Rheinland - May 2019

MarshLane

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for sharing! As for what that V100 was doing: I would speculate that as it appears to be running light engine, economically speaking, it was doing nothing at all ;-)

If it's actually V100 2299 it belongs to the Vulcan-Eifel-Bahn, a local preserved railway operator, goods haulier and hirer of locos, here's their page about V100s: https://www.veb.de/fahrzeuge/fahrzeuge/detail/Diesellok-Baureihe-212-Typ-V-100--4n/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ta for the photos.

Do you know what service was being operated by the "IC2" 146+double-deckers in your last photo? I saw them on Stuttgart-Singen workings last year, but obviously they've expanded their sphere of operation.

There's an astonishing amount of freight down the Rhine corridor, more on the east bank but still a fair bit on the west.

As for the BLS lime green/silver locos, I reckon it's a bit of an odd colour combination, sets my teeth on edge.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

Ta for the photos.

Do you know what service was being operated by the "IC2" 146+double-deckers in your last photo? I saw them on Stuttgart-Singen workings last year, but obviously they've expanded their sphere of operation.

There's an astonishing amount of freight down the Rhine corridor, more on the east bank but still a fair bit on the west.

As for the BLS lime green/silver locos, I reckon it's a bit of an odd colour combination, sets my teeth on edge.

When I see such things it's not my teeth I worry about it's the wallet:D.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys,

Glad people found them interesting - I'll post some others later on if they are wanted!

On 27/05/2019 at 08:49, readingtype said:

Thanks for sharing! As for what that V100 was doing: I would speculate that as it appears to be running light engine, economically speaking, it was doing nothing at all ;-)

If it's actually V100 2299 it belongs to the Vulcan-Eifel-Bahn, a local preserved railway operator, goods haulier and hirer of locos, here's their page about V100s: https://www.veb.de/fahrzeuge/fahrzeuge/detail/Diesellok-Baureihe-212-Typ-V-100--4n/

You are totally spot on - it was V100 2299.  A poor going away picture - I was in Filsen for an hour before breakfast, so this would have been round 0645, and the light level wasn't great, hence the ISO was up on the camera, giving noise.  Rather than carry a big DSLR when travelling around Europe I have a small Nikon 1 interchangeable lens set up which is great in 90% of cases, but doesn't do well in poor light.  But thanks for the link, thats useful and interesting!

IU20190522-DSC_6258.jpg.7b997c280103c7fc4417f437ddb17c6a.jpg

On 27/05/2019 at 09:13, eastwestdivide said:

There is a lot of freight on the East Bank till around 11.30am, then again from about 4ish.  Our hotel overlooked the river and during the evening, it was almost continuous.  But while out photographing, I suspect on two out of the three days, we saw maybe 9-10 freights between 11am and 4pm.  Between 4pm and 9pm I'd estimate over 20-25 were on the move.  During the middle of the day 12-2, both banks were really quiet apart from the EMUs.  A couple of ICE units put in an appearance, but little freight, but the West Bank did start to pick up from 2pm.  I'm hoping for a return visit before October!

As for the IC2 double decker sets, they always seemed to be heading north/west out of Koln (ie away from the river) on the hour.  However, they may have just been going out to the depot. They were certainly regular, but Id say no more than one set an hour appearing.  We never saw a white double-deck set at Koblenz or down the Rhine Valley so that limits the options.  Certainly we arrived on IC2028 on Platform 4 at 1005 at Koln on Friday, and there was a set sat in Platform 3, which departed over the River, maybe 10 minutes later.  Also to help, there was an OBB Nightjet service with Motorail vehicles on the rear that arrived 10:57 and departed 11:04, that followed one set out away from the river.  Hope that helps, I was hoping to try and caption the photos from the Arrival/Departures boards on the DB App, but lack of platform numbers is making it difficult!

Some shots of the IC2 sets...

IU20190524-DSC_7558.jpg.4f42a5f73b60332d5847ec846d0a3d9c.jpg

IU20190524-DSC_7424.jpg.88a6e2f823add2413b9df696704424e9.jpg

IU20190524-DSC_1177.jpg.64f1822c505bafbc5d61972fd951d8d0.jpg

IU20190524-DSC_1160.jpg.43b8cee2a18f5869d3192c6ff5419b5d.jpg

On 27/05/2019 at 11:12, duff man said:

When I see such things it's not my teeth I worry about it's the wallet:D.

