Prototype HST

Hi all,

For the past couple of months I've been working on modelling the the Prototype HST with a view to 3D printing (in resin) a complete body-shell that I can drop onto an old Hornby chassis. After a bit of trial and error with the print orientation, I have managed to produce a test print of the cab that I painted over the weekend.

The real thing was at the Severn Valley a couple of weeks ago and as it was out of service I got to take photographs from every conceivable angle! Sadly, this has made me realise that I haven't got the front of the cab quite right; mine is flat fronted whereas the prototype is more curved. I've revisited the model in Fusion 360 in attempt to correctly model the curve but my skills aren't up to scratch in that regard just yet. I'm carrying on with the rest of the body for now and I'll re-visit the cab again in a few weeks.

Alex

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

Proto HST.JPG

• Like 13

Hi Alex,

Super work there despite your own misgivings.

I built a Prototype HST from a bashed Hornby model about thirty years ago by way of cutting and shutting the cab. Do you think that your body shell might fit the Lima model or would it need alteration in some way ? The reason I ask is that the bogies seem better that the old Hornby model, I would think that externally it may well be the same but the inside of the print might need to be a different shape.

Gibbo.

On 28/05/2019 at 11:12, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Alex,

Super work there despite your own misgivings.

I built a Prototype HST from a bashed Hornby model about thirty years ago by way of cutting and shutting the cab. Do you think that your body shell might fit the Lima model or would it need alteration in some way ? The reason I ask is that the bogies seem better that the old Hornby model, I would think that externally it may well be the same but the inside of the print might need to be a different shape.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo,

Thanks for the reply. I'd not looked into the Lima model as my local model shop only had an old Hornby one when I popped in. I've just taken a quick look on eBay at some Lima versions and I think my body shell could be made (modified in CAD) to fit. I see what you mean about the bogies - I can see my eBay watch-list growing this afternoon in an attempt to procure one!

I did toy with the idea of just modelling the cab and putting it on the Hornby body. This is an earlier test print on the FDM printer:

IMG_2964.jpg

Edited by al3xfoster
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, al3xfoster said:

Hi Gibbo,

Thanks for the reply. I'd not looked into the Lima model as my local model shop only had an old Hornby one when I popped in. I've just taken a quick look on eBay at some Lima versions and I my body shell could be made (modified in CAD) to fit. I see what you mean about the bogies - I can see my eBay watch-list growing this afternoon in an attempt to procure one!

I did toy with the idea of just modelling the cab and putting it on the Hornby body.

Hi Alex,

Here is my old attempt from when I was a boy;

DSCF0724.JPG.747636eea0ed38b3a2d268a3f68d7c82.JPG

I have a full set of repainted Lima coaches to go with them and it looks pretty good I did build it thirty years ago and It shews its age !

I would certainly consider a pair of full body shells for a second go at the Prototye HST using the Lima model as a base and perhaps repaint the coaches to go with them.

Good luck with your project.

Gibbo.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, flex2wees said:

This is great currently bashing a Resin one but a 3D printed bodyshell would be far easier! What printer do you have? Tempted by one myself 

Given that the OP hasn’t updated this thread or posted anything else in the last two years, I wouldn’t hold your breath for a reply...

Darius