Hornby announce additions to 2019 range

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, classy52 said:

But are these Hornby Network Rail coaches actually prototypical or just pretending to be what they are on tarted up old tooling?

What % of these 3 new NR coaches would be classed as prototypical?...50% there, 70%, 90% or no worries mate they're exactly as the real thing.

Too be honest I wouldn't mind knowing if anyone can elaborate with their knowledge of NR coaches.

They are the same as previous ones. Painted glazing to show “blanked” sections, not adjusted window spacing or sizes. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Obviously our European friends don't think that new electric multiple units won't sell. Last year Piko announced that they will be producing a DB-AG ICE-4 electric multiple unit which is due on the market very soon - yes, announced last year, released this year. The ICE-4 is a seven car unit so Piko is putting it on the market as follows:

4-car base unit of 4 cars fitted with sound  and (assuming one euro is £1) will cost frp of around £590

2-car add-on coaches around £170

1-car add-on coach around £90    making a total of around £850

Comparing things to the UK market closest item would seem to be the Bachmann sound-fitted Western Pullman at frp of £950 which, of course, also includes a dynamis dcc unit. Taking the dcc unit out of the equation not much difference to the price ICE-4 but I think that also includes a servo-driven pantograph.

As far as Hornby goes closest comparison is the LNER Azuma 5-car set at £395 but does not come fitted with dcc/sound or servo-driven pantographs so, price-wise, think Hornby have some way to go before they catch up with Bachmann and Piko.

Keith

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, classy52 said:

But are these Hornby Network Rail coaches actually prototypical or just pretending to be what they are on tarted up old tooling?

What % of these 3 new NR coaches would be classed as prototypical?...50% there, 70%, 90% or no worries mate they're exactly as the real thing.

Too be honest I wouldn't mind knowing if anyone can elaborate with their knowledge of NR coaches.

I agree with Richard, I should imagine the vast majority of buyers will be happy with them straight out of the box and sandwiched between their NMT powercars, blanked off windows aren’t the perfect solution to real life “blanking” with metal but the sheer number of differences on the NMT coaches compared to a standard MK3 are huge, to re-tool a model would pretty much mean 5 new tools completely (ok maybe 4 as the 2 outer generator coaches are identical) 

and lets not not start on the interiors!

had I not been lucky enough to have inside knowledge and access to the NMT as I used to drive it then I’d probably be happy to run a rake of off the shelf Hornby coaches with my powercars as they do look very smart (even though the livery is already out of date!) it needs a website address adding to each coach 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, classy52 said:

I'm no expert, but I think all you could probably say is that they are as good a representation of the real thing as you are going to get without retooling.  If you want 100% prototypical accuracy, then you will need to make all the modifications yourself paying careful attention to photographs since the real coaches have changed over time.

Unfortunately, I think these are technically too new for my time period, but since I have a couple of NMT power cars (which are also too new) and only two Mark 3 coaches to put between them at the moment, I'll just overlook any errors and at least have a train that is the right length and the right colour.  I'm sure that many others will be of the same opinion.

• Agree 1

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 02:53, AY Mod said:

Hornby have announced additional items to their 2019 range including two new Terrier liveries. These items are available to order from retailers from today.

Details can be found on World of Railways

In addition to these announcements South Eastern are holding a Family Open Day at Ramsgate’s Engineering Depot on day 8th June. There will be access to view a selection of locomotives and rolling stock, a variety of model railway stands, (including Hornby) demonstrations, train rides and lots more, plus there will be an exciting announcement taking place at 10.30am! 

I do wish one of these liveries were a Post-war Southern Livery

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Dungrange said:

If you want 100% prototypical accuracy, then you will need to make all the modifications yourself paying careful attention to photographs since the real coaches have changed over time.

as i did to some old lima coaches, 2 years in the making and still nowhere near finished (TBH i’m tempted to start again with some oxford coaches)

• RMweb Premium

Seems a good set of announcements to me. I’ve often thought Dapol missed a trick in N gauge by not offering some yellow mk3s; a TGS, a TSO and a buffet. Not perfect for sure, but I imagine they’d sell like the proverbial hot cakes given the price the power cars fetch, and a decent approximation of the NMT could be made. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

I’m surprised they haven’t done the GBRF 50’s, surely they would be a top seller? Especially when they have just released a sound decoder for them!

