North East Colliery prototype photos & plans

Hi All

The book "Backworth, An illustrated history of the mines and railways" arrived a while ago, and it is excellent for what I need. It's opened up my thinking about how I will model a colliery, and now I'm considering adding a brickworks and coal staithes to give the operation a real purpose.  I'm going to have a go at a small layout incorporating more of the techniques I want to use rather than any colliery operations, just to try to get some practice.  Thanks to everyone for your contributions.  (And I've been doing the calculations, and I reckon the pit heap alone could easily fill my 3m x 3m space available for the final layout, so I might have to use some modeller's licence in scaling everything down just a touch!)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 03/06/2019 at 09:16, south_tyne said:

Mine neither! :derisive: It's full of cracking shots across the North East in the late '60s and early '70s. Fantastic book. 

Has anyone acquired a copy of this yet and, if so, is it recommended? It is just that I've been a little disappointed by the quality of some Amberley publications in the past, but hoping this is a good one. I must admit I haven't seen any of the other volumes in the series.

I reviewed the Amberley Gordon Edgar book recently for the SLS Journal. One of their better one's and can be recommended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1