Harefield Road london underground/chiltern layout

Erixtar1992

Hi all.  
here i will show progress on my exhibition layout ‘Harefield Road’

Harefield Road is an 8x2 scenic area built with Tim Horn baseboards (with future plans to extend the scenic area by 4ft on each end)

i lived in Harefield as a child, and little did i know at the time, the London Underground Central Line was supposed to be extended past there, to Denham.

the layout is based at the site of the planned station, where the Chiltern Mainline passes under Harvil Road bridge.

the scenery is just my own imagination, inspired by things i have seen on the network, such as the Harrow on the Hill buildings, Ruislip’s footbridge, South Harrow sidings and so on.

layout control is via a Digikeijs DR5000 and a TCS UWT-100 hand throttle, with automation via itrain in the near future.

all rolling stock is DCC Sound where possible, with lots of locos having upgraded lighting functions (i like to mess with them a lot!)

hoping to exhibit the layout late 2021/2022

any questions feel free!

ps more regular updates on my Instagram/Facebook, just search ‘Harefield Road’

also check out my Youtube at ‘Underground Eric’

cheers

Eric

935BFA2B-5961-43F0-8D8B-9CAB165A0F70.jpeg

D9676EA1-258F-4981-95F1-B1F3CE40E00B.jpeg

Edited by Erixtar1992
Removal of old layout from topic
  • Like 16

• 3 months later...

So, i came to the realisation that the old layout wasnt ever going to be something i could exhibit when finished, things such as baseboards ect were letting it down, so i made the decision to bin it.

i went for a fresh start with what seems to be the best out there - Tim Horn baseboards.

i ordered a pair of 4x2 scenic boards to make an 8x2 scenic area - similar to the current size.

im then ordering a 2x2 square for the corner of the room, which will have a 4x1 joined on in an L shape, and on the end of that will have one of my 5x1 fiddle yard boards

i will also have a second 5x1 board for the opposite end of the layout when its not stuck in a spare room.

the track will be built with the fiddle yard connected straight to the scenic section and then the curve board added afterwards, so that i can just take it to shows as a 18ft end to end layout as i wont need the 90’ curve.

im limited to a 4ft board width ways in the room, so i am also ordering a 5x1 board to use as the fiddle yard, making the layout a U shape and then the 2x2 & 4x1 board would just stay at home when exhibiting and again id connect the fiddle yard straight on the end of the scenic area, except this time in 5ft pform.

hopefully that makes some sense?! Ha!

will also change to electrofrog points and rejig the trackplan having the chiltern mainline running right at the back with a larger LUL station at the front. 

so, a 7-8 week wait for baseboards now and then i shall crack on. :-)

for now im messing with my EFE tube stock, adding lighting and motorising them.

cheers

eric

FBBE791B-A790-4A2E-9558-795B9F24377C.jpeg

F0B57250-EDB0-40DD-9478-B293D56BFBDF.jpeg

Edited by Erixtar1992
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...

so, following on from my last post.

here are the plans for what will now be named Harefield Road.

8x2 scenic 

modular baseboards so i can have a different configuration for home compared to exhibitions.

at exhibitions il use the 5x1 boards straight on each end, so i can run a train all the way through.

at home i wont have the room for through trains so it will just be used as a terminus. The 2x2 and 4x2 boards will stay at home as they are solely for connecting the fiddle yard up around the corner of the room.

station will be a condensed version of Harrow on the Hill, 4 platforms instead of 6 as they would have been built at a similar time.

have purchased a custom crossover junction from pc recycler (Pat) on ebay which will massively help out as it retains the 51mm track spacing and is much shorter (aswell as looking awesome!

will have a small depot or sidings area at the front depending on what fits

layout still based at the same location, but a better track plan.

