PECO N gauge 5 & 7 Plank Wagon Re-tool

justin1985

I just noticed a snippet of interesting news in the N Gauge Society magazine. A very short story mentions some "Spring 2019 Projects". As well as the "twist lock" point motor that's already been announced, it mentions retooling of the 5 and 7 Plank open wagons in N Gauge. 

I guess I shouldn't post the image here for copyright reasons - and it's very small anyway - but it shows CAD renders of some very neat looking wagons with much better proportions and detailing than the old PECO models. 

There is a side door 5 plank and both side door and side/end door 7 plank opens. They all have commendably thin sides, great detail, and some very nice looking buffers (big change). The picture is small and the underframe in shadow, but it also LOOKS like the chassis now have NEM sockets!

All in all, it looks like some dramatic changes and a fresh approach for PECO. Their existing open wagons were definitely some of the weakest models in their range, with very chunky sides. If they continue their approach of frequent releases of varied liveries with these new mouldings, they really should be on to a winner with these!

The news item also lists an "easy assembly 10ft wheelbase chassis kit" as under development. The 5/7 planks do look like they're probably 9ft wheelbase, but I guess it would make sense if these two projects were connected. Which might be a bit of a compromise for the PO type wagons.

I'd love to hear if anyone has heard anymore about these, or when they're due, etc?

Justin

• RMweb Gold

I too saw that article. New chassis kits, steel and wood, would be very welcome improvements for N gauge modellers. I don't want to think about the time, injuries and bad language expended on trying to produce V frames that looked like v frames etc. etc ,

Best wishes,

(and to Peco) Alastair M 

1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

They are supposed to have NEM pockets. But I suppose this would mean the couplings would effectively be standard, not the ELC type.

Does that actually make much difference to anyone? The point of the ELC type was, I recall, to make it easier to lift them magnetically by using a design without a spring. But this requires fitting an extra metal adapter anyway - I don't recall ever seeing anyone actually use this!

NEM couplers don't use a spring either - perhaps relying on a bit of springiness in the pocket moulding? I would have thought you could design one with a sloppier fit and make it work with the uncouplers designed for the ELC system? 

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, justin1985 said:

NEM couplers don't use a spring either - perhaps relying on a bit of springiness in the pocket moulding?

Ah—I hadn't realised that. I've not seen the Peco magnetic adaptations in use myself  (AFAIK) but they have been mentioned in layout articles in magazines. Perhaps the adaptation could be applied to any NEM fitted stock?

• 1 year later...
On 25/05/2019 at 17:11, justin1985 said:

Does that actually make much difference to anyone? The point of the ELC type was, I recall, to make it easier to lift them magnetically by using a design without a spring. But this requires fitting an extra metal adapter anyway - I don't recall ever seeing anyone actually use this!

The magnetic actuators around a decade after the introduction of the ELC couplings. Some people had used bits of iron wire ir even track pins so Peco productionised the idea. The real purpose of ELC was to give close coupling (the C in ELC), achieved by mounting the coupling pivot well under the wagon and keeping the buffers short. I suspect the new versions will space the wagons further apart, but have correct length buffers. Looks better on the individual wagon, not so good in a train, but that has always been the trade off.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 19:54, bluedepot said:

anyone heard an update on these new wagons? 

tim

There was a photo of 'early tooling examples' of three wagons in the February RM, so some progress. No details of when they will be ready yet.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Even in normality  Peco’s product development works to geological timescales, so with the current ongoing supply chain difficulties it’s anyone’s guess.  I’d just sit back and wait. One day, they’ll appear, or not, in their own sweet time…. 

Richard T

(an older & wiser man now after getting all excited in the 1970s about Peco’s “forthcoming range” of rtr N gauge 0-6-0 tender locos :mad:)

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

If these are 1923 RCH designs then perhaps we'll see them in time for the 100th anniversary next year ;)

On a more serious note, if these are done with a degree of finesse then they'd be most welcome.  The current BachFarish examples, while being well proportioned, have hugely overscale trenches between planks compared with the NGS kit.

I sincerely hope that Peco introduce a new 9, 10 & 12ft steel, leaf spring chassis to modern standards. It would also be nice if they included a sprue with optional vac pan and key brake parts to fit if required, and even oil or roller bearing axle boxes, but that might be pushing it.

I'm not aware of any decent chassis available in N if you don't like building with brass. 

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, chriswrightmk said:

Peco are making a 7plank wagon for Jubilee. Railway Modeller says uses new tooling with 9ft underframe and metal wheels for first time. -due soon.

The pictures of this on Rails show it with a NEM coupling. That sold me on one.

• RMweb Premium
On 16/05/2022 at 12:07, class8mikado said:

Seems to have been a long tome ciming and whilst the body, frame, buffers , couplings etc may be an improvement the  brake rigging doesnt, appear all that clever,  not on this wagon anyway. 

I agree the brake rigging is not perfect but it is a vast improvement from the previous models. 

• RMweb Premium
On 16/05/2022 at 12:07, class8mikado said:

Seems to have been a long tome ciming and whilst the body, frame, buffers , couplings etc may be an improvement the  brake rigging doesnt, appear all that clever,  not on this wagon anyway. 

Frankly, the underframe in the picture is pretty unimpressive and nowhere near the standard of the Farish equivalent.  The brake lever is truly dire and will be quite apparent at normal viewing distances - surely that isn't the finished item?

Peco's mouldings of late seem of patchy quality with some items up to their traditional high standard and some notably lacking finesse (parts of the 13t hopper underframe and the window frames of the arp signal box spring to mind, though both of course are 4mm scale).  Hopefully this is a rough patch they'll get through.

I have to disagree. Here is Peco's latest offering against its Dapol and Farish equivalents, and I think the Peco version stands up well. Yes, the brake lever is a little thicker, but to my mind you'd only notice if you were right up close. I have to say it is brilliant that Peco have brought this wagon up to modern standards, and it can only be hoped their other N gauge wagons are brought up to similar standards in the future. 

image.png

5 hours ago, The Western Master said:

I have to disagree. Here is Peco's latest offering against its Dapol and Farish equivalents, and I think the Peco version stands up well. Yes, the brake lever is a little thicker, but to my mind you'd only notice if you were right up close. I have to say it is brilliant that Peco have brought this wagon up to modern standards, and it can only be hoped their other N gauge wagons are brought up to similar standards in the future. 

image.png

All that shows is that the new Peco offering isn't up to the standard of the Farish and Dapol (or Mathieson) offerings released years ago.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

The body of the Peco offering looks noticeably finer, certainly in terms of body thickness. Sadly a Peco body and Farish chassis combo isn't really a cheap way to a rake of mineral wagons!

Simon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well,

I was disappointed that i couldn't fit a Dapol EasyShunt coupling into the mounting on my new Peco Jubilee wagon It just flopped out and wouldn't click into place at all :(

Which one isn't playing the Standards game?

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

Well,

I was disappointed that i couldn't fit a Dapol EasyShunt coupling into the mounting on my new Peco Jubilee wagon It just flopped out and wouldn't click into place at all :(

Which one isn't playing the Standards game?

Easyshunts fit to Bachmann stock without issue so I suspect that the issue is with the Peco coupling.