Buchmann City Class Smokebox

Hey all,

I recently purchased a Bachmann City Class 4-4-0 model ... Killarney ... and the smokebox hinge either looks broken or disconnected .... can anyone give me a tip and/or opinion on how to repair this ... very fine detail so will try my best with the images. There seems to be a U-shaped hinge that looks like it just needs to be put back into a small hole ... but I am not sure ... also not sure if this needs to be glued or not so looking for some tips:

Image A: shows how the hinge is not connected properly or is broken

Image B: shows the U-shaped hinge but the flash from my iPhone doesn't give the detail

Image C: without a flask shows the hings a little better ... and the hole I assume it goes into

Appreciate any help thanks :)

Image A.JPG

Image B.JPG

Image C.JPG

• RMweb Gold

The top hinge is indeed broken, and is to be fair a quite delicate thing on this model to provide detail inside the smokebox.  The simplest repair method is to glue it carefully back together and glue the door in a shut position, which will seal the internal smokebox detail from human view forever.  If the loco is not to be posed showing this detail, such as on shed having a boiler washout or over the ash pit having the ash cleaned from the smokebox, this may not matter to you.

If you want to preserve the opening smokebox door, then we are into a different ball game. and a working hinge must be built to scale; I would have thought brass is probably the best material for this.