52B03FD1-10D3-47E6-AE15-15E22D8BF05F.jpeg.5e5592f1ff060f27459e72b63964e82c.jpeg
CF091FDE-A997-4AEC-9EC1-53A6F1D1053E.jpeg.d725a30cf9267a58b84de0ee598838a5.jpeg02A6ADF6-FF1B-457A-AB54-09E3D6415161.jpeg.5f068f941da03c80a522e7bc48354d59.jpeg3F4E412F-11C0-4F45-BD1B-9A0AAC2FC518.jpeg.73921384fb29bb548360ccc3b9b3f479.jpeg94D07DFA-170C-46C6-AD1E-FEA79F865297.jpeg.93f0af2ad12daebb3f07d7d6a6e865b0.jpeg

Edited by Erixtar1992
  • Like 4

On 21/10/2019 at 20:16, Erixtar1992 said:

im going for a fresh start with what currently seems to be the best out there - Tim Horn baseboards.

You mention that your new baseboards are from Tim Horn. His website is down, and I was eager to order? Are you aware of another way of placing an order? It has seemed to be down for a while now, and his facebook page is rather inactive.

1 minute ago, jbmccarthy said:

You mention that your new baseboards are from Tim Horn. His website is down, and I was eager to order? Are you aware of another way of placing an order? It has seemed to be down for a while now, and his facebook page is rather inactive.

Yeah just waiting for my turn in the que!

ah right, just double checked, yes it is down. It must have just happened as i was on the site recently.

send them an email mate, think its tim@timhorn.co.uk

ive been getting replies from someone called Adrian, made me feel a bit silly when i started the email with ‘hi tim!’ Haha!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Erixtar1992 said:

Yeah just waiting for my turn in the que!

ah right, just double checked, yes it is down. It must have just happened as i was on the site recently.

send them an email mate, think its tim@timhorn.co.uk

ive been getting replies from someone called Adrian, made me feel a bit silly when i started the email with ‘hi tim!’ Haha!

Speaking to Tim the other weekend he said call him on the phone. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Guest LU Standard Stock

Very nice plan, I look forward to seeing progress on the layout. And I LOVE the shunter! Oddball/less known LU stock is marvellous. ;)

6 hours ago, LU Standard Stock said:

Very nice plan, I look forward to seeing progress on the layout. And I LOVE the shunter! Oddball/less known LU stock is marvellous. ;)

Thanks mate! 
yeah me too! Im pleased with it just having a few motor issues, tenshodo’s seem to be very hit and miss. 

• Tempfix
11 hours ago, Erixtar1992 said:

Thanks mate! 
yeah me too! Im pleased with it just having a few motor issues, tenshodo’s seem to be very hit and miss. 

Good luck with the rebuild. I have a bit of a hit and miss relationship with tenshodos too. My exhibition layout has a tube station beneath served by motorised EFE stock. One will run happily all day, the other will jerk about for about 3 hours then overheat.

Have to confess I've been tempted to start again with Tim Horn boards too, so will be interested to see how you find them.

Rich

• Like 1

On 17/11/2019 at 08:06, Rich Papper said:

Good luck with the rebuild. I have a bit of a hit and miss relationship with tenshodos too. My exhibition layout has a tube station beneath served by motorised EFE stock. One will run happily all day, the other will jerk about for about 3 hours then overheat.

Have to confess I've been tempted to start again with Tim Horn boards too, so will be interested to see how you find them.

Rich

Cheers mate, 

yeah its a bit wierd, ive got a few that run superbly but ive just chucked one in that L11 and its all jerky in one direction only when its been ran for a minute or two, to the point where it just gives up. 

also had one like it in my 73 stock.  Just luck of the draw i guess!

yeah, after seeing a friends layout and having a good hard think, i decided it would be less work to cut my losses and start again, but start off with the very best! 

Todays project has been rebooting my 165 project.

bodyshells dismantled, light units plastic welded so they are flush, then shells soaked in brake fluid and repeatedly scrubbed every half hour or so untill bare plastic.

have began painting it and so far its going okay other than a bit of paint bleed from me being silly, nothing i cant sort.

i have one problem though, i need someone who does the transfers!!  

any ideas?

