutes ago, Antony Farrell said:

This time I drooped the fiddle yard but increased the side of the branch station turning it into a port. The station here can hold 3 70' coaches plus loco, possibly 4 56' ones at a stretch. I'm not sure whether the tracks at the back can be reached if a derailment occurs here. So still a work in progress. The turntable should be large enough to take a GCR 8K for my fish wagons.

Thanmyrport.jpg

Is there any purpose to the crossovers either side of the viaduct? 

Just seems like something to derail on and hardly get used?

The main purpose of those crossovers (and I think they should be the other way round) is so that goods trains on the upline can be stopped and reversed into the through stations good facilities. Though this does duplicate the double slip on the bottom left hand side so they could be eliminated (which would save 4 points!). You would have thought I would have noticed that.

Looks like I can extend the through stations platforms a bit as well.

Edited by Antony Farrell

29 minutes ago, Antony Farrell said:

The main purpose of those crossovers (and I think they should be the other way round) is so that goods trains on the upline can be stopped and reversed into the through stations good facilities. Though this does duplicate the double slip on the bottom left hand side so they could be eliminated (which would save 4 points!). You would have thought I would have noticed that.

Looks like I can extend the through stations platforms a bit as well.

I wouldn't have a double slip on the mainlinr, I would use a single slip instead.

If you added an additional trailing crossover in the station area you could run around any goods train from the up line planning to use the yard and then reverse it to the goods yard the same as as a down train.

Railways in the steam period generally tried to avoid facing points where possible