Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Where's Bertiedog?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

No, I agree.  Yes, I was not just new to RMWeb but newly returned to the hobby and largely dependent upon RTR, lacking the skills, equipment time and money to become an instant master-craftsman!  Thus, I conformed to all his prejudices, not doubt.  There was just no need or justification for the attitude and behaviour displayed at times. 

The problem is that Larry was never entirely comfortable amongst a gathering of lowly mortals. He has a certain reputation....deservedly so...of a craftsman of his trade.He would not as he might express it ( not me,I hasten to add ) suffer fools gladly,which is part of the human condition occasionally carried by the great and good whether self anointed or otherwise.If you link this arrogance with a volatility of colourful self expression which he demonstrated too many times on this forum then you inevitability sit on the self destruct button.He obviously has some demons to fight witnessed by the times he deleted his own posts.One has to ponder upon whether such expression is part of everyday existence or just confined to cyberspace.Is this the man or his “other side” ?

I regret we have had to lose someone of his unquestionable knowledge and skill.I hope he finds a productive outlet for them elsewhere. We disagree robustly on this forum but hopefully never descend to ill mannered outbursts.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The problem is that Larry was never entirely comfortable amongst a gathering of lowly mortals. He has a certain reputation....deservedly so...of a craftsman of his trade.He would not as he might express it ( not me,I hasten to add ) suffer fools gladly,which is part of the human condition occasionally carried by the great and good whether self anointed or otherwise.If you link this arrogance with a volatility of colourful self expression which he demonstrated too many times on this forum then you inevitability sit on the self destruct button.He obviously has some demons to fight witnessed by the times he deleted his own posts.One has to ponder upon whether such expression is part of everyday existence or just confined to cyberspace.Is this the man or his “other side” ?

I regret we have had to lose someone of his unquestionable knowledge and skill.I hope he finds a productive outlet for them elsewhere. We disagree robustly on this forum but hopefully never descend to ill mannered outbursts.

Sorry that does not excuse his (or anyone else who is of the same attitude) appalling behaviour. Lowly mortals really ?? we are all the same.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, micklner said:

Sorry that does not excuse his (or anyone else who is of the same attitude) appalling behaviour. Lowly mortals really ?? we are all the same.

You entirely miss the point. My post is no apologia,let alone excuse for his rudeness.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile, back on Planet Bertiedog, I enjoyed the fact that despite being a trad kit-and-scratch-builder he could think outside that box. ISTR he had started a model using 6mm gauge track for narrow gauge stock of the Feldbahn design, serving a German schloss. Nothing traditional about that. I hope he is still punching.   

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Larry was, apparently, dismissed for upsetting other members with a reference to mental illness.

The irony is that he displays all the characteristics of a person who has 'issues' of that type. I say this, not as a criticism, but as someone who has personal knowledge of such 'issues', and recognises the symptoms. It is a shame that the same concern for the feelings of those who are prone to such problems could not have extended to Larry himself.

Still, he seems to have found a new home at WT, where he enjoys the company of like-minded (!) friends; (amongst whom I count myself).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Larry was, apparently, dismissed for upsetting other members with a reference to mental illness.

The irony is that he displays all the characteristics of a person who has 'issues' of that type. I say this, not as a criticism, but as someone who has personal knowledge of such 'issues', and recognises the symptoms. It is a shame that the same concern for the feelings of those who are prone to such problems could not have extended to the Larry himself.

Still, he seems to have found a new home at WT, where he enjoys the company of like-minded (!) friends; (amongst whom I count myself).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Indeed. Agree with that observation.Hope he’s comfortable with that 

At times I find that certain sites such as this I haven't visited for long periods of time.  I get involved with other tasks then months later think I haven't looked on RMWeb for a few months.  On one of the earlier versions of the forum as I had many different email addresses that I could use enabled me to have more than one ID.  (All are gone now.)

Other distractions include travelling, playing with 12":1' trains, cars, other media, research and work!

I bet that many of those not posting on here for some period of time (if not gone through illness) are due to many of the above.

Like the mess room at the railway there are folks on here who have attitudes that you don't like yet at times can be pleasant enough that you feel they need some assistance with a query.  The nuances of spoken word can't be expressed as easily in written text, you could make a single line response that some take um bridge to yet others can read it and see the comical side to.  

