Bachmann at the great central railway model event

Markwj

• RMweb Gold

No one else seems to have mentioned this excerpt taken from a train mail email from february

As an additional benefit for Bachmann Collectors Club members, we often arrange special discounts for selected event tickets and we have two such offers to tell you about this month. You can save money when booking advance tickets to both the London Festival of Railway Modelling in March (see details below) and the Great Central Railway's Model Event in June. The Model Event is already a favourite with many modellers and the 2019 event is set to be even better, with several new, as-yet unannounced models on course to be launched by Bachmann on the day.

So more new announcements due seems we can't get through a month without something new announced. Can't decide if that's a good thing or not!

mark

• Informative/Useful 3

21 hours ago, Markwj said:

The Model Event is already a favourite with many modellers and the 2019 event is set to be even better, with several new, as-yet unannounced models on course to be launched by Bachmann on the day.

So more new announcements due seems we can't get through a month without something new announced. Can't decide if that's a good thing or not!

mark

Another announcement of an announcement - this is getting really popular!  Its even took Bachmmann a few years to get into this.....

• Funny 1

I almost let myself get excited for a second, then remembered that whatever is announced today will be in the shops in 5 long years, so I'll check this thread again in 2023, when there should be pictures of the livery samples of this whatever it is.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

4 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

I almost let myself get excited for a second, then remembered that whatever is announced today will be in the shops in 5 long years, so I'll check this thread again in 2023, when there should be pictures of the livery samples of this whatever it is.

Not an unreasonable reaction. Bachmann has had a series of problems which have been aired on here. I allow myself to hope that the new factory has settled in and we are starting to see things moving again, even pantographs!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Markwj said:

with several new, as-yet unannounced models on course to be launched by Bachmann on the day.

Why does everyone instinctively start frothing about new-new items from new tooling when such comments as the above are made? New liveries on existing products are far more likely and IIRC occasional Collectors' Club items have been announced or shown at the GCR. Rabid frothing ultimately leads into unnecessary despondency about how hard done by we are. Drives me nuts!

• Like 4
  • Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Rabid frothing ultimately leads into unnecessary despondency about how hard done by we are. 

It's called self-flagellation. There are many enthusiasts who obviously enjoy it.

G

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Why does everyone instinctively start frothing about new-new items from new tooling when such comments as the above are made? New liveries on existing products are far more likely and IIRC occasional Collectors' Club items have been announced or shown at the GCR. Rabid frothing ultimately leads into unnecessary despondency about how hard done by we are. Drives me nuts!

It wasn't me your honour it was those other guys they made me do it! (I only said there was an announcement)!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

'Several new, as-yet unannounced models on course to be launched by Bachmann on the day'.  What does this mean?   On first reading, it sounds as though there are actual products ready to be put in the shops that are being launched, but this would be very unlike Bachmann's previous behaviour.  OTOH they may have stuff up their sleeves to counter Hornby's January surprises, some of which are already in the shops and many of which are very close.  If so, I doubt it will be anything major, just reliveries or very minor alterations to existing models, but it'll flag up a future ability and intention to abandon the announcement followed by a very long lead time model that they have traditionally used.

This would IM very HO be a good thing for them, as the likes of me have criticised them very heavily when models with long lead times are further delayed, sometimes through the arising of unforseen situations outside Baccy's control admittedly, but one feels that they are 'laying claim' to some models in order to dissuade competition, a kind of market manipulation that does not sit well with me!  Hornby's January announcements were very aggressive and may have made Baccy feel that it appears a bit slow and complacent.  

If, however, this is more announcing of announcing, and all that is to be announced is an intention to produce a model in several years' time, then it is normal service being continued.  And I'll continue to criticise the long lead times.  I would like to see a situation where models are available to buy within a year of being announced, for several reasons.  One is entirely selfish; I don't trust TBA or expected availability dates having been let down too many times (especially by Bachmann and especially the 94xx; come on, you all knew I was going to mention it sooner or later, but it is at least firmly in the pipeline now and I'm feeling a bit more relaxed about it!).  I also feel that this would improve the level of trust between the manufacturer and both the trade and the modellers, and the manufacturers would be able to deal with production problems before the model is announced, so their estimated deliveries could be more accurate and reliable.  Hornby have shown that this can be done; clearly it requires a level of secrecy, but it is not the traditional Bachmann way of doing things.

My feeling is that Bachmann have been doing things with a reasonable amount of success for a very long time, and have an 'ain't broke, no need to fix it' approach, which has resulted in some lead times getting out of control.  This is not good for them as costs increase and the market situation that lead to be model being developed in the first place changes.  In about a decade, the number of us who remember 94xx locos in service will be dropping rapidly...  The original market research needs to be capitalised on as rapidly as possible to maximise returns, and I think this applies to modern image as well, as livery changes are frequent these days.

None of which will diminish my interest in whatever B has announced they will announce...

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Something unique to the GCR perhaps, or a loco that has just been restored or re-entered service after overhaul, using existing tooling?

"The Windcutter" Train Pack with a 9F and MCVs?

"The Great Divide" pack including a model of a rail over rail bridge?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 09:42, AY Mod said:

Don't stress Andy, Rabid Frothing is often followed by mors rapidus and so that will reduce the numbers; perhaps we should be encouraging spumeus mores abnormes ?

Yo.

Phil

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, brushman47544 said:

Something unique to the GCR perhaps, or a loco that has just been restored or re-entered service after overhaul, using existing tooling?

"The Windcutter" Train Pack with a 9F and MCVs?

"The Great Divide" pack including a model of a rail over rail bridge?

Brake Tender.

Yo

Phil

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 09:42, AY Mod said:

Why does everyone instinctively start frothing about new-new items... Drives me nuts!

Here's a great suggestion I had from my first manager: when someone proposes something that really annoys, take a deep breath, and find two or three positive aspects before reacting. (There is still definite hunger for new product. Despite slow progress, potential customers of this business still look to them to produce the goods, etc.)

• Like 1

On 26/05/2019 at 10:42, AY Mod said:

Drives me nuts!

If you weren't a moderator, and therefore have to see everything, you could use the ignore topic function.

Except that doesn't really work properly. :(

So, as you were.

2 hours ago, Markwj said:

I did wonder if Bachmann were planning to announce the peaks at this event but Heljan forced their hand.

Well when you rule out the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth.

or in other words, what’s the chances of the Bachmann peak announcement being the day before Heljan announce they are making some