Erixtar1992

Harefield Road london underground/chiltern layout

11 hours ago, Erixtar1992 said:

Thanks mate! 
yeah me too! Im pleased with it just having a few motor issues, tenshodo’s seem to be very hit and miss. 

Good luck with the rebuild. I have a bit of a hit and miss relationship with tenshodos too. My exhibition layout has a tube station beneath served by motorised EFE stock. One will run happily all day, the other will jerk about for about 3 hours then overheat.

Have to confess I've been tempted to start again with Tim Horn boards too, so will be interested to see how you find them.

Rich

• Like 1

On 17/11/2019 at 08:06, Rich Papper said:

Good luck with the rebuild. I have a bit of a hit and miss relationship with tenshodos too. My exhibition layout has a tube station beneath served by motorised EFE stock. One will run happily all day, the other will jerk about for about 3 hours then overheat.

Have to confess I've been tempted to start again with Tim Horn boards too, so will be interested to see how you find them.

Rich

Cheers mate, 

yeah its a bit wierd, ive got a few that run superbly but ive just chucked one in that L11 and its all jerky in one direction only when its been ran for a minute or two, to the point where it just gives up. 

also had one like it in my 73 stock.  Just luck of the draw i guess!

yeah, after seeing a friends layout and having a good hard think, i decided it would be less work to cut my losses and start again, but start off with the very best! 

Todays project has been rebooting my 165 project.

bodyshells dismantled, light units plastic welded so they are flush, then shells soaked in brake fluid and repeatedly scrubbed every half hour or so untill bare plastic.

have began painting it and so far its going okay other than a bit of paint bleed from me being silly, nothing i cant sort.

i have one problem though, i need someone who does the transfers!!  

any ideas?

28FB0A30-6DB9-4688-BD06-38ECB59CB0AB.jpeg

B5541A4C-60B3-4B26-AA20-6CE25076081A.jpeg

548BA3D2-618B-4C3D-BE0E-336BC15A16FB.jpeg

C22BE0FE-B7E3-48BA-9BAE-23ED161FB09C.jpeg

86C55E86-2E9E-4DFD-B63B-839BBE448A03.jpeg

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Erixtar1992 said:

Cheers mate, 

yeah its a bit wierd, ive got a few that run superbly but ive just chucked one in that L11 and its all jerky in one direction only when its been ran for a minute or two, to the point where it just gives up. 

also had one like it in my 73 stock.  Just luck of the draw i guess!

yeah, after seeing a friends layout and having a good hard think, i decided it would be less work to cut my losses and start again, but start off with the very best! 

I agree about spud motors. 

Had problems with them over the years. 

Tried one and then a pair on my standard tube stock on Rossiter Rise.  Gave up in the end and fitted modified Underground Ernie motor and trailing bogies.  

A big improvement and dcc ready. 

20190929_142942.jpg

30 minutes ago, terry.ecmr said:

I agree about spud motors. 

Had problems with them over the years. 

Tried one and then a pair on my standard tube stock on Rossiter Rise.  Gave up in the end and fitted modified Underground Ernie motor and trailing bogies.  

A big improvement and dcc ready. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/20190929_142942.jpg.1e42dbd2095b4d8a6e5dd4f62d0a668d.jpg

Got a 38 stock with that setup mate, unfortunately they dont like 2nd radius curves, the design of them doesnt really work as the worm drive is static rather than have it turn with the bogie and use a driveshaft to take up the movement

• Like 1

A kind chap on facebook has put my track plans into anyrail for me, i mentioned having the depot on the left and it sure does look better i think. Really pleased with this.

also, just finalised the baseboard order, all £550 worth (ouch), so should be able to make a start shortly!!

7FE1F15B-A1CC-462C-8B8F-A9BD3751E3EC.jpeg

• Like 4

Plastic welded a 4 pin connector to a nem coupling so i can send power to the 165’s dummy car without using 2 chips.

should do the job

D78DBB50-92D4-4553-A387-4CD60A83C05A.jpeg

C9090080-3CBC-4C94-AAE7-EBDD486A0C3B.jpeg

• Like 5

Well, the 165 unpowered car is back in one piece, with working lights.

the NEM connector did the job and its nicely lit up from the motor car. Managed to adjust the CV’s to dim the lighting which has much improved it!

need to get the second body to the same stage and then start hassling railtec for transfers.

also fitted a loksound v3.5 which i got from bigjim on here, had a 165 sound file so thats brought it to life nicely. 
although i was a tad worried as i had to de-solder the plug wires from it and put a new 8 pin plug on, which i thought id be too heavy handed for. Worked first time amazingly and no magic smoke!

