Signal Box (Hornby's new monthly YouTube series)

MGR Hooper!

I think what Hornby needs now if some constructive criticism and good feedback in the early stages of a venture such as these "Signal Box" episodes.

If we as customer and potential customers can give Hornby some useful feedback, they can improve lengths and bounds.

Its important that we don't rant or grumble or provide feedback in any negative form that may deter them from continuing. Let's not forget that not everyone mY be comfortable on camera or just nervous. But they do their best for us.... Let's give them a pat on the back for trying.

The latest episode might not have been to everyone's liking, but its good to see Hornby trying other things like a Q&A session and actually talking to other members of the team. As of now TES is the only other means but we don't actually listen to other Hornby team members talk and share information and experiences.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

I think what Hornby needs now if some constructive criticism and good feedback in the early stages of a venture such as these "Signal Box" episodes.

If we as customer and potential customers can give Hornby some useful feedback, they can improve lengths and bounds.

Its important that we don't rant or grumble or provide feedback in any negative form that may deter them from continuing. Let's not forget that not everyone mY be comfortable on camera or just nervous. But they do their best for us.... Let's give them a pat on the back for trying.

The latest episode might not have been to everyone's liking, but its good to see Hornby trying other things like a Q&A session and actually talking to other members of the team. As of now TES is the only other means but we don't actually listen to other Hornby team members talk and share information and experiences.

I agree that it’s great we are meeting the team behind Hornby but to have almost 3 times the amount of talking as model showcasing is a bit too much to me. They asked us for constructive criticism and I’m just providing some in a polite manner. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I am almost completely deaf these days so I watch with the sound off and closed caption on.  Nice to hear about "Holmby Trains......"

Can't they pay decent closed captioner's a living wage or improve the vocabulary of automated captioning. It gets a bit annoying.

• Agree 1

I have to admit that the two ladies Mike chose to interview made an ancient heart quicken. Perhaps they were chosen in the full knowledge that the majority of Hornby customers are old males (cf. C & M Models). Nevertheless, what I’d like to see is Paul Isles taking a video camera with him next time he goes out to measure something and then, bit by bit, talk us through the development and production. We would, of course, have to wait until the subject of the exercise has appeared and is no longer a state secret. More of an Engine Shed approach but on video and following one project all through rather than surveying everything on the go at one particular time. Not that I’m suggesting the slightest change to the Engine Shed. That is great as it is.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, autocoach said:

I am almost completely deaf these days so I watch with the sound off and closed caption on.  Nice to hear about "Holmby Trains......"

Can't they pay decent closed captioner's a living wage or improve the vocabulary of automated captioning. It gets a bit annoying.

My hearing is not good but sometimes I have to listen hard to make out what the close captions mean. It rather defeats the point of them. The BBC does a decent job with no more than the occasional clanger. What’s the betting that if free licences for the ancients are restored, the captioners are sacked as an economy measure and a Franco-German computer substituted?

Wandering off topic, paying for a licence will not be a hardship but I was looking forward to a free one as the last benefit I had to look forward to before I snuff it.

• Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, No Decorum said:

My hearing is not good but sometimes I have to listen hard to make out what the close captions mean. It rather defeats the point of them. The BBC does a decent job with no more than the occasional clanger. What’s the betting that if free licences for the ancients are restored, the captioners are sacked as an economy measure and a Franco-German computer substituted?

Wandering off topic, paying for a licence will not be a hardship but I was looking forward to a free one as the last benefit I had to look forward to before I snuff it.

A bit further off topic. I understand the license fee for the UK but I live in the USA.  Instead of paying the government we have to pay either a cable company or as in my case a satelite provider (Direct TV) and to get decent set of channels it costs almost $120 a month.  And then it's another $120 for broadband services and land line phone.  I need to buy a new TV that will connect by my WiFi to the broadband and get rid of the satelite.  I was watching the Youtube version and they must be the caption provider.

And now back to playing with my trains.....

Edited by autocoach

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, autocoach said:

As far as I know it’s YouTube’s own auto caption software. To be fair, it does have to be a standard one to account for all the accents around the world. Not an easy thing to do.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

As far as I know it’s YouTube’s own auto caption software. To be fair, it does have to be a standard one to account for all the accents around the world. Not an easy thing to do.

YouTube is owned by Google.  I would suspect there is some synergy going on.  I use a Google Speech to Text app called Live Transcribe on my phone when I really want to understand a conversation (ie with my physician)  or even a presentation at a railroad society of which I am a member.  Context is always helpful. At least I knew what they meant by Holmby...

