Lochside Layout : Information wanted

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone please help?

I am trying to track down any photos or information regarding Ian Futer's 0 gauge version of his "lochside" layout. The original 4mm layout was on the exhibition circuit in the early 1980s, Ian then later built a 7mm version with more sidings etc. Any information or pointers as to where l might find such, would be gratefully appreciated.

Fingers crossed

Bob C

There is a track plan of the P4 version on page 9 of Ian's book Modelling Scotland's Railways - Santona Publications -  ISBN 0953844889 and there are some photos of Lochside scattered through the book. Ian says that the station building was based upon Eyemouth. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Julian

Thanks for the reply, I ve got the Santona  book and the August/September 1980 Railway Modellers that the P4 version featured in, I was hoping to find some photos or info on the 7mm version which had more trackwork than the original P4 version

Bob C

• RMweb Premium
On 28/05/2019 at 05:42, Blobrick said:

Can anyone please help?

I am trying to track down any photos or information regarding Ian Futer's 0 gauge version of his "lochside" layout. The original 4mm layout was on the exhibition circuit in the early 1980s, Ian then later built a 7mm version with more sidings etc. Any information or pointers as to where l might find such, would be gratefully appreciated.

Fingers crossed

Bob C

Railway Modeller 2002 March - Day return to Lochside.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Railway Modeller 2002 March - Day return to Lochside.

Many Thanks for the heads up Kev, I ll order a copy off Ebay today

Cheers

Bob C

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 27/05/2019 at 20:42, Blobrick said:

Can anyone please help?

I am trying to track down any photos or information regarding Ian Futer's O gauge version of his "Lochside" layout. The original 4mm layout was on the exhibition circuit in the early 1980s, Ian then later built a 7mm version with more sidings etc. Any information or pointers as to where l might find such, would be gratefully appreciated.

Fingers crossed

Bob C

Hi Bob, Are you still looking for information wrt Lochside in O Gauge, from Ian Futers? If so, I might be able to help you

20210425_131401.jpg

20210424_160609.jpg

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ukpepsi said:

Hi Bob, Are you still looking for information wrt Lochside in O Gauge, from Ian Futers? If so, I might be able to help you

20210425_131401.jpg

20210424_160609.jpg

Hi there ukpepsi

Yes please, any help you could afford me would be gratefully accepted

Bob C

Hi Bob, What was it you were looking to know?

As you might have seen form the two photo's, I managed to buy this layout last year from a house clearance yard in Prestonpans, a small fishing town, situated approximately eight miles east of Edinburgh. It's in need of a good clean, some TLC and renovation, as well as the removal of allot of the black paint that the previous owner had painted all of the track with. It's missing a few cables and miscellaneous electrical bits, but otherwise is complete. Ray "Pepsi" Colla

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ray

Thank you so much for getting in touch re this layout. I am very envious that you were fortunate enough to buy it, l would have killed for the chance!!

May l be cheeky and ask if you have any photos showing the layout length wise. As l understand it, this 7mm version differs from the 4mm by having additional sidings etc. I ve never seen the layout so l ve been unable to confirm this. To be honest Ray, any photos you may have would be a tremendous help?

Thank you one again for getting in touch

Bob C

Prestwick

Good afternoon Bob C,

Working on Lochside is very much weather dependent, as I have to work in the back garden.

I don't have anywhere else to set up the boards if I'm working on it, especially now, while I am trying to clean up the track ballast and remove the black paint.

There are 4 boards in total, 3 scenic (4ft x 2ft) and one for the fiddle yard, plus two end supports that are over 6 feet tall.

I plan to convert the wiring to DCC as well as some other minor changes, such as converting the one semaphore signal to a working signal as well as working platform lights.

I'll try and take some picture, next time the weather is dry at the weekend, although it may be a couple of weeks, after all this is Scotland.

Cheers, Pepsi

Edited by ukpepsi
Spelling mistake

Seeing the original P4 layout was the thing that drew me into Railway modelling and I still have the Railway modellers it was in.  I never managed to see the layout in the flesh though.

I'm glad to hear the O gauge version is still around, it would be good to see some pics of it. 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob,

Just a few pictures to give you an idea of where I'm heading with the renovation. Plus, I found more information in Rail Express Magazine from December 2002. It's still available to order from Rail Express, as that is how I got my copy.

Lochside_01.jpg

Lochside_02.jpg

Lochside_03.jpg

Lochside_04.jpg

Lochside_001.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, ukpepsi said:

Hi Bob,

Just a few pictures to give you an idea of where I'm heading with the renovation. Plus, I found more information in Rail Express Magazine from December 2002. It's still available to order from Rail Express, as that is how I got my copy.

Lochside_01.jpg

Lochside_02.jpg

Lochside_03.jpg

Lochside_04.jpg

Lochside_001.jpg

Hi Ray

Many many thanks for taking the time to photograph your layout, they have answered all my questions. And also thanks for the pointer to the magazine article too.

Please do keep us all here on RMweb updated with your progress, looking forward to seeing the finished work!

Cheers

Bob C

• Agree 1

On 29/04/2021 at 11:03, Blobrick said:

That's very kind of you Ray, l ll send some of the good weather here in Prestwick over to you!! Really appreciate your help in this matter.

Cheers

Bob 

No need to send it. The wind will blow it there PDQ :D

(I used to live in Prestwick.)

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/05/2021 at 18:38, ukpepsi said:

Hi Bob,

Lochside_01.jpg

Lochside_02.jpg

Lochside_03.jpg

Lochside_04.jpg

Lochside_001.jpg

7 points? What possibly happened to Ian to make him use that many?