PECO N gauge 5 & 7 Plank Wagon Re-tool

justin1985

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Kris said:

Easyshunts fit to Bachmann stock without issue so I suspect that the issue is with the Peco coupling. 

I haven't found this to be the case — but EasiShunts do, in my experience, fit the coupler pocket on Peco 009 stock without problems. Normally EasiShunts are too big to fit in Farish coupler pockets, and Farish couplings are too small to fit and stay in other manufacturers' pockets.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 06/11/2022 at 14:04, bluedepot said:

i just ordered one on ebay (from agr models) 

it was £20 but that included postage

just curious to see what the new generation of peco wagons are like

https://albionyard.com/2022/11/10/peco-quality-line-n-gauge-wagons-review/

They’re the best RCH 1923 types so far. The only let down for me is the brake lever is a bit clunky compared to the Farish version. However an etched replacement would be brilliant. Overall it edges the Farish version with better, finer tooling, and noticeably thinner sides. You could still run them side by side with no real stand out difference though.

• Like 3

I ordered a BR one, pretty much to see what they're like. I'd agree with everything PMP says above but the stand out thing for me, unless you're into fitting alternatives, over the Farish models is the coupling distance. 

It's just one of those things that the Farish models were one of their final models before NEM became standard for them, as it is with the 12T vans and minerals but the gap between wagons was always what drew my eye, ahead of the underframe detail.

Nice model that bodes well for further over hall of the range

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if we'll ever see these released as an addition to the plastic kit range - I'd be happy to assemble + paint some myself.

I know the 10ft wheelbase kits have their issues but it was a nice cheapish way to build up a quick rake of basic wagons.

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Stefen1988 said:

Retooled Brake Vans would be nice.

Have they hinted which wagons they will revise next?

Not that I’m aware of, however Warley’s coming up where visitors speak to the team and make requests 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Possibly for availability reasons? The existing Peco BR standard brake van looks extremely stretched horizontally. It lacks detail and isn't even comparable to the old Minitrix model.

The Peco wagon I'd most like to see re-tooled is the "whisky wagon" grain wagon. It's never been done by Farish and the one Bachmann do in OO from time to time is, I believe, essentially the 1960s Trix/Liliput tooling.

I'll look forward to seeing the new wagons at Warley. I'm hoping that if these are a success, then the chassis will become available for kits (the NGS kits are let down by the 1970s Peco chassis!) and we might see a few twin-axle wagons that are missing from the Farish range. The GWR box van, and a big one, an LMS/BR 5 plank open with steel chassis, suitable for use into later BR years, would be nice starters.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a direct "before and after" comparison of the Colman's mineral wagon (old wagon weathered and loaded):

IMG20221204224007.jpg.0aaa7df8684c63674b8082adb1df69bd.jpg

The differences in proportions are really striking!

And with a (rubbed down for weathering) Mathieson wagon:

IMG20221204224142.jpg.f8bd2ba71fcce5c40892c3634b900c6b.jpg

The sides of the new PECO wagon are definitely thinner than the Mathieson, but I still feel the (prototypically slightly smaller as a 1907 wagon) Mathieson has detail that feels a little more refined, or 'balanced' overall.

Definitely shows how far away the old PECO "minerals" were from the real look and proportions though!

I'm sure we'll see the prodigious range of liveries, and retailer specials etc, appearing on the new moulding wagons - which has got to be a great thing!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/12/2022 at 23:37, justin1985 said:

Here's a direct "before and after" comparison of the Colman's mineral wagon (old wagon weathered and loaded):

IMG20221204224007.jpg.0aaa7df8684c63674b8082adb1df69bd.jpg

The differences in proportions are really striking!

And with a (rubbed down for weathering) Mathieson wagon:

IMG20221204224142.jpg.f8bd2ba71fcce5c40892c3634b900c6b.jpg

The sides of the new PECO wagon are definitely thinner than the Mathieson, but I still feel the (prototypically slightly smaller as a 1907 wagon) Mathieson has detail that feels a little more refined, or 'balanced' overall.

Definitely shows how far away the old PECO "minerals" were from the real look and proportions though!

I'm sure we'll see the prodigious range of liveries, and retailer specials etc, appearing on the new moulding wagons - which has got to be a great thing!

I also like the 'barely there' gaps between planks which are how a real wagon actually looks.

Chris

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

My attempt to fit Dapol NEM couplings was unsuccessful, even with a ‘horizontal’ pin cut off. Looks like it’s going to have a conversion pocket installed. Disappointing to say the least. Nice wagon though and not as crude as I was led to believe from the enlarged close-ups.

• RMweb Premium

The Peco pocket can be cut off with a sharp knife and the chassis base filed flat to receive the Dapol pocket. The axles can be popped out with a screwdriver and very easily replaced, should you wish to remove them; a nice new design feature.

Edited by Crepello
Omission of word

• 8 months later...