If you are after something in particular post your wanted ad here.

David Geen wagon kits *Now sorted thanks*

cabbie37

I realise this may be a forlorn request, but in the time I have been away from the hobby, David Geen has come and gone. His kits seem to get very good reviews and I would like to have a go at building one or two (my interests lay with 1930s era SR but I won’t be picky). 

If if you have something that you might be prepared to part with or were thinking of putting on EBay, I might be interested. I would pay a fair price, so I’m not looking for bargains necessarily.

Drop me a pm if you have anything ...

many thanks in advance..

Hugh

Edited by cabbie37

I have a stock list if you let me know what you are after. The business is on hold whilst his wife's health is an issue and trains are far from a priority at present. Please do not expect fast turn around as I can only call in when it is convenient to both David's family and my work. I will be visiting mid next week so let me know by Tuesday night.

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie

Apologies for the delay in responding. I’m out of the country at the moment and access to RM is a bit spotty..

Thanks for the reply Mike, that is very kind of you to offer to help. Let me do a bit of digging on the range of kits David offered (I’ve found one dated 2009 on the web) and I’ll drop you a pm..

thanks again..

Hugh

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 01/06/2019 at 18:45, Coach bogie said:

I have a stock list if you let me know what you are after. The business is on hold whilst his wife's health is an issue and trains are far from a priority at present. Please do not expect fast turn around as I can only call in when it is convenient to both David's family and my work. I will be visiting mid next week so let me know by Tuesday night.

Mike Wiltshire

Good afternoon, Mike,

further to yours and Hugh's posts above, I had been looking to replace a few GWR wagon kits that I very foolishly sold several years ago, in particular the outside-framed van W/001, and both the 3-plank opens W/002 and W/003.

I realise that both David and Dorothy are not in the best of health, so wondered if there's any likelihood of production of David's range being started anew?

Thanks for any info!

Best regards,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/06/2019 at 13:45, Coach bogie said:

Mike Wiltshire

Mike

When you have the opportunity and not to disturb Dave in any way, I would be grateful if you could track down one of his chassis kits for the LIMA Siphons (G/H). No hurry - an ETA to the nearest year will be fine!

Best,

Marcus  

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, EHertsGER said:

Mike

When you have the opportunity and not to disturb Dave in any way, I would be grateful if you could track down one of his chassis kits for the LIMA Siphons (G/H). No hurry - an ETA to the nearest year will be fine!

Best,

Marcus  

There is no actual kit, David supplies a series of bits to suit the particular version that you want. From memory there are 5 or 6 variants. i think that there's a list on here somewhere.

As above, there is no stock for the siphons as the variations are too great to stock every combination. David's stock is mainly the wagon kits and etches for the Geen and Hayes range. It has been possible to complete some coach kits from stock, but not in all cases. I have made up a small quantity of Tool vans, Dreadnought and E78 in the Hayes range recently, but the main Geen range needs castings producing which is not possible at the moment.

Mike Wiltshire

On 29/07/2019 at 09:22, Coach bogie said:

As above, there is no stock for the siphons as the variations are too great to stock every combination. David's stock is mainly the wagon kits and etches for the Geen and Hayes range. It has been possible to complete some coach kits from stock, but not in all cases. I have made up a small quantity of Tool vans, Dreadnought and E78 in the Hayes range recently, but the main Geen range needs castings producing which is not possible at the moment.

Mike Wiltshire

Mike

Thank you for that - I suspected as much as the whole world of Siphons seems to be a minefield! Regardless, I pressed on and found (somewhere - maybe here on RMWeb) that some have taken the Comet LMS 50' chassis kit as a basis for the underpinnings of the Airfix body and simply hung the relevant GWR bits off it, adding MJT bogies as appropriate. 

That seems to be the easiest approach so that's the way I am going. I did buy one of Mr MacDonand's Siphon G kits thinking I would use the chassis from that but it's too good to sacrifice the excellent body. So now I am being drawn into the world of Siphons and building two. On an E Herts branchline? It's what happens when one finds a 40 year old Airfix at the back of the cupboard...

Best,

Marcus  

Further research reveals I might, with an indulgent audience, get away with the Siphon H being used as a pigeon van...

Edited by EHertsGER
  • Like 2

On 29/07/2019 at 14:22, Coach bogie said:

Mike Wiltshire

Hi Mike,

I don't suppose you know anything of the availability of David's milk tanker kits?

Thanks,

Alastair

7 hours ago, EHertsGER said:

Have you tried Rumney Models' milk tanks? 

Hi,

Yes I have, they are superb but aren't full body kits - as far as I am aware? You still need both the whitemetal and lost wax castings, that's what I have done with my couple - Rumney chassis and the rest from the David Geen kit.

It would be a shame if the milk tanker kits disappeared.

Thanks