Signal Box (Hornby's new monthly YouTube series)

MGR Hooper!

Hornby has kicked off their new series known as "Signal Box" which is to be a monthly series on YouTube. Seems to be a nice initiative, following the lines of "The Engine Shed" but obviously being a little different.

Quite liked the first show and look forward to the rest.

Cheers!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Mr Kohler on the Bulleids - "they ran from the 30s to the 60s" - did they really......

The Maunsell chassis might have been produced in 1940, but Mr Bulleid didn't put the bodies on till 1944.

He nearly had me buying a set there, clever chap.

Edited by woodenhead
spelling

Love the contrast between the hyped-up bloke at the start who's obviously been on The Course, and the less-than-dynamic Kohler chappie who clearly hasn't :)

• Funny 2

40 minutes ago, spikey said:

Love the contrast between the hyped-up bloke at the start who's obviously been on The Course, and the less-than-dynamic Kohler chappie who clearly hasn't :)

Having given incorrect information about the stock and saying almost immediately that there are better experts out there about their new stock he clearly hadn't prepped.

I'd have thought he would have read up about them before he planned to introduce them to check there would be a market or did he just pick off the annual list of desired OO models and went for something that Bachmann weren't doing.

The old Engine Shed seemed quite grown up in how it was delivered, not sure who this was aimed at and the only Easter egg was the EP shell of a Princess Royal in the opening sequence.

Edited by woodenhead
spelling
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes very good. Anything that has direct communication between  Hornby and their ultimate customer has to be applauded .  Looking forward to future editions , maybe including ScotRail HSTs and the new Mk3s . Lots of material . Well done Hornby .  I do wonder if they’ve realised that stifling the “Engine Shed” was a bad idea and so have created “Signal Box” instead , that said Engine Shed created a lot of interest , mainly because of what we hoped to see in the background, with some tantalising clues . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Legend said:

Yes very good. Anything that has direct communication between  Hornby and their ultimate customer has to be applauded .  Looking forward to future editions , maybe including ScotRail HSTs and the new Mk3s . Lots of material . Well done Hornby .  I do wonder if they’ve realised that stifling the “Engine Shed” was a bad idea and so have created “Signal Box” instead , that said Engine Shed created a lot of interest , mainly because of what we hoped to see in the background, with some tantalising clues . 

The Engine Shed also showed the guys at work measuring stuff. This seems more glib TBH, more of a marketing show than behind the scenes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

This is very positive by Hornby.  Personally, I like Simon's manner but he should be prep'd for something like this.  Either get a professional do present or do the job properly IMHO.

Paddy

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Fair play to Hornby, the presenters never mentioned 'Train' at all. keeping to locomotives (locos) and carriages or cars.  It'll be quite challenging to put out a news item every month, as airtime swallows up news items.  Good luck to them.

Ian.

Well, Hogwarts Castle is either a light engine, a local stopping train or a breakdown train returning from a job.

It all depends on how high you judge the headlamp to be....  :jester:

Edited by Hroth
spelin, as usual...
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

So it's not about the R186 Signal Box?  :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1GyqU71rcI

Jason

Only if you have a full copy of Yellow Pages, an unfeasible number of local model shops to call, and a sludge green Trimphone.

"Oi Norm, its that ruddy oik asking about the R186 again, what shall I tell 'im?"

(pause, slurp of tea off)

"Say that its out of stock at Hornby and they won't be making any more untill next year, there's no call for 'em..."

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

Well, Hogwarts Castle is either a light engine, a local stopping train or a breakdown train returning from a job.

It all depends on how high you judge the headlamp to be....  :jester:

As it is running in a parallel universe magical land, it probably has a different railway code all togthor. 

Speaking of Warner brothers licensed products in their range, I'm still waiting for details of the Wonder Woman scalextrix car. Any chance they could do one in 1/76th scale autos range too? Preferably with a scale figure too.... Well she did appear along side Bluebell Railway stock in the film eating an ice cream.

3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Only if you have a full copy of Yellow Pages, an unfeasible number of local model shops to call, and a sludge green Trimphone.

"Oi Norm, its that ruddy oik asking about the R186 again, what shall I tell 'im?"

"Say that its out of stock at Hornby and they won't be making any more untill next year, there's no call for 'em..."

Or ring Gaugemaster as they have loads of them. :telephone:

But for some reason it's moved from Somerset to the South Downs....

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GM402

Jason

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JSpencer said:

As it is running in a parallel universe magical land, it probably has a different railway code all togthor. 

Considering it’s the only thing running on the magical railway I don’t think it needs to worry about following any railway code lol

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 19/06/2019 at 22:05, Hroth said:

Still happens.  A bloke in PC World recently told that they weren't stocking (a remote control tv input switcher) any more because there was no demand, and that I was the 3rd person that week to ask him about one...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I was a bit disappointed with this episode. 3 minutes of one kind of model and then 8 minutes of talking and an old commercial. Would have been good to have seen some of the new Flying Scotsman model, seeing as this episode was about speed. Would have been good in general to have more model talk and less interview talk. Just my own opinion mind. Others may not agree

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Wholeheartedly agree with you.

I fully support Hornby and purchase the majority of my stock from this manufacturer. 

I too found this episode somewhat lacklustre.

Let's hope the latest engine shed, which I believe is due this coming Friday is more informative re the progress of new releases.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, it's a periodical, and the standard will inevitably vary.  It's early days yet for this venture, which has a great deal of potential, and I'll withhold judgemental comment for now.  Don't forget it is not solely aimed at 'us', but at customers in general and the retail trade, a fairly broad church to keep satisfied.  I wish H the best of luck with it.

I've a lot of time for Hornby, and a good deal of respect and affection as well.  They are pivotal to the health of the hobby in the UK, but unlike Black 5 Bear I can't claim to buy most of my stock from them. This is not down to any brand loyalty or lack of it, just that they do not make many locos suitable for my layout, set in 1950s South Wales and Bachmann do.  I have a 42xx, of course, and a couple of A28/30 auto trailers, along with a 2721, and I've squeezed in 2 Collett suburbans under the authority of Rule 1; similar but not identical coaches ran in South Wales.

The Collett suburbans are easily the best RTR coaches I've ever had, but a Southern BY in crimson runs them close.  But I do wish they'd release 16ton minerals with the correct wheelbase!

• Friendly/supportive 1