Tot-on or Toe-tun? - the toes have it.

On 27/05/2019 at 13:10, Compound2632 said:

Our first dissenter! But I'm glad you think that the various Midland accents are distinct from northern accents as my undiscriminating Wokey pupils accuse me of being from the North; I have to explain with great forbearance that I am not, but from Birmingham. They've no real concept of geography north of the river.

Positive Southerner to us Tykes. Don't get me started about HS2 'going to the North'.......... The first phase certainly doesn't, it's 270 miles to that there Lunnon from County Durham, where I'm the Yorkshire Ambassador, and 190 miles to Birmingham. And for those from the South its another 95 miles to the Scottish Border just North of Berwick upon Tweed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, GeoffAlan said:

from County Durham, ..., and 190 miles to Birmingham. 

With No. 1 Son at Durham University, don't I just know it! Even with a stopover at my father's in Sutton Coldfield, it's a long slog. From S/C, up the A38, M1, M18, then you're onto the A1(M) but still well short of half-way there. On the other in hand, my sister-in-law and her husband in London had No. 1 daughter at Durham but No. 3 daughter is now at St Andrews; they say that coming south, getting to Durham feels like being nearly home.

20 hours ago, 96701 said:

That's a currant teacake where I come from. (Nelson, Lancs.)

Well ....... when I said Yorkshire, Slaithwaite* is only about 25 miles from Nelson as the crow flies !

* Do the station announcers at Leeds still call it slay-thwait ?