Falmouth Docks in a Coffee Table

Cornholio

Inspired by Clive Baker's Layout Planning Article in this months BRM (June 2019), I've had a go at trying to squeeze Falmouth Docks into a glass topped coffee table.

The plan as printed in the magazine is 8ft x 2ft. My coffee table is about half that length, so obviously some compromise was required.

I primarily model in N-Gauge, with the Hunslet Industrial Shunter from NGS on the horizon, I thought I'd have a go at seeing just how much of the plan I could shoehorn into the coffee table. The actual usable space is 110cm by 50cm (about 3'7" x 1'7"), so I loaded up AnyRail and this is what I came up with:

GlassDock.jpg.6302c742a370876482e0d45be84411db.jpg

I've used standard Peco set-track throughout with the exception of the 90° crossing (by Atlas) and the 3 way point (Peco Streamline).

The tight curve is formed from flexi-track. This will obviously limit the stock that can navigate it, but such sharp curves are at least prototypical. 

A fiddle-stick connects at "A", other than that, the layout is completely self contained.

After costing up the design, it will probably never be built, but I thought I'd share it with you all anyway.

Best Wishes

Andrew

Edited by Cornholio
  • Like 9