I fear I am the same ... it does make you realise what an interesting and varied railway scene it is to model!  Oh dear, did I really just say that ......

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
Images reinstated after 2021 rmWeb server crash
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just had one thought ... somebody with a better knowledge of service patterns may be able to make out what the destination boards say.  Digital displays and high shutter speeds are not conducive to clear text unfortunately.

IU20190524-DSC_7558.jpg.201dbe9611f8edd656d5bf22f48448e3.jpg

IU20190524-DSC_7561.jpg.95300d16b8f713924bc6ba6fdd84c36c.jpg

The more I look at that last bodyside one, the more I think it is the German for 'Not in Service' - suggesting it was a terminating service arriving from the Koln Messe/Deutz direction.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 7

Think the last IC2 photo is going to "Nicht Einsteigen" or "Do not board" *

However, a quick google around for IC2 Köln found this page:

https://inside.bahn.de/intercity-2-streckennetz/

suggesting it would be the Cologne-Hanover-Leipzig-Dresden service (yellow on the map)

*reminding me of a colleague's tale of waking up bleary-eyed on a night train somewhere in Italy, thinking it looked like a nice place to visit later, and remembering the station name as "Sottopassaggio" or "subway".

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

Think the last IC2 photo is going to "Nicht Einsteigen" or "Do not board" *

However, a quick google around for IC2 Köln found this page:

https://inside.bahn.de/intercity-2-streckennetz/

suggesting it would be the Cologne-Hanover-Leipzig-Dresden service (yellow on the map)

That was the wording I was trying to remember! I'd assumed 'Not in service' but in the logical German language, 'Do not board' makes more sense.  I nearly suggested the Cologne-Dresden service from the Departure boards, but to be honest, didn't want to stick my neck out and be wrong!!  Well done that man.

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Superb pics Rich, brings back thoughts that I really should keep away from pics like this.:fie:

Now about my next project?

I know, I've been having the same thoughts, which has completely confused my layout planning (all I seem to do these days!) Really must stay on British tracks, really must stay on British tracks, really must .... hmmm! :)

Rich

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, MarshLane said:

I know, I've been having the same thoughts, which has completely confused my layout planning (all I seem to do these days!) Really must stay on British tracks, really must stay on British tracks, really must .... hmmm! :)

OK, I'm biased, but surely: in for a penny, in for a pound? I think that having returned quite recently to railway modelling I get much more out of the crazy British railway (and railway modelling) world now that (in theory) I'm modelling continental stuff. It just helps put things in context. The way real railways are done in Britain -- and to a lesser extent the places British railway practice went -- is so radically different from elsewhere. And I reckon the same can be said for the modelling. I spent the most pleasant part of my day kitbashing a Cambrian kit, using old Märklin axles with Gibson wheels on them ... just need to think what on earth to do with those awful pizza cutter discs now left over!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, readingtype said:

OK, I'm biased, but surely: in for a penny, in for a pound? I think that having returned quite recently to railway modelling I get much more out of the crazy British railway (and railway modelling) world now that (in theory) I'm modelling continental stuff. It just helps put things in context. The way real railways are done in Britain -- and to a lesser extent the places British railway practice went -- is so radically different from elsewhere. And I reckon the same can be said for the modelling. I spent the most pleasant part of my day kitbashing a Cambrian kit, using old Märklin axles with Gibson wheels on them ... just need to think what on earth to do with those awful pizza cutter discs now left over!

Oh in many ways I agree.  Nothing against continental modelling.  I look at the current UK scene, and as an industry we are very polarised.  Pendolino's WCML only, 91s ECML only, 90s East Anglia (passenger/freight) and WCML (freight).  Probably 66s are the only loco type that can be used across the board.  158s and 170s fall into a similar category, but the liveries make it very specific.  In terms of freight traffic, intermodal is fairly interchangeable, but thats about it.  Mendip stone is primarily Westbury/London area, petroleum is constantly decreasing, coal has just about gone (a few pockets remain), very little freight in Scotland, Wales (away from Cardiff) or the South West.

