Help with new layout design

ianly

• RMweb Gold
On 15/08/2020 at 20:11, ianly said:

Again, thanks for feedback. Hopefully, I haven't misunderstood same. 

The main changes from last nights plan are:

• Increased spacing between roads in storage area to 48mm and shortened four roads in each direction by 100mm. Doing so means that only one road in anti-clockwise group has a curve radius less than 610mm between the last curved turnout and straight. Most are greater than 610mm.
  • Radius of  curves at start and end of storage area are 610mm or greater.
  • The right hand crossover has been pulled fully into the scenic area to create space for a left hand turnout giving access to two hidden DMU storage roads. My logic here being that some DMUs are going to / coming from a different location than the others trains. It also avoids stacking DMUs in one storage road. For now, the plan shows the turnout half in/out of storage area but this may change. The crossover will be disguised as described by Simon (Flying Pig).
  • The branch line in front of the hidden storage area is scenic up to the red line to left of three-way turnout. I've added appropriate text and a red line to indicate same.

Note that the tightest curve radius in scenic area is 762mm, but most are much greater than this.

482531907_NoNameLayoutwith12LaneStorageYardRev8.png.88e6ab228fcefd3c84735649b7fd907e.png

Looking again at this latest plan it caused another though to come to mind.  Watching a DMU crossing over at the crossover on the right hand side replicates exactly what happens with a Weymouth trains as it passes Blatchbridge junction after leaving Frome.  If you then had an overbridge instead of an underbridge and moved it a little towards you main station you'd capture what goes on in the real world.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Looking again at this latest plan it caused another though to come to mind.  Watching a DMU crossing over at the crossover on the right hand side replicates exactly what happens with a Weymouth trains as it passes Blatchbridge junction after leaving Frome.  If you then had an overbridge instead of an underbridge and moved it a little towards you main station you'd capture what goes on in the real world.

I thought that - put the junction for Frome on scene, and maybe even send one of the main storage loops that way to allow the main line trains to serve "Frome" as happens in the real world.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Mike and Zomboid, both look like excellent suggestions. Hopefully, below plan is the correct interpretation. I've also added the crossover that JDW suggested.

1900778585_NoNameLayoutwith12LaneStorageYardRev9.png.a5ceeea1ecc822c6c124c3f9d1704efc.png

Edited by ianly
Uploaded wrong plan
  • Like 2

You're in about the area I would go, taking that idea.

Where you've got the crossover between the up & down, I would be tempted to put one at each end so you can reverse longer trains on those lines. Points of course are free in Anyrail, but cost actual money in real life...

I did this sketch to get the idea across, but just schematically rather than worrying about dimensions etc. Maybe it'll be helpful...

CCFY1.png.489f1af0a3c0b5c2bb7198866a8f56bd.png

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Interesting idea and thanks for suggesting. Unfortunately, it seems to loose one loop in clockwise direction and two in anticlockwise. It also shortens two loops in clockwise direction. Nevertheless, a slightly different approach gets me to a similar place on right side without loosing or significantly shortening any loops.

The left side looks to be more difficult, and since bi-directional running is a bonus rather than a necessity I think I may leave it as is, especially as there are now 41 turnouts shown on the plan. My current plan is to use DCCconcepts Cobalt-IP slow digital point motors, which  translates to approximately £750.

825033796_NoNameLayoutwith12LaneStorageYardRev10.png.5194caf18c053df6df06bd434ab2c71c.png

28 minutes ago, ianly said:

Interesting idea and thanks for suggesting. Unfortunately, it seems to loose one loop in clockwise direction and two in anticlockwise

Don't worry about how many lines I drew or the sizes, you can have as many as you like. It's supposed to be schematic, not "to scale".

As you've put the RHS crossover in that I suggested, just push the central one to the left end and its job done there.

Move the paintwork for the outermost loop further towards the straight and you've got space to park a DMU on the link between the branch and the main. It will reduce those outer two roads slightly, but they'll still be about 8 feet long, which ought to be enough...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If we've been round this loop already I apologise, but the complicated pointwork fans for the outer storage loops in the bottom left and right corners of the plan are a long stretch from the operating well.  Iirc the layout is hard up against the walls all the way round?  And the storage loops are going to be hidden (so presumably behind a retaining wall or similar at least).  A derailment in either corner is not going to be easy to sort out ........