OO scale motorised semaphore signals.

Hi, I’m hoping that this is the best section to ask this.

I’m currently using Cobalt levers to operate my point motors. I’m operate them purely by passing contact analogue to keep things simple.

I’m now at the stage of fitting signals.

I want to operate them in a similar fashion, just by using the passing contact wiring cobalt levers.

Im assuming the signals will have a solenoid rather than a motor.

I would much appreciate some advice on what signal kits are available. I’ve looked up the Dapol ones but don’t know if they can be used by passing contact type operation.

cheers

jim. 

C Parkstone's Railway and Dapol Signals DCC Concepts.

Personally I'd have thought you'd only want to connect to one of the passing contacts rather than splitting one of the Dapol wires to go to both. The Dapol signal toggles on each momentary switch closure so one pulse should be enough. I guess if the signal is in motion it ignores a second pulse?

Don't forget that because the Dapol signal simply toggles it could get out of correspondence with the lever position. This can of course be addressed by moving the lever part way just until the signal changes then returning it to its starting position.

20 hours ago, Chris White said:

C Parkstone's Railway and Dapol Signals DCC Concepts.

Personally I'd have thought you'd only want to connect to one of the passing contacts rather than splitting one of the Dapol wires to go to both. The Dapol signal toggles on each momentary switch closure so one pulse should be enough. I guess if the signal is in motion it ignores a second pulse?

Don't forget that because the Dapol signal simply toggles it could get out of correspondence with the lever position. This can of course be addressed by moving the lever part way just until the signal changes then returning it to its starting position.

Thanks for the advice.

cheers

jim

24 minutes ago, Jim said:

Thanks for the advice.

cheers

jim

If I operated the Dapol signals using the passing contacts on the cobalt levers, would I have to hold the lever over until the signal arm finished it’s movement? 

Jim

On 01/06/2019 at 11:52, mwrosebury2000 said:

I use passing contact switches on Dapol signals and I have fund that the trick is to throw the switch nice and slow. If it gets out of sync then I just throw it fast. I don't think it gives it enough time to energise if you do it quick.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Many thanks.

I’ve ordered a Dapol stop signal and a Dcc concepts lever to experiment with.

Can the signal get its power from the DCC track bus?

If so, that would make wiring so much simpler, only having to run the yellow wires back to the lever frame.

cheers Jim 

Edited by Jim
Extra info

23 hours ago, Jim said:

... Can the signal get its power from the DCC track bus? ...

As I understand it no. The Dapol signal requires an AC supply of not more than 14 volts or a DC supply of not more than 12 volts. You could derive a suitable DC supply from a DCC track bus but you'd need a special circuit to do so. DCC is a high speed pulsed waveform not normal AC and most standard rectifiers aren't fast enough to reliably convert it to DC.

34 minutes ago, Chris White said:

As I understand it no. The Dapol signal requires an AC supply of not more than 14 volts or a DC supply of not more than 12 volts. You could derive a suitable DC supply from a DCC track bus but you'd need a special circuit to do so. DCC is a high speed pulsed waveform not normal AC and most standard rectifiers aren't fast enough to reliably convert it to DC.

Many thanks.

I’ll order a Gaugemaster AC power pack. They’ve got two AC outputs so one can go to the CDU and points and the other to the signals. 

I’ll run a power bus for signals to make life simpler.

cheers Jim 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 03/06/2019 at 12:22, Jim said:

Many thanks.

I’ll order a Gaugemaster AC power pack. They’ve got two AC outputs so one can go to the CDU and points and the other to the signals. 

I’ll run a power bus for signals to make life simpler.

cheers Jim 

Personaly I would be wary about going for an AC supply - when first released people had a lot of trouble with the built in rectifiers dieing and the signals becoming non operative as a consiquence (I had to send 4 back to Hattons as a result of this fault).

IIRC more recently released signals have amended instructions saying only a 12V DC supply should be used.

It would be better to use a 9 to 12V DC supply to avoid this problem - and it should be noted that the signals will work quite happily from a single 9V PP3 battery so depending on usage that may be an option.

• 3 years later...