Ironstone Working In Britain

8 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Dave

Thanks for the link, just need to persuade some manufacturers to produce the wagons!

Mark

A particularly interesting hopper wagon closest to the camera at 12.35

Paul A. 

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, OhOh said:

Very interesting thanks, especially as I now live less than a mile from an old mine and not far from North Skelton, the last mine in Cleveland.

Most of South Cleveland was very close to the old mines.  Even out near Boulby I explored parts of the former workings.  Cleveland County Council (as was) produced a book on the workings as well as a map of the known workings.  You might be able to access a copy from your local library.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Narrowgaugebeginner said:

Awesome! 

Nice to see Sundew (the giant dragline) in the film as well

Don’t think that’s Sundew, the film was made a couple of years before Sundew was completed.

More likely the one in the film is the sister W1400 built at Priors Hall quarry in 1952. The site of this quarry has only recently been developed for housing, 40 years after the quarry ceased operations.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

As close as we will get, currently at Rocks by Rail.

2019_0423GranthamSteamFair2010020.JPG.be812671019d978991c39e8926e4e1b5.JPG

Sadly all wagons are empty, as we have yet to find willing volunteers to unload the ironstone by hand at the end of the run and get it back to the 'quarry'

2019_0525GranthamSteamFair2010028.JPG.93361b69526477901885e285f3c7ad46.JPG

Jean, with a rake ready for loading at our Mock Quarry by the Face Shovel

2019_0525GranthamSteamFair2010024.JPG.d17ddabfa9c6c02cc0f953d4d71b4414.JPG

Sir Thomas Royden takes a 'loaded' rake from the quarry sidings.

Next Quarry Day August Bank Holiday Mon

Regards

Ian

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Fairly flat-sided, so reasonably straightforward to scratchbuild. Hasn’t Geoff Kent done some of these?

And where can I get a copy of the drawing?

4 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Fairly flat-sided, so reasonably straightforward to scratchbuild. Hasn’t Geoff Kent done some of these?

And where can I get a copy of the drawing?

There is a whole host of drawings in the Charles Roberts collection in the archives at the NRM at York and photographs in the HMRS collection!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The dragline under construction towards the end would have been the second W1400 being built at Cowthick Quarry in 1955/ 56. Sundew was the third and the fourth was the even bigger W1800 which was built at Oakley Quarry in 1960.

Stewart’s and Lloyd’s were prolific in recording the activities of the business and employed a full time photographer for this. The BFI lists a number but few appear available to view - https://www.bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/4ce2b94697276

when Corby closed, the archive was transferred to the BSC Records Office at Irthlingborough but when that closed, I believe the archives were dispersed, the BFI may well have been the recipients of some. As well as the completed features, there were hundreds of hours of film which never made into any of these. I’d fear that this might well have been lost when the records archive was dispersed. Some, Iron Ore in Britain, Double Harvest, Pluto and one other were, and maybe still are, available on DVD.

The filming looks to cover a wide area and not all of it in S&L workings, the Euclid dump trucks seen being loaded are likely to be in the Lincolnshire workings but the Ford dump truck seen crossing the Bailey bridge is at Tilton on the Hill which from memory was owned by Stanton and Staveley.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

There is a whole host of drawings in the Charles Roberts collection in the archives at the NRM at York and photographs in the HMRS collection!

Thanks.

Do I need to visit, as I can’t find such a collection listed on the NRM website?

10 hours ago, RANGERS said:

The dragline under construction towards the end would have been the second W1400 being built at Cowthick Quarry in 1955/ 56. Sundew was the third and the fourth was the even bigger W1800 which was built at Oakley Quarry in 1960.

Stewart’s and Lloyd’s were prolific in recording the activities of the business and employed a full time photographer for this. The BFI lists a number but few appear available to view - https://www.bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/4ce2b94697276

when Corby closed, the archive was transferred to the BSC Records Office at Irthlingborough but when that closed, I believe the archives were dispersed, the BFI may well have been the recipients of some. As well as the completed features, there were hundreds of hours of film which never made into any of these. I’d fear that this might well have been lost when the records archive was dispersed. Some, Iron Ore in Britain, Double Harvest, Pluto and one other were, and maybe still are, available on DVD.

The filming looks to cover a wide area and not all of it in S&L workings, the Euclid dump trucks seen being loaded are likely to be in the Lincolnshire workings but the Ford dump truck seen crossing the Bailey bridge is at Tilton on the Hill which from memory was owned by Stanton and Staveley.

Rather than being dispersed, I think the opposite may have happened, and the Archives concentrated in a single location. I remember a friend, who was the Archivist for Wolverhampton Council, saying that local management at one of the Midlands plants, that closed about the same time as Corby's steel-making ceased, had agreed to donate records of the plant to her archives. Before they could be handed over, however, national management intervened and took the lot, ostensibly for a 'central archive'. Whether this was the National Archives at Kew, or some BSC establishment, I'm not sure. If the latter, then it may be in the Sheffield area, or possibly in Glasgow, which handled a lot of BSC 'legacy' activity, such as pensions. 

12 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

The collection is not listed on the website but I you email the search engine get them email you the document!

Book a drawing table in advance ( 5 days) as nothing is scanned and order in advance as you can pre order six rolls of drawings in advance and three on the day.

Mark Saunders

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, martyn11post said:

Any ideas what the limestone wagons from ~25min are? There seems to be plenty of a 'standard design'

Three box calcining wagons taking ore to the calcining clamps for pre treating ore!

There are two of these at Rocks by Rail at Cottesmore.

Mark Saunders

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/05/2019 at 21:54, Ian Smeeton said:

As close as we will get, currently at Rocks by Rail.

Next Quarry Day August Bank Holiday Mon

Regards

Ian

Ian

Not sure whether you saw my post on the Rocks by Rail DIG IT day. 

Are these still available? They are still shown on the website and I can really recommend them.

Stephen

For those on here interested in the East Midlands ironstone railways, there is an excellent 8 page article on Cranford in the June issue of Railway Bylines. Some wonderful photos - the double page spread on pages 306/7 just has to be modelled!

Stephen

Edited by Warspite
  • Informative/Useful 1