There are no silly questions, only silly answers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

It's interesting to see Larry behaving himself in the WT forums and I do wonder whether he's perhaps realized that he needs forums more than they need him? (RMWeb seems to be soldering on without him)

He was a prolific poster on here before his ban. Perhaps he thought he was above being banned but it was only right to do so if he had had numerous warnings, it must have created something of a hole in his life judging by the time he spent on here

There are only so many online model railway forums with so much modelling content which is hopefully having a bearing on his current behavior. Just a pity he didn't take the warnings on board

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I wasn't immune to that consideration and had previously worked around and through various explosions but he'd had more second chances than Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor. We all draw the line somewhere.

Agreed, a friend of mine has just been permanently banned on another forum, here in Oz.

He had a partial ban imposed on him for about a month. Soon after being re-instated he went over the top calling out someone, as not being qualified for a job, after he said he was. As soon as I saw his post, I thought you haven't learnt to back off.

It took the Mods a couple of days to confer, but he wrote to me today, advising me that he's been banned, over that very issue. 

I guess most of us say the wrong thing from time to time and I've had posts deleted on occasion here. But I suspect you and the rest of the Mods are on first name terms, with a very small percentage of members, over their comments.

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Ryde-on-time said:

It's interesting to see Larry behaving himself in the WT forums and I do wonder whether he's perhaps realized that he needs forums more than they need him? (RMWeb seems to be soldering on without him)

An unintended pun towards building brass coaches?:D

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Regarding some of the names that you don't see on here anymore through being banned, I'm happy to see the back of most of them. Some were just dead wood, who produced far more hot air than modelling, and some were just arrogant t***s who thought they were better than the rest of us. They seemed to forget that this forum isn't theirs and the owners have the right to give them the boot if they don't follow the rules.

Those who have just disappeared of their own accord don't necessarily come into the above, of course. Whatever happened to Halfwit? I liked him and his industrial workbench posts.

Edited by Ruston
The swear filter needs adjusting!
  • Like 10
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Regarding some of the names that you don't see on here anymore through being banned, I'm happy to see the back of most of them. Some were just dead wood, who produced far more hot air than modelling, and some were just arrogant t***s who thought they were better than the rest of us. They seemed to forget that this forum isn't theirs and the owners have the right to give them the boot if they don't follow the rules.

Those who have just disappeared of their own accord don't necessarily come into the above, of course. Whatever happened to Halfwit? I liked him and his industrial workbench posts.

Say it like it is buddy.:o

Phil

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Another "dog" related former contributor who disappeared some time ago (ISTR after an unwarranted outburst directed towards AY :nono:) was "CelticWarDog" - the name gave a bit of clue - produced STUNNING models of SR Clasp buildings & Substations but was apparently "certifiable" ............................. :crazy_mini:

Ok here is a couple short observations in my eyes.

If any of you have met  or ever get to meet Larry personally he is a lovely bloke, with a wicked dry sense of humour, and a font of information about Railways.

WT - Western Thunder I find is a great forum, very inspirational modelling on all skill levels, and certainly not a clique that I have noticed.

The above are a bit of ying against the yang in the two subjects discussed in this thread.

best regards

Craig

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

In a support of Craig above, I too have regular face to face meetings with LG as he lives just a stones throw from me, and I too have had no cause for concern with him, polite, helpful, very skilled and a very dry wit.

I've also had 'get togethers' at my home where Larry has attended with many other modelers, and  certainly no friction has been noticed. In fact they've all gone very well indeed.

Again, like Craig, a bit of Ying to balance the Yang!!!#

Jinty ;)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

What this possibly proves, is that in a face to face situation LG is very different to the online persona he has/had.  The anonimity of the keyboard can mean people are unreserved and lose their manners, or actually show their true personality.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

May be Larry was rubbed up by some snowflake type comment, who knows !

But in this day and age it is very common for people to get offended for others, who probably weren’t offended in the first place, you know the 3rd party I am offended for you syndrome, it’s so BBC these days.

best regards

Craig 

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Dave

I think several things happen online differently than what happens when we interact face to face

For instance (I am not talking about what Larry has written) face to face you can say something as a joke which will be taken in jest due to facial interaction, which in writing may be taken another way, or many just take a statement totally out of context to put a completely different spin on what has been said

We also form opinions of folk which are totally wrong, perhaps giving them less leeway than we give others who we like more

Many have now become snowflakes, when either a joke, difference of opinion or a criticism made/offered. Or simply will not accept others point of view may be equally valid

Still many of the missing are missed by many

• Like 2
  • Agree 1