Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Where's Bertiedog?

• RMweb Premium

Whilst reading a thread last night about Motors, during which Bertiedog had contributed several times, I realised that I hadn't seen a recent posting from him for some time (in fact he last visited RMWeb back in Sept 2018).  Having found his wide-ranging knowledge very informative on numerous occasions over the years I wonder if he's ok - does anyone know Bertiedog and if he's ok?

polybear

• Friendly/supportive 3

On 26/05/2019 at 08:00, jwealleans said:

He's taken sabbaticals before.

True, but I have a feeling they might have been involuntary, courtesy of the NHS and anno domini

I don't know his age, but from some of the things he's posted he must have been around in the late 40s / early 50s . So an expression of polite concern is understandable

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Not the only one. I miss several. Kenton has vanished and Horsetan. Both gentlemen could be challenging but I enjoyed their humour most of the time.

I wax only thinking this morning I haven't seen anything from Kenton for a while.

The forum is certainly more interesting when he's around.

Edited by rab
Typo
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

If I disappear it is because I have:

been sacked by Andy;

died;

both of those maybe coinciding;

emigrated.

Emigrating wouldn't stop you. We do have the internet in other parts of the world!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

Horsetan (according to EarlyRisers sometime ago) had a run in with A N Official and has gone completely.

Another one who vanished completely was Dutch Master who had a run in over meat labelling on ER.

Travellin Trev, from north Devon but living & working in Nigeria also vanished quite suddenly.

RM Web should have a cold store, where your profile slips into if it is not used for say, 6 months.  It's not deleted but just stored in case you come back.  That way we would at least know that someone may be MIA.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Not the only one. I miss several. Kenton has vanished and Horsetan. Both gentlemen could be challenging but I enjoyed their humour most of the time.

Saw Ivan (Horsetan) a few weeks back at one of the shows (Aly Paly ?) Never had time for a chat but he looked to be well

Kentom has not posted for a couple of years, and Bertie dog not been online for quite a few months

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

It is one of the things about the internet and online profiles... we often feel we know other contibutors on a forum like this but it is normally just in a superficial manner. People drop in and out based on the complexities of life and often disappear all together, without knowing what has happened. Let's hope all of those folk mentioned are well and have simply changed priorities, routine or found a new hobby! 

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

There was a line in a book my wife read some years ago, concerning the reduction in a church congregation.

"Death, Rome, and umbrage."

(No religious commentary intended)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I don't know if its a fact or just a false impression, but it seems those who I used to look out for do not post as often since the forums last upgrade. Cannot see why as its easier to use, I even seem to spend less time on the forum. As has been reported several of the more prolific contributors seem to have reduced their posts

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

I have noticed as a general trend that overall the contributions to RMWeb since the redesign has gone down a bit, in some areas replaced by quite a bit of axe grinding and complaining, much of it unjustified (with the possible exception of the infamous DJM May 1st announcement thread of course!)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I haven't. Looking at the bottom bit I'm sure they have been quite a lot of new members signing up. Particularly since the TV programme and the Market Deeping incident.

Maybe the total amount of posts have declined due to some of the members who have left were ones who posted constantly. I think both Horsetan and Kenton had post counts in the thousands. Something like 20,000 each. I think Coachman's post count was similar.

Jason

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Nile said:

There seem to be plenty that find the new version less user friendly. I'm not very keen on it but persevere.

In my post earlier I said I use the site less as do those whose threads I enjoy, there is something about the new version that's less appealing/addictive, don't think its ease of use though.

Do miss the likes of Larry G etc, a big loss to the forum, as are the comments from Kenton and Horsetan, and of course both the knowledge and ideas of Bertiedog

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

I would say most if not all of Larry's postings were either exceptionally inspiring or informative, agree there are a tiny spattering of folk who seem to shoot at both hips, but they tend to be policed by the members. In Larry's defence he has suffered a bit from scammers. As I said the forum is far poorer without him 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

11 minutes ago, hayfield said:

As I said the forum is far poorer without him 

In your opinion. Please don't present it as fact.

Best we move on.

Another missing forum member is Derek Stuart, who hasn't been online for a couple of years. Last heard of about to embark on a road trip off the beaten track down through Spain. I tend to assume the worst, but I do hope he got to make that trip.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1