Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Where's Bertiedog?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

On a slightly more serious note, which of us could exit this mortal coil and electronically there would be no one to inform the rest of the forum/computer world? I for one could disappear without anyone knowing, (put your hands down at the back!), and I'm sure many others of us don't have a back up plan in place, unlike some who have close modelling friends on here, or as in some cases, wives/partners who have been able to pass information on.

Mike.

I've left a note, requesting my Executors post something along the lines of "Polybear has snuffed it".

As to how many, if any, will actually miss a cute, cuddly little Bear is another topic entirely :cry:

• Friendly/supportive 8

23 hours ago, Ravenser said:

My casual outside impression of WT is - my first interests lie within the original ER , and the GW is probably the Grouping company I have least interest in, serving the area of the country with which I have least connection. So a Western-focussed forum isn't a positive to me. It also seems to pride itself on a very austere ethos where anything outside constructional detail is not to be discussed - I have interests that are not strictly confined to the soldering iron, the file and the solvent brush, and a forum where the monitors jump on anyone who strays from the beaten path to look at the flowers in the verge and listen to the birds in the hedgerows is not for me . I'd be in trouble for straying very fast . I have a sense that lines have been drawn, quite tightly , and they are not to be crossed. 

That was the bit I like on it. In the workbench threads any way.

There are a few excellent builds that are of kits/scratchbuilds that are showing the build from start to finish, but it's viewing the photos which are the problem. You have to sign up to look at them as they are only tiny thumbnails with no detail if you enlarge the screen. I might bite the bullet and sign up at one point.

Going the other way, a lot of the more basic model railway forums don't appeal to me at all. Not better or worse than RMWeb, just different. This is by far the best all round forum though.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I have often wondered when names one sees quite regularly over several years stop posting what has happened to them. Have they passed on, moved to another forum, had the "sack" or have just given up the hobby.

As to Western Thunder I have been a member for getting on for 10 years and over that on various forms of RMWeb. I have never found WT to be condescending or looking down on my basically RTR efforts, in fact I have had advice and praise as much as I get here. I have NEVER felt that as I do not build locos I am being looked down on. Oh by the way, for those who have never visited WT whilst much is GWR/WR an awful lot is other region. Probably the main difference is that there is a lot more about the larger scales O gauge and above, than on here, although there is 2mm, all the different 4mms as well.    

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 04/06/2019 at 16:44, cctransuk said:

So I'm waiting, presumably to be 'vetted', whilst reading some of the very interesting threads.

I now have full access to Western Thunder, and note several familiar names from RMweb - both current and former members.

I have had a good look through the threads - particularly the 4mm. scale ones - and the content is far more to my taste, and reminiscent to what I used to enjoy here at RMweb. Lots of practical, detailed modelling - mostly from kits - with comprehensive construction write-ups; very little concerning RTR.

.... and, of course, Larry G. is there; writing and illustrating inspirational posts in the politest of phraseology!

I shall be a regular visitor to WT!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I remember my early days on RMweb, there was someone posting great shots of model locos but was heavily criticised because he added smoke & steam effects. I personally could see nothing wrong and the photos were very good.

Nowadays many are doing similar.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I do enjoy RMWeb, but one thing that does wind me up here is that for some people, to be a railway modeller, you have to model locos or stock. 

I do modify RTR locos and stock but my enjoyment is modelling buildings and scenery - both parts of a railway. Does that mean I am a modeller or not? I know what I think. 

There are many aspects to our wonderful hobby, we should be welcoming of those who enjoy any or all of them. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

I do enjoy RMWeb, but one thing that does wind me up here is that for some people, to be a railway modeller, you have to model locos or stock. 

I do modify RTR locos and stock but my enjoyment is modelling buildings and scenery - both parts of a railway. Does that mean I am a modeller or not? I know what I think. 

There are many aspects to our wonderful hobby, we should be welcoming of those who enjoy any or all of them. 

Roy

Just ignore "some people", it's only bl**dy toy trains at the end of the day despite what "some people" might think/pontificate.

Mike.

• Agree 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

I would agree, but it is only a small proportion of folk who think like that. This hobby is a broad church with room for every approach. 

Personally, I have very limited interest in modelling locos and stock and, whilst I do enjoy knocking together the occasional kit, I mainly stick to RTR nowadays. I do enjoy weathering my stock mind. My main interest is in layout building - design and planning, strucures, scenery, really the creation of the overall setting and scene of a model railway - and would rather spend my time focused on these things rather than say building a locomotive. I certainly have no desire to whittle an engine out of a biscuit tin...... but then again I admire the skill and patience of those who can and do! I know I am lacking in both ability and the wherewithal to do so! But I accept my limitations and focus on the aspects of the hobby that I enjoy most. Does that make me less of a modeller? Undoubtedly so in the opinion of many, but I'll live :derisive:

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Just ignore "some people", it's only bl**dy toy trains at the end of the day despite what "some people" might think/pontificate.