Richard

Could be a limited edition with someone or something to be announced later?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

If Hornby announce a new steam loco they could wheel out a L1 4-4-0 to 21st century standards, because that class was in their range during the 60s and was revived briefly in the early 70s

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

If Hornby were to set a cat among the pigeons they could announce a model of the R1 0-6-0T - looking beyond the former Hornby Dublo version - see the possibilities of modelling the Stirling round-topped cab vs. Wainwright's pagoda versions, short or long chimneys ...

• Agree 1

Exciting announcement I think it’ll most likely be a relivery of something already tooled up. But I do think there would be an outside chance of a D or D1/E1 as they would fill the SECR secondary passenger role that Hornby likes to plug. Like they have with the T9 etc. 

Big james

• Like 1

15 hours ago, gc4946 said:

If Hornby announce a new steam loco they could wheel out a L1 4-4-0 to 21st century standards, because that class was in their range during the 60s and was revived briefly in the early 70s

You can say that again.

• RMweb Gold
On 30/05/2019 at 08:12, Legend said:

I think Ravensers basically correct though . The prices being asked have just got out of control . So a 3 or 4 car EMU or DMU from the traditional  manufacturers is probably unlikely . But you are also correct in that Accurascale and Cavalex with their direct selling model are bringing something new to the market . Accurascale with a 5 car TPE set £225 thats not bad . OK its not got a motor but I have read elsewhere that thats not necesserily that expensive . 

I will get a Hornby Inter7City HST and Mk3s , but the cost of that will be going on for £350-£400 . I fancy East Coast HST and Azumas too but I’m not prepared to pay that for a hobby, so they will need to wait or just be permanently on hold . 

But Hornby probably could turn out a reasonable EMU at at a reasonable price.

They have demonstrated that a budget Terrier at reasonable detail is possible,

they also demonstrated that mk1’s can be made for less than £40, and super detailed for less than £50.

They just need to capitalise on it...

Electrostar is the obvious one, They could make a railroad quality electrostar in 3 or 4 car config in nearly a dozen liveries using a lot of repeatable components. Using the motor as used in Railroad HST/ 87 /33 etc and hiding it in the toilet space.

There not even many external pieces to even consider separately moulding on these units... keep it simple.. skip the lights, skip the fancy couplings, skip everything DCC except the chip harness.

In my mind it’s much better to demonstrate innovation than copying everyone else’s guff this year.

3 coaches.. £120, motor coach £100..even with a new tooling premium it could come in under £250, Hornby’s then set with the most numerous unit type ever built in the UK, spreading all 4 regions of the country for the next 30 years.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

I'm wondering if this is Hornby's new strategy as well.  To be gone with the hi-spec models and keep the cost down with lower spec, less accurate versions, at less cost.   Plus the roll out of stuff from their Bach catalogue.  What price a warmed over 91 in the coming months to go with their warmed over 66's, 92's and 156's. 

5 hours ago, No Decorum said:

What a glorious slip of the autocorrect! :D That explains why Hornby is doing Mk. IIfs. It seems we may expect more.

Haha.  Brilliant spot.  Have a look at the Northern Belle 57 they have planned!

• RMweb Premium

60 years ago this year Hornby Dublo launched their 2-rail range with a model of the R1 0-6-0T. Could a 21st century version of that loco be tomorrow's announcement?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, gc4946 said:

60 years ago this year Hornby Dublo launched their 2-rail range with a model of the R1 0-6-0T. Could a 21st century version of that loco be tomorrow's announcement?

I had two of those. An excellent model by the standards of the time.

But not a choice that would make much sense now.

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, gc4946 said:

What announcement? Is Hornby making another or is that Bachmann speculation? 

6 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I had two of those. An excellent model by the standards of the time.

But not a choice that would make much sense now.

Not many Southern 0-6-0Ts. Lasted well into BR days. Shares part of it's design with the H Class. Quite a bit of interest in the SECR at the moment. Plenty of livery choices.

It's an open goal IMHO.

Maybe not tomorrow, but I can see one appearing in the future.

Jason

• Agree 1