I appreciate that the awarding of concessions to different companies like the Rhine Rhur Express (RRX) and National Express on some services is starting to create a similar view in Germany, but you can take loco-hauled passenger with single or double-deck stock in many areas, ICE Series 1-3 (and possibly 4) are wide spread, freight services are everywhere, long and short.  DB Traxx and Vectron locos, plus the older classes and the numerous private owner fleets - during my time out there I recall RheinCargo, RTB Cargo, Railpool, MRCE, Dispolok, former SNCB 28xx Traxx, SBB, BLS, OBB, Hectorail, and many others.  All in all it does make for a far more varied, colourful, interesting model railway!  My comment about must stay on British tracks was more that I seem to get planning something these days, with the best of intentions, then my attention gets diverted to other things, and the plans change!  But I have looked at the variety of European stock available from Roco, Marklin, Fleishmann etc, since I got back and have thought, wow!  There are some really nice models here.  Ok, probably a bit more expensive than the UK market in HO terms but that is just one of the differences - and no different to saying O gauge is more expensive than OO - its all down to what the modeller decides (or in my case, can't decide!!)

Rich

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 27/05/2019 at 11:38, MarshLane said:

Thanks guys,

Glad people found them interesting - I'll post some others later on if they are wanted!

... it does make you realise what an interesting and varied railway scene it is to model!  Oh dear, did I really just say that ......

Rich

Hi Rich,

Many thanks for these great pics, it's good to see this area again! Yes, please to more!

I think it was a couple of years ago that Mrs E and myself stayed in Rudesheim and it was relatively quiet compared to years earlier. I understand that local residents had made numerous complaints about freight train noise, this was why there is now a quiet period at night  (not that long, really).

As for modelling current German outline, it's FANTASTIC!

On 27/05/2019 at 12:02, Andrew P said:

Superb pics Rich, brings back thoughts that I really should keep away from pics like this.:fie:

Now about my next project?

Hi Andy,

Now I know that you know how good Roco and Fleischmann are/were, well - they're really amazing now, especially the newer high end models but with prices to match, sadly.

Come on in, it's great!!!

Cheers,

John

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Hi Rich,

Many thanks for these great pics, it's good to see this area again! Yes, please to more!

I think it was a couple of years ago that Mrs E and myself stayed in Rudesheim and it was relatively quiet compared to years earlier. I understand that local residents had made numerous complaints about freight train noise, this was why there is now a quiet period at night  (not that long, really).

As for modelling current German outline, it's FANTASTIC!

Hi Andy,

Now I know that you know how good Roco and Fleischmann are/were, well - they're really amazing now, especially the newer high end models but with prices to match, sadly.

Cheers,

John

A few pics of my German Layout. Theses are from old, pre digital day photographs.

IMG_7838.JPG.83039a6805525fe59ff73dfcbca7150f.JPG

IMG_7839.JPG.215f7f62a7b383b66a24e5f102a37e77.JPG

IMG_7840.JPG.4aa92dfd9f3cf781b07211ee84fb995a.JPG

IMG_7841.JPG.d719c609f1c0f2530b41d118a4760c68.JPGIMG_7842.JPG.b34e394de008336eea2d5b9406f4e41b.JPG

IMG_7843.JPG.108e07e8be87fbc29d37ab8a94c64b14.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

oh why do I look at these topics!   Great pics .  For a while now I've been thinking about maybe expanding into German / Swiss railways as I had great holiday there in 1978 and again a couple of times  in the early 90s . You've got me in the mood again, although I'd be more into 70s/80s traction, in particular one of my favourites the DB 103.  The stock can be acquired second hand at reasonable cost .  Great pics I'd love to see more . That track layout at Cologne looks complex , all these double slips!

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh Andy!  Just think what you could do in that railway den once SMS and the two OO gauge layouts are sold on :P

I am glad that people are enjoying the pics anyway, its nice to be able to share them with like minded individuals!

4 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Hi Rich,

John

John,

Thanks - the locals were saying that DB are seeking/have been granted permission to build a new inland route around Rudesheim, which will remove the Riverside section through the town, that will become a pedestrianised area.  The new line running in a tunnel apparently and coming back onto the original course around the current station.  I couldn't quite see how it could happen, but if its true, it would take one of the most photographic sections away.  I was very lucky with a couple of the shots! I'll post some more this evening or tomorrow.

You are very true tho, the quality of current models is very high. I don't object to paying higher prices, when the standard is improving, although I still think £70 for a Bachmann Mk2 is getting silly!  But certainly loco wise the quality and running standard of Roco/Fleischmann etc is superb.  You really all must stop encouraging me!!

3 hours ago, Legend said:

oh why do I look at these topics!   Great pics .  For a while now I've been thinking about maybe expanding into German / Swiss railways as I had great holiday there in 1978 and again a couple of times  in the early 90s . You've got me in the mood again, although I'd be more into 70s/80s traction, in particular one of my favourites the DB 103.  The stock can be acquired second hand at reasonable cost .  Great pics I'd love to see more . That track layout at Cologne looks complex , all these double slips!