vid on my instagram - Harefield_Road

A2BFD3CB-9B34-40D5-BA3A-136C5717EA2A.png

EC5A86DB-C45C-4985-AEFF-F7BD7D2E4B1B.jpeg

• Like 2

Interesting layout .always liked taking chiltern from Banbury to London 

• Like 1

Finally bought a laptop..

heres A quick mockup of the most likely track plan.

all points are medium radius, top two platform lines are the through lines for chiltern stock, but LUL could also use platform 2 to terminate and turn back to london if needed.

platform 3/4 (lower pair) are the LUL terminus platforms.

access to the small LUL depot area is via a headshunt,  then back towards either the 2 road shed or the stabling siding bottom left.

my next challenge, is trying to find a decent camera to photograph the actual location, i dont want an off the shelf ID backscene if i can help it.

trouble is for the 2ft side pieces, i want to photograph them at an angle that makes it look like the mainlines carry on straight. For the london end i am going to have to photoshop in the conductor rails for LUL stock, so probably going to take a picture of the chiltern lines from the road bridge aswell as photographing the met up on the amersham branch, then mix the pair together.

F3A19B6A-A7D2-4C73-BA6A-CEEE48C77885.jpeg

• Like 1

On 18/11/2019 at 23:03, Erixtar1992 said:

Looking good. This class 166 to 165 conversion is also on my list!

I was going to make my own transfers on the computer and print them onto inkjet transfer paper. I’ve done it before. Good luck.

3 hours ago, Lord of Narnia said:

Looking good. This class 166 to 165 conversion is also on my list!

I was going to make my own transfers on the computer and print them onto inkjet transfer paper. I’ve done it before. Good luck.

Cheers mate,

haha, if you fancy doing a test run let me know! 

• Thanks 1

Trying to get started on my platforms while i wait for my baseboards.

used 18mm MDF cut into 100mm wide strips.

this is the right thickness to use scalemodelscenery platform paving cut in half and their coping.

then using peco platform edging with the backs shaved down glue to the edge.

trouble is these SMS platform coping pieces are way too delicate, and a bit annoying. Its so easy to ruin them

E8F2AC6F-7451-47EE-B72F-390971561EE5.jpeg

9CF994D7-72A8-4BE8-8229-BBD2E6E752CA.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Baseboards have arrived!! 

i can finally get cracking with Harefield road.

what a brilliant design these tim horn baseboards are,  they even hand delivered them to me which was very kind.

thoroughly reccomend.  

65D391D1-AEEF-4EF0-9DE2-757212B9B2B8.jpeg

369AF2A4-8BBB-41B7-A069-ED08DAB8D822.jpeg

• Like 2

Wow- they really look good quality-should last a while! Can't wait for the next update on the 165

• Like 1

So here is my scenic area made up of a pair of tim horn 4x2 baseboards.

now i need to mount these on the wall and then get cracking! 

E58DF13C-7218-4149-8B3A-94F3816F6466.jpeg

887284D5-FB8C-4F26-B072-AD66A7C65587.jpeg

Scenic boards now up in the railway room.

ive now got a 2x2, 4x2 and 5x1 plain board to make so that the track can carry on around the room to give me a fiddle yard.

had a small mock up of the rough track plan to give an idea of what i have in mind. The scissor crossover really helps with space.

the MDF for the platforms needs cutting to size still also so take it all with a pinch of salt.

eric

53322D9D-F6B2-4B46-8392-A31A7630FD20.jpeg

FDD6C813-A3FF-4BE7-9F9C-5720C9891FDF.jpeg

• Like 6

Boards all complete!!  The O gauge even fits ontop in the same place just about!

cant wait to get track down and trains running.  It looks so smart compared to before. 

7C0CC1D4-3515-48F0-8011-F6D2CFEFD16F.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm really impressed by the new boards. If I ever get around to rebuilding Oxford Road I'll have to give those some serious thought. Good luck with it.

Rich

• Like 1

Cheers rich. They are worth the money.

have started laying the track now, made the decision to respace the sleepers. heres a couple random pics. Will update properly soon

0E56DE19-ED6C-4207-BDFF-41126403C316.jpeg

8E472E5A-B9C7-4DDA-B2B9-546F055519A4.jpeg

352B54B6-8CBB-455D-BEE2-D918D6FB367B.jpeg

Edited by Erixtar1992
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Erixtar1992 said:

good choice on respacing the sleepers, have you thought about making a jig as this could give much more consistent results?

Best of luck,

Matthew

3 minutes ago, croydon junction said:

good choice on respacing the sleepers, have you thought about making a jig as this could give much more consistent results?

Best of luck,

Matthew

Hi, yea i did indeed. Made one from some scrap plastic, including a jig for the peco streamline track spacing.

cheers 

6C07FCBF-E1BF-405F-A7A5-0903A93D73FA.jpeg

• Like 2