English Electric Type 3 D6840 (Class 37)

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if any RMweb members can help me please?

I am trying to trace evidence of D6840 working in the Ayrshire area in 1967-68. My research has so far has confirmed she with allocated to Eastfield Depot on the 31/12/1966 and remained there for about 18 months. So far l have been unable to identify what work she was allocated to. I am hoping to find that she may have worked down as far as Falkland yard, just north of Ayr during her stay in Scotland. Can anyone confirm this?

Fingers Crossed

Bob C

• RMweb Premium

Hi Keefer

Many thanks for finding these two images, its a shame there is no date, but l suspect 1968, as it looks like the old fuel sidings on the Monkton side of Prestwick Airport. There are a series of photos taken at this location which feature 25/3s , Claytons and even a Brush type 4 all around the 1968 period, working fuel trains, but this is the 1st photos l ve seen of a type 3. 

Thank you so much for finding them!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Came across this old blog post by 'CHARD which details the early allocations of cl.37s in Scotland:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/4022-more-marauding-celtic-co-cos-in-the-central-belt/

For D6840 he has -  D6840: 66A 7/66, 65A 12/66, 66A 8/67, 64B 2/71, 66A 3/71, 65A 3/72, 64B 10/72, Cardiff 11/72

This would suggest that during your time frame, she was more likely to be in the area, being a Polmadie loco.

However, a post in this thread: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135382-first-class-25-37-47-allocations-in-scotland/&do=findComment&comment=3219472 suggest she could probably turn up anywhere!

Edited by keefer

Can I politely ask the reason for your enquiry please Bob ?

Is it because you want a model of it, but need hardcore evidence to prove or validate it ? 

Don't forget it is, and was, a 24 hour railway but not so many photos were taken when it was dark.  A classic example was the York Shrewsbury and Shrewsbury-York mails headcoded 1M41 and 1E24. The loco from York to Stockport was an ER boilered diesel, which turned round and went back with 1E24 in the 1980s. This was mostly a 40, 45, 46 or 47 but occasionally produced a deltic towards the end of their career.  During the daylight hours you would never believe a deltic worked in and out of Stockport station, but it happened in the dead of night. Similarly the WR occasionally sent class 50s up on the Cardiff-Crewe and Crewe-Cardiff postal in place of the "normal" type 4.  another location where you wouldn't expect to see a 50 - not until 50011 was sent to Crewe Works anyway.

Now I am citing the moderately unusual here, but if your 37 was based in the Scottish lowlands there is a very very slim chance it wouldn't have worked the same diagrams as all the others allocated to Motherwell and Polmadie.

6 hours ago, Covkid said:

Is it because you want a model of it, but need hardcore evidence to prove or validate it ? 

Don't forget it is, and was, a 24 hour railway but not so many photos were taken when it was dark.  A classic example was the York Shrewsbury and Shrewsbury-York mails headcoded 1M41 and 1E24. The loco from York to Stockport was an ER boilered diesel, which turned round and went back with 1E24 in the 1980s. This was mostly a 40, 45, 46 or 47 but occasionally produced a deltic towards the end of their career.  During the daylight hours you would never believe a deltic worked in and out of Stockport station, but it happened in the dead of night. Similarly the WR occasionally sent class 50s up on the Cardiff-Crewe and Crewe-Cardiff postal in place of the "normal" type 4.  another location where you wouldn't expect to see a 50 - not until 50011 was sent to Crewe Works anyway.

Now I am citing the moderately unusual here, but if your 37 was based in the Scottish lowlands there is a very very slim chance it wouldn't have worked the same diagrams as all the others allocated to Motherwell and Polmadie.

Somebody forgotten that before they were known as class 50s and went to the western region they entered service on the WCML taking over from electric traction at Crewe!

2 hours ago, johnd said:

Somebody forgotten that before they were known as class 50s and went to the western region they entered service on the WCML taking over from electric traction at Crewe!

Not at all John.  I was just trying to keep it within context. I know the "400s" were as common as muck around Crewe until they migrated to the Western Region in the 1970s but weren't exactly two a penny thereafter

• RMweb Premium
On 02/06/2019 at 01:08, Covkid said:

Hi CovKid

Many thanks for your input,  Yes the reason behind my inquiry is just to make sure l ve the right locomotive for the planned time frame.

There is a picture of her on the "Railscot" web site with her on the Airport branch at Prestwick (Fuel sidings left after the Monkton Branch was truncated) around 1968-69 still in Green with FYWP. So from that point l m reasonably happy to use this loco on my planned layout, whether she was sheded at  Polmadie or Eastfield. Could l be cheeky and ask if you could expand upon your last comment re if she's a lowland based engine?

So the next loco on my list is the big Suzler type 4s, which laid over in Glasgow after working north, and were used for local passenger and freight workings down in to Ayrshire around my proposed time frame. I ve traced a Saturday morning mail working from Glasgow to Ayr (On the Derby Sulzers web site), where the Type 4 comes off and runs light to Largs to work a local back to Glasgow, all very early morning stuff so as you as not much chance of a photo though! 

Once again many thanks

• RMweb Premium
On 01/06/2019 at 22:37, keefer said:

Came across this old blog post by 'CHARD which details the early allocations of cl.37s in Scotland:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/4022-more-marauding-celtic-co-cos-in-the-central-belt/

For D6840 he has -  D6840: 66A 7/66, 65A 12/66, 66A 8/67, 64B 2/71, 66A 3/71, 65A 3/72, 64B 10/72, Cardiff 11/72

This would suggest that during your time frame, she was more likely to be in the area, being a Polmadie loco.

However, a post in this thread: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135382-first-class-25-37-47-allocations-in-scotland/&do=findComment&comment=3219472 suggest she could probably turn up anywhere!

Many thanks for this information, it does confirm what l had already found re her time spent at Eastfield and at Polmadie.

Cheers 

Bob C

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Raising the thread from a slumber, just noticed this pic on Eastbank MRC's 'Glasgow Scenes' page.

Taken from the disused ex-Caledonian Possil line and showing D6838 (GFYE, serif numbers and BR totem) and 6849 (BFYE?, corporate numbers and arrows) on Eastfield depot in April 1969.

http://www.eastbank.org.uk/images/Glasgow/UK0541.jpg

Not @Blobrick's loco but two from the same batch mentioned in @'CHARD's old blog post.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1