The 103s and 110/111s are my favourites out there, although I had a very pleasant trip down the Moselle four years ago chasing the 181s on the Luxembourg service before they finished, again if there is any interest, I'll happily dig out the photos!   It amazes me, Network Rail say single and double slips, along with scissor crossings are expensive to maintain (which I could understand) but they are extensively used across Europe to give maximum flexibility.  I am not sure I'd fancy wiring the OHL on a OO gauge model of the Koln approaches however!!!

The doodling on backs of envelopes has started ... it really is a slippery slope you know!

Rich

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Oh Andy!  Just think what you could do in that railway den once SMS and the two OO gauge layouts are sold on :P

You are very true tho, the quality of current models is very high. I don't object to paying higher prices, when the standard is improving, although I still think £70 for a Bachmann Mk2 is getting silly!  But certainly loco wise the quality and running standard of Roco/Fleischmann etc is superb.  You really all must stop encouraging me!!

The 103s and 110/111s are my favourites out there, 

The doodling on backs of envelopes has started ... it really is a slippery slope you know!

Rich

I had 2 x Fleishmann 103's a Roco one and a Lima one with the new / current style motor. I also had about 5 110 / 111's in all the colours.

I have some more pics of the rest of the Layout in a album that a mate has borrowed so will post them once I have it back.

The room was only 10.5ft x 12.5ft and will post some pics of the other half of the room later if that is O.K.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I had 2 x Fleishmann 103's a Roco one and a Lima one with the new / current style motor. I also had about 5 110 / 111's in all the colours.

I have some more pics of the rest of the Layout in a album that a mate has borrowed so will post them once I have it back.

The room was only 10.5ft x 12.5ft and will post some pics of the other half of the room later if that is O.K.

Sounds great Andy, love to see them as and when you have time.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/05/2019 at 17:06, Alcanman said:

The Rhine Valley hasn't changed much since I visited 21 years ago, except the trains. I very much enjoyed my visit there. A few pics at Boppard 1998.

BR 215 at Boppard 1998.jpg

Nice shot of the Hunsruck shuttle - a single car DMU now, but when I was there in the mid-1980s - I was only eight at the time, but remember it very clearly, it was one of the centre cab Bo-Bo diesels on the push-pull.  Class 211/212? I'll need to check.  Still have the Platform 5 stock book somewhere, with everything underlined!

I find it very interesting that the local authority has let the Hunsruck line to a small operator, for whom it is their only line! I think they may operate ships on the Rhein as well, but they (or the authority) has invested in a three Bo-Bo single car Class 650 DMUs for the line, created a lovely little depot at Boppard, complete with servicing building and washing plant.  I don't think they need more than one unit a day, but yet the economics obviously work.

Not the best of shots of the unit, but my train was just about to roll in as this arrived!

IU20190523-IMG_0130.jpg.30dbd6ca90e38d77105ae6ef753de9d6.jpg

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I have started posting the Mosel Valley pictures in a separate thread, to keep them apart from the Rhein Valley ones!

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/144901-mosel-valley-2012/

It might be tomorrow when I get to post some more from this years trip, but a couple of interesting Rhein Valley ones from 2012 to post in here too!

Rich

• Like 3

Hi All.

Thanks for posting your photo's, I too have been side tracked by the continental bug following a holiday in Austria. I am 60 years old and have been involved with model railways all of my life, following that holiday and subsequent trips I couldn't hold out any longer and made that faitfull purchase which was now 6 years ago.

I now look back and have to say it's been a most rewarding period for me, I have quite happily sold off my Uk stock and built up a sizeable collection of mainly Austrian stock from the main manufacturers.

So to you all come on in it's fantastic.

Craig.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, MarshLane said:

...the Hunsrück shuttle - a single car DMU now...

Another view, from half way up the Klettersteig at Boppard, 2018:

1510756232_Boppard2018.jpg.e8a8e11fd0934510330d79e3772812e7.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Another view, from half way up the Klettersteig at Boppard, 2018:

1510756232_Boppard2018.jpg.e8a8e11fd0934510330d79e3772812e7.jpg

Oh very lucky!! I need to think about that when I do it next.  I did a trip on the chairlift probably 12-14 years ago and loved the experience, but do want to do it again, must time the downward descent to co-incide with the branch shuttle!! Nice shot :)

Rich

• Like 1