Mike.

Yep, that's the thing we should never forget..... from Stoke Summit and Pete Waterman's magnus opus to Mrs Cannybody laying a circle of trainset track on the floor for her grandchildren, we're all just playing with you trains. Whatever our approach, as long as we get enjoyment from it, then that is all that matters and we have no need to justify to anyone else :)

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

No, no.   True railway modelling only happens when you have enough track and trains to model an entire days operation at Kings Cross or Clapham Junction.  Buiding locos and cars is only a means to that end.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

There's many, many facets to "railway modelling"/ "playing with toy trains", and they all require different skills. I think this place is reasonably good in terms of people not coming over all superior when someone else wants to focus on a different aspect of the hobby and really isn't bothered by things like overscale handrails - unlike some real life interactions I've had. 

There's no right or wrong way to enjoy an overgrown (or indeed box-fresh) train set, and so long as it's kept in perspective. We're all just trying to enjoy ourselves.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

You know what, I don't care if some people only model the correct rivet on a smokebox saddle and it takes ten years to complete and make it look like it did in August 1939 just before the terrible conflict we have just been remembering and others run Thomas and a set of beautifully kit built Gresleys and Thompsons including a few rarely seen dining cars that only ran in one train once a week in 1956. That is as long as they don't expect me to do exactly that, or at least the same sort of thing with my particular regional and historical choice  of train set. 

If people don't like my ways on RMW then I don't care about that either.

RMW is my entertainment, along with other things believe it or not, and through it I have developed both virtual and actual friendships that I would never have imagined years ago and learned loads. I have snooped on other Forums and they are OK, however I am probably sticking to my Railway Modeller level of interest and not taking on the MRJ level, although I do occasionally read that if it shows something I really want to know about or want to admire.

So, where is Bertiedog? I still don't know, but I do actually care. He or she was in 'the club' and it would be good to know they are OK.

Phil

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/06/2019 at 08:19, Enterprisingwestern said:

On a slightly more serious note, which of us could exit this mortal coil and electronically there would be no one to inform the rest of the forum/computer world? I for one could disappear without anyone knowing, (put your hands down at the back!), and I'm sure many others of us don't have a back up plan in place, unlike some who have close modelling friends on here, or as in some cases, wives/partners who have been able to pass information on.

Mike.

I've thought of that too.

I suppose there are three options;

1) Leave instructions for RMweb admin to be told.

2) Leave contact details of family with RMweb admin so that a prolonged absence can be checked out if concerned.

3) Keep them guessing.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I treat RMweb as a resource. I have extracted some wonderful ideas and inspirations over the many years...and Bertiedog was the source of many of those ideas and inspirations......

I hope he is well.....I shall keep an eye out for his posts .....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

Roy

How can you not be a modeller when you are modifying RTR items, let alone doing the scenic part.

If you have to be a scratch builder to be a modeller then 99% on here fail

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/06/2019 at 20:06, Talltim said:

They do have the internet abroad, I understand

But mine did die for a couple of hours this evening. Back up now.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Rob Sheepybloke only uses rtr track & stock with rtp buildings, but anyone who has seen his layouts would not doubt he is a modeller.

Yes he does Stu and his threads on WT have been very well received despite some folk thinking you can only post there if you own a lathe and wear a hair shirt. Just like here there are some very helpful folk, very willing to share and help.

I post my modelling there now. Yes it's 7mm but it certainly isn't WR. The majority of my posts have been scenic and building related. Other threads on there have covered building WW2 aircraft kits and laser cut buildings - so it's certainly not exclusively brass kit building.

Many of the WT members also post on here. There's very little in the way of them and us. Whilst the footfall on WT is far lower, there are more 'making' threads and very few moaning about RTR ones and there's not really an equivalent to Wheeltappers. It not going to suit everyone, nowhere will.

There's certainly room for multiple forums and there's nothing stopping anyone joining one, many or all. Everyone wants something slightly different from forums and different folk will gravitate towards the one that suits best. This may change over time or indeed somebody may post different types of content on different forums.

Horses for courses. No need for forum bashing IMO - be happy with where you like to be.

(the above general comments not aimed at Stu, just a useful post to latch on to)

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 02/06/2019 at 06:54, Mallard60022 said:

Not the only one. I miss several. Kenton has vanished and Horsetan. Both gentlemen could be challenging but I enjoyed their humour most of the time.