28FB0A30-6DB9-4688-BD06-38ECB59CB0AB.jpeg

B5541A4C-60B3-4B26-AA20-6CE25076081A.jpeg

548BA3D2-618B-4C3D-BE0E-336BC15A16FB.jpeg

C22BE0FE-B7E3-48BA-9BAE-23ED161FB09C.jpeg

86C55E86-2E9E-4DFD-B63B-839BBE448A03.jpeg

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Erixtar1992 said:

Cheers mate, 

yeah its a bit wierd, ive got a few that run superbly but ive just chucked one in that L11 and its all jerky in one direction only when its been ran for a minute or two, to the point where it just gives up. 

also had one like it in my 73 stock.  Just luck of the draw i guess!

yeah, after seeing a friends layout and having a good hard think, i decided it would be less work to cut my losses and start again, but start off with the very best! 

I agree about spud motors. 

Had problems with them over the years. 

Tried one and then a pair on my standard tube stock on Rossiter Rise.  Gave up in the end and fitted modified Underground Ernie motor and trailing bogies.  

A big improvement and dcc ready. 

20190929_142942.jpg

30 minutes ago, terry.ecmr said:

I agree about spud motors. 

Had problems with them over the years. 

Tried one and then a pair on my standard tube stock on Rossiter Rise.  Gave up in the end and fitted modified Underground Ernie motor and trailing bogies.  

A big improvement and dcc ready. 

20190929_142942.jpg

Got a 38 stock with that setup mate, unfortunately they dont like 2nd radius curves, the design of them doesnt really work as the worm drive is static rather than have it turn with the bogie and use a driveshaft to take up the movement

• Like 1

A kind chap on facebook has put my track plans into anyrail for me, i mentioned having the depot on the left and it sure does look better i think. Really pleased with this.

also, just finalised the baseboard order, all £550 worth (ouch), so should be able to make a start shortly!!

7FE1F15B-A1CC-462C-8B8F-A9BD3751E3EC.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/11/2019 at 23:03, Erixtar1992 said:

Todays project has been rebooting my 165 project.

bodyshells dismantled, light units plastic welded so they are flush, then shells soaked in brake fluid and repeatedly scrubbed every half hour or so untill bare plastic.

have began painting it and so far its going okay other than a bit of paint bleed from me being silly, nothing i cant sort.

i have one problem though, i need someone who does the transfers!!  

any ideas?

28FB0A30-6DB9-4688-BD06-38ECB59CB0AB.jpeg

B5541A4C-60B3-4B26-AA20-6CE25076081A.jpeg

548BA3D2-618B-4C3D-BE0E-336BC15A16FB.jpeg

C22BE0FE-B7E3-48BA-9BAE-23ED161FB09C.jpeg

86C55E86-2E9E-4DFD-B63B-839BBE448A03.jpeg

Looking good. This class 166 to 165 conversion is also on my list!

I was going to make my own transfers on the computer and print them onto inkjet transfer paper. I’ve done it before. Good luck.

3 hours ago, Lord of Narnia said:

Looking good. This class 166 to 165 conversion is also on my list!

I was going to make my own transfers on the computer and print them onto inkjet transfer paper. I’ve done it before. Good luck.

Cheers mate,

haha, if you fancy doing a test run let me know! 

• Thanks 1

Trying to get started on my platforms while i wait for my baseboards.

used 18mm MDF cut into 100mm wide strips.

this is the right thickness to use scalemodelscenery platform paving cut in half and their coping.

then using peco platform edging with the backs shaved down glue to the edge.

trouble is these SMS platform coping pieces are way too delicate, and a bit annoying. Its so easy to ruin them

E8F2AC6F-7451-47EE-B72F-390971561EE5.jpeg

9CF994D7-72A8-4BE8-8229-BBD2E6E752CA.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1