Did Romford make an exact clone of the X.04 motor?

rogerzilla

I have a motor here from Ebay in a Romford box but it has 3 poles and is utterly indistinguishable from an X.04 - I have two here to compare it with.  Did Romford make such a thing, or is is it just an old X.04 that someone tidy-minded has put in the box after upgrading?

20190530_210244.jpg

Agree Hornby motor, as far as I know only was the MW/MRRC 005 motor was made as a direct replacement. I have had various motors in different boxes

ECM fitted a mounting bracket to a Can motor

Southeastern Finecast mad a motor mount for the D11 & D13 motors

Have an inkling there was another make as well

Looks like an X04. However  If its a motor in a Romford motor box most people would assume its a Romford motor, sellers as well as buyers.

It should have been apparent from the listing photos whether it was 3 pole or 4 pole.  Incorrectly listed items are a good source of bargains.

I would rather have the three pole X04 than the gutless wonder MW005 and the like.   If its a good X04 so I would keep it or sell it on and put it down to experience rather than get combative and try for a refund.

• Agree 1

David

I both agree and disagree with you, however if you are selling something you should make every effort to describe the motor correctly, the MW 005 is not a Romford motor being either a MW or MRRC and many feel it is far superior than the Hornby product

For a collector a Romford motor is far more expensive than either a MW or Hornby product, I can understand that this may be a genuine mistake but would you be saying the same about a cheap pair of sunglasses being passed off as a top brand 

Also there is no need to be combative when getting back to the seller, nothing wrong in politely informing the seller of the problem, as you say one remedy if a premium rice has not been paid is to resell it if its not required, As both a buyer and seller of model railway items, I expect that items are as described, on the other hand if as a seller I made an error I would ( like I guess the vast majority of sellers would) most certainly be prepared to resolve the problem which I had caused.

In this case if we are not talking about much money, then it may not be worth perusing or a partial refund would be in order. Different story if a premium price had been paid 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, hayfield said:

David

I both agree and disagree with you, however if you are selling something you should make every effort to describe the motor correctly, the MW 005 is not a Romford motor being either a MW or MRRC and many feel it is far superior than the Hornby product

For a collector a Romford motor is far more expensive than either a MW or Hornby product, I can understand that this may be a genuine mistake but would you be saying the same about a cheap pair of sunglasses being passed off as a top brand 

Also there is no need to be combative when getting back to the seller, nothing wrong in politely informing the seller of the problem, as you say one remedy if a premium rice has not been paid is to resell it if its not required, As both a buyer and seller of model railway items, I expect that items are as described, on the other hand if as a seller I made an error I would ( like I guess the vast majority of sellers would) most certainly be prepared to resolve the problem which I had caused.

In this case if we are not talking about much money, then it may not be worth perusing or a partial refund would be in order. Different story if a premium price had been paid 

But at least one eBay seller on RMweb, has suggested that if you complain in anyway, about one of his listings, then he will ban you from future bidding!

I agree with you that an MW005, is a much better motor than an X04. 

20 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

But at least one eBay seller on RMweb, has suggested that if you complain in anyway, about one of his listings, then he will ban you from future bidding!

Does this matter? If I buy something from eBay and have a problem, I'm not going to buy from them again anyway!

• Agree 1

Could be a honest mistake, a lot of model railway items in my experience are listed by people clearing models etc owned by deceased relatives so something in the wrong box is not readily going to be noted if it seems right. Can be the benefit of the buyer like the Bachmann 03 I got which was wrongly listed and failed to mention it had Kadees and a decoder fitted :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

I agree with you that an MW005, is a much better motor than an X04. 

If the item is clearly not as described and the seller bans you its the seller that has a bad attitude not the buyer

56 minutes ago, Wheres_Wally said:

Does this matter? If I buy something from eBay and have a problem, I'm not going to buy from them again anyway!

If the seller has made a genuine mistake and resolves it then they are a good seller and worth buying from in the future

43 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Could be a honest mistake, a lot of model railway items in my experience are listed by people clearing models etc owned by deceased relatives so something in the wrong box is not readily going to be noted if it seems right. Can be the benefit of the buyer like the Bachmann 03 I got which was wrongly listed and failed to mention it had Kadees and a decoder fitted :D 

Agree it could be an honest mistake, and the model you bought was as described, but with extras not described, I guess the decoder could not be seen in the photo's but the Kadees could, I would be looking at what else they were selling looking for other gems.

I bought 2 RTR locos from Rails of Sheffield which both had etched chassis (wanted them for a couple of kits I had) they missed that they both had RG4 motors, think I paid £30 ish each !!  Not just the public that make mistakes

• Agree 1

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 14:22, Thane of Fife said:

I was banned from bidding by one seller, because I asked if a J70 model was from a Kays kit or of a Hornby model. I suspect that he wasn't being truthful in his description. 

Malcolm

was it fife_loco by any chance? as had issues with him.

Edited by vikingsmb

This motor does certainly look like an XO4 but something about it does not look right. There are no oil retaining pads which I think the XO4 usually had. The surface of the magnet is very pitted whereas every XO4 I have owned had a magnet with a smooth surface. 

I don’t know if this is a Romford motor but I feel it may not be an XO4.

Sandra

Definitely an X04 motor, a late production by the look of most of it. The worm is a coarse single start and used in the 0-4-0s until replaced with first of the various can motor designs. Hornby left out the felt bearing pads, the bearing plate by the magnet by this time was steel, it was aluminium previously and brass before that. The armature looks older, the later ones had green epoxy type insulation around the steel stampings. So I imagine it has been replaced at some time. Hornby's cost cutting made a good motor of its time into a poor one in later years.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering from the type of worm gear fitted if this motor is not the one for the turntable! Was it not called a X03 ? Haven't bothered checking this but one thing for sure it ain't a Romford bulldog

as others have said if you didn't pay a lot for it keep it as a spair

• RMweb Gold
On 11/06/2019 at 18:25, Graham456 said:

Just wondering from the type of worm gear fitted if this motor is not the one for the turntable! Was it not called a X03 ? Haven't bothered checking this but one thing for sure it ain't a Romford bulldog

as others have said if you didn't pay a lot for it keep it as a spair

Agreed, turntable motor almost certainly. The solder tag and wires fitted to it as well as the brass single start worm are a good indication.

The X03 is the one with the plastic single start worm. 

Edited by RedgateModels
Added snip from service sheet

• 2 weeks later...