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I have to admit that the two ladies Mike chose to interview made an ancient heart quicken. Perhaps they were chosen in the full knowledge that the majority of Hornby customers are old males (cf. C & M Models). Nevertheless, what I’d like to see is Paul Isles taking a video camera with him next time he goes out to measure something and then, bit by bit, talk us through the development and production. We would, of course, have to wait until the subject of the exercise has appeared and is no longer a state secret. More of an Engine Shed approach but on video and following one project all through rather than surveying everything on the go at one particular time. Not that I’m suggesting the slightest change to the Engine Shed. That is great as it is.

If they want to talk about product ideas (for model railways) and development surely Paul isles is the 'go to' person and not somebody from 'marketing'.   The way 'The Engine Shed' used to work showed in my view a considerable understanding of the way a substantial part of the model railway market has worked in the past, and just look at the models that came out of that era.

I appreciate that Hornby wishes to - and should - expand its market base but in doing that I think it would be foolish to carry on ignoring the superb marketing tool which 'The Engine Shed' used to be for a goodly part of its market.  To reach more than one market area it undoubtedly needs more than one marketing tool and more than one 'video channel/format' - perhaps it's about time they cottoned on to that and instead of just creating an additional one give proper rein to the one that has been dumbed down?

• Agree 4

On 17/07/2019 at 23:23, Black 5 Bear said:

Wholeheartedly agree with you.

I fully support Hornby and purchase the majority of my stock from this manufacturer. 

I too found this episode somewhat lacklustre.

Let's hope the latest engine shed, which I believe is due this coming Friday is more informative re the progress of new releases.

TES is due this Friday (not the last) There's no real schedule, but they never usually have TES and TSB during the same week.

• Thanks 1

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 14:46, MGR Hooper! said:

Hornby has kicked off their new series known as "Signal Box" which is to be a monthly series on YouTube. Seems to be a nice initiative, following the lines of "The Engine Shed" but obviously being a little different.

Quite liked the first show and look forward to the rest.

Cheers!

As a major fan of Hornby, several years ago I wrote to Simon Kohler why Hornby to not have Stanier Composite coach and Stanier 'open Coaches'. This year I have bought 138 of Hornby's Stanier coaches in Crimson and Cream. That should demonstrate true support. You comments would be appreciated. Thank you Peter Walker (loyal1uk@yahoo.co.uk)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've just got around to watching episode 3. I thought it was a really good  mix and showed the depth and ambitions of the range. The two women from the exhibition team clearly knew their topic and displayed genuine enthusiasm for Hornby and its products. Loved the old Bernard Cribbens advert and enjoyed the whizz through the development of the Q6.

So long as The Engine Shed is allowed to retain its old format I see no problem with the The Signal Box. I will continue to watch and believe it is an interesting addition to the way Hornby communicate, It also has the potential to reach beyond the readers of this forum which is good news for all of us. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I've just got around to watching episode 3. I thought it was a really good  mix and showed the depth and ambitions of the range. The two women from the exhibition team clearly knew their topic and displayed genuine enthusiasm for Hornby and its products. Loved the old Bernard Cribbens advert and enjoyed the whizz through the development of the Q6.

So long as The Engine Shed is allowed to retain its old format I see no problem with the The Signal Box. I will continue to watch and believe it is an interesting addition to the way Hornby communicate, It also has the potential to reach beyond the readers of this forum which is good news for all of us. 

A good mix? 3 times as much talking as showing off new models is a good mix? Hmmm

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

A good mix? 3 times as much talking as showing off new models is a good mix? Hmmm

Yes, a good mix,. At risk of repeating myself 'so long as the Engine Shed continues in its old format' we will have plenty of info about the development of new models. Every section of The Signal box was about models and this format will reach out to a potentially wider audience than just us and our niche interests. Thats good for all of  us - the more Hornby sells the more Hornby makes :)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/07/2019 at 15:07, 46127 said:

As a major fan of Hornby, several years ago I wrote to Simon Kohler why Hornby to not have Stanier Composite coach and Stanier 'open Coaches'. This year I have bought 138 of Hornby's Stanier coaches in Crimson and Cream. That should demonstrate true support. You comments would be appreciated. Thank you Peter Walker (loyal1uk@yahoo.co.uk)

Ive got a 100 mk1’s, plus probably another 200 of different types / liveries, but i’m intrigued..

138 crimson/Cream Staniers.. what are you trying to model ?

Would there ever be a situation 138 Stainers would be in a station or even a  carriage siding at anyone time, let alone anything else.

What are you doing for catering vehicles ?

re the Stanier Open, Replica have modelled this and it sits well with my Hornby staniers, at least in maroon.

Edited by adb968008

Well!  I cannot find this signal Box clip anywhere, either on Hornby's page or Youtube...

The links Paul.uni put up a few messages back give only old stuff.... keywords bring no result or old results.

Impossible, annoying and pathetic.    (hey, that sounds like me all over!)