Loco lubrication OO gauge

19 hours ago, The Johnster said:

At Cwmbargoed, the local sheep had learned this trick and would eat the grease...

Self basting lamb joints anyone? Was there a change of flavour when this dietary supplement went unavailable?

To Rob's summary, I will add my suggestion for pinpoint bearings, which I am now close to twenty years in from first use with not a hint of any trouble. I use GT85 aerosol PTFE bike lube in minute quantity, (my first can lasted over fifteen years) on both RTR plastic moulded 'axleboxes' and steel in brass pinpoints.  There's no dirting, and free rolling is exemplary: the vehicles frequently find gradients on 'level track' to the extent that selected brake vehicles have axle drags to prevent roll-aways.

I am told there is a yet better product for aeromodeller's applications such as helicopter rotors. But I am a mean git so will not be buying that to test until circa 2030 when my current can of GT85 will probably run out! Over to 'someone else'.

• RMweb Gold

Trust me, nobody would have ever wanted to eat a Cwmbargoed sheep unless they were so desperate as to be beyond caring about the flavour no matter how self basting they were.  They are reared for wool up there. and are nothing like the plump tasty specimens a few miles north in the Beacons; the general appearance is scraggy and malnourished, with a bit of an attitude.  And that goes for the sheep as well..

• 1 year later...

Many years ago I bought some clock oil and clock grease from Shesto at a Scaleforum at City University (that shows how long ago it was!).  Being wary of potential damage to plastic parts due to probable mineral oil content I've only used them with metal components (eg Branchlines gearboxes) and, as others have stated, I use LaBelle oils for all lubing that involves any plastic content.