Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway Cotswold Festival of Steam May 2019

Weaselfish

Just got back from the GlosWarks Whitsun festival which was excellent - thoroughly recommended. Amongst others, they'd got the blue King from Didcot and Penninsular and Orient Line from their own fleet in service. Two 8Ps at work at a gala is new on me - has it happened often before?

• Like 1

I think I've seen a King and Tornado at an SVR gala, and perhaps an A4 and a Duchess.

Shame that the Caley tank failed yet again, and had to be put on the naughty step at Winchcomb, shuffling around the station limits with a couple of wagons. All the trains seemed pretty full, which is good news for the railway.

DSCF0237.JPG

DSCF0248.JPG

DSCF0252.JPG

• Like 1

Great photos - thank you. I'd gone specifically to see 61264 and was very impressed. I agree it was a pity that the Caley failed - I was behind it when it failed on the Churnet Valley earlier this year but at least I'd already had a few runs with it already that day. 

Last Saturday, I made my first ever trip to the Glos & Warks. Rly at Cheltenham. It was an absolutely beautiful day & all the trains were very full. I must say what G&WR has achieved is pretty impressive because they've had to rebuild so much of the infrastructure & have had to cope with embankment slippages a few years ago. They've also established really quite extensive w/s facilities at Toddington (for locos) & Winchcombe (for C&W).
Getting to Cheltenham is quite a difficult cross-country trip for me. It was about 3 hours both ways so, having left home at 6.45am, I was pretty tired when I got back about 8pm. Here are a few of mine, the first 2 at Toddington, the others at Winchcombe. In the first photo 35006 is at the rear of a train headed by 61264. The second shows it returning from Broadway.

Martin

IMG_0018_1500px.jpg.4a5a174a6073bf2651c1c5c6e3f07269.jpg

IMG_0021_1500px.jpg

IMG_0024_1500px.jpg

IMG_0035_1500px.jpg

IMG_0038_1500px.jpg

Edited by martinT
Additional sentence explaining 35006 photos.
  • Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

We went a few weeks ago and saw the B1 and the MN.  A rather good preserved line (one of my benchmarks is whether they bother to connect the steam heating on a cool wet day, which they did).  My only criticism is that you can't really see much of the locos at Toddington - the viewing area is just a chance to look over the fence and stuff in the yard. Also, their teatowels are too expensive (nothing else in the shop was particularly overpriced...maybe they're hand-woven by artisans from Cheltenham Ladies' College).