Kenton has "vanished" before, I believe as a result of external requirements, but he did return.
I have noticed that some profile names are in grey and the profile holder is a "retired" profile - does that mean they have chosen to quit the forum?

• Informative/Useful 1

Forums can become a hobby in themselves rather than being a part of the hobby.. The tricky bit seems to be balancing forum time with actual doing time. Some people just stop posting and get on with things while others need to "leave" a forum. Others migrate to a different forum altogether. Personally, I am finding all of them less interesting. I simply prefer to get on and build things. I have lots to build and only a finite amount. I would rather be looking at a wall full of models on my death bed than a monitor with 35,000 posts on a forum.

Craig W

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 04/06/2019 at 09:42, chris p bacon said:

Sorry John I have to disagree, while Larry's work was top notch his attitude to others was not. I found him a toxic poster with a lack of respect for others, he hid/deleted more of his posts than he left which led to disjointed conversations. He would insult a poster then delete the post, (he did this to me twice). He told me once that he had nothing to learn from the forum as he considered himself the most skilled person here, I suggested that he looked at the subject of manners as he was but a novice in that subject.

Dave, I know where you're coming from. Coach was undoubtedly capable of being gratuitously rude.  He decided to add me to his hit list when I first joined. I stood up to him (had no choice, really) and eventually he laid off and we had OK, indeed, cordial, exchanges and I could gently rib him and he'd be fine about it. So, things turned out OK, but I wouldn't excuse his tendency to gun for people and it was so unnecessary for him to pick a fight in the first place. 

But, I've had people run to teacher about me in the past and have been very near to being one of the 'disappeared', of whom, I suspect, there are quite a number, so I cannot say that I like the idea of him being expunged.  That said, I do not know what he did to get thrown out, and he may have left the higher powers with no choice.     

15 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I do not know what he did to get thrown out, and he may have left the higher powers with no choice.

I was one of the ones who on occasion called him out for his attitude to others, in particular newish members with only a limited skillset but a willingness to learn. His attitude to RTR annoyed me in particular, and a favourite of his was to refer to Hornby magazine as the "Box-opener's Beano". As has been pointed out, another favourite trick was to insult someone on open forum and then rather rapidly delete the post. You cannot treat people like that and expect to get away with it, so I guess it caught up with him eventually.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/121995-carrog-in-4mm-ruabon-discussion/page/100/

I would be the first to admit that he's an outstanding modeller, but that doesn't give anyone a perpetual "get out of jail card" to be rude to others. I'm glad he's still posting elsewhere, giving others the chance to follow his work. I'm just glad he isn't posting here anymore.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

37 minutes ago, Pete 75C said:

I was one of the ones who on occasion called him out for his attitude to others, in particular newish members with only a limited skillset but a willingness to learn. His attitude to RTR annoyed me in particular, and a favourite of his was to refer to Hornby magazine as the "Box-opener's Beano". As has been pointed out, another favourite trick was to insult someone on open forum and then rather rapidly delete the post. You cannot treat people like that and expect to get away with it, so I guess it caught up with him eventually.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/121995-carrog-in-4mm-ruabon-discussion/page/100/

I would be the first to admit that he's an outstanding modeller, but that doesn't give anyone a perpetual "get out of jail card" to be rude to others. I'm glad he's still posting elsewhere, giving others the chance to follow his work. I'm just glad he isn't posting here anymore.

No, I agree.  Yes, I was not just new to RMWeb but newly returned to the hobby and largely dependent upon RTR, lacking the skills, equipment time and money to become an instant master-craftsman!  Thus, I conformed to all his prejudices, not doubt.  There was just no need or justification for the attitude and behaviour displayed at times. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/05/2019 at 06:41, polybear said:

Whilst reading a thread last night about Motors, during which Bertiedog had contributed several times, I realised that I hadn't seen a recent posting from him for some time (in fact he last visited RMWeb back in Sept 2018).  Having found his wide-ranging knowledge very informative on numerous occasions over the years I wonder if he's ok - does anyone know Bertiedog and if he's ok?

polybear

Stephen.....IIRC his name......is/was a character in the true sense of the term. He could gripe for England,be irritating  and cantankerous.That said,his posts were full of practical knowledge and demonstrated his undoubted skill in modelling which he generously communicated to all on this forum.You always read and respected his posts.

I hope he is still around but I remember his posts complaining that he had certain health and mobility issues which prevented him travelling to model rail events such as NEC Warley and others....some of you might recall his resentment at the “exclusivity “ of Bachmann Collectors Club “lounge “ at the show.

I hope that these health issues are not the reason for his silence.If you are still in action,Stephen, we need your encyclopaedic knowledge and loveable eccentricity here .

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3