Handsworth Works - Scalescenes Boxfile Layout in 00

Thanks very much for the comments chaps, I really appreciate it!

15 hours ago, john new said:

Are the plates on Handsworth bespoke order etches or photo-prints? (With apologies if I've missed that being mentioned earlier in the feed)

John, they are customised etches from Narrow Planet. They take a while to recieve but they look absolutely fantastic.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, luke the train spotter said:

That’s an awesome wagon load! The quality of modelling here is just phenomenal, stunning work! Would you ever consider selling your 3D prints like the cones etc on eBay?

30 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

That is some great modelling. It would be great if forum members could purchase cones, pallets and other items.

Thanks guys, funnily enough I started an Etsy store this morning really just to gauge interest. I only have a pack of cones on there at the moment but if anyone is interested I'll happily add some more stuff. I'll pop some better pictures up for the cones too. I do want to do an enhancement pack for the Scalescenes Boxfile kit but wanted to run it by Scalescenes themselves first just to make sure they didn't have a problem with it, and I still need to figure out exactly what I would include.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/EchoRangeModels

Edited by Locksley
More info
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, luke the train spotter said:

Awesome! I’ve just ordered a pack so can’t wait to get some on the layout. Out of interest, what did you use to paint yours and did you prime the 3D print?

Thanks Luke! Really appreciate it. Your traffic cones are printed and all good, I just need to figure out the best way of packing them. I hope to have them in the post soon! Painting wise, pretty much as you'd paint any resin parts, they don't explicitly need a primer as the parts are washed in IPA when they come out of the printer and then given a final UV cure so they should be as clean as a whistle. I used Mr Color laquer black as a basecoat over the bare resin, then an overall coat of red, both airbrushed on, and then carefully hand painted the base with Mission Models acrylic black. I think you'd be fine using any hobby paints, but do let me know how you get on. I will also mention, I had planned to remove them from the support sprue that they are printed on however I think they will be more protected in transit if left on, so all you need to is snip them off and sand the base smooth.

EDIT: Sorry I've also just noticed the listing still said a pack of 14, there will actually be 16 per pack. This includes your order as well Luke.

PSX_20190619_221033small.jpg.50e88673a76fd1752663289867deae27.jpg

5 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Nice one Luke. I’m hoping Alex has some more in stock for next week and a few other items I have mentioned which would be great sellers.

Thanks again for the ideas Don, I'm putting together a pack of pallets as we speak which I'm planning will include a 1 large and 1 medium stack of pallets, 2 packing crates/boxes and a handful of single pallets.

Also, for anyone interested I have another set of traffic cones ready to go, the listing is back up on Etsy.

Edited by Locksley
Info
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 19/06/2019 at 07:26, Locksley said:

I also managed my best print yet of a 48DS that I've been modelling up for the past couple of weeks. It's not particularly accurate but looks enough like one to pop in a siding somewhere, or to use as a lowmac load

The 48ds looks the business. They are my favourite locos so I am always pleased to see one, even as a wagon load! It may not be correct for some rivet-counters but it certainly looks like one and that is all that matters in my opinion! Given its tiny size, I guess it was a fairly economical print? 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

At last, found a fault, on the last picture of the Sentinel you haven't blended in the coupling blanking piece, there's hope for the rest of us!! (tongue firmly in cheek btw!).

Your thoughts about Boothy's as a layout echo one of the many thoughts I have had for layouts, stemming from hours spent trainspotting at Holmes Junction when it was a triangle and seeing the shunters being delivered to the Ickles area scrapyards. Your scrap wagons have re-ignited my thoughts about a micro of some variety and Handsworth Works is an admirable impetus.

Mike.

Also ex SMRE of many many moons ago in Cutler Street days!

• Funny 1

On 07/07/2019 at 23:54, south_tyne said:

The 48ds looks the business. They are my favourite locos so I am always pleased to see one, even as a wagon load! It may not be correct for some rivet-counters but it certainly looks like one and that is all that matters in my opinion! Given its tiny size, I guess it was a fairly economical print? 

Thanks! It's probably about on par with a wagon in amount of resin and print time.

On 08/07/2019 at 08:36, Enterprisingwestern said:

At last, found a fault, on the last picture of the Sentinel you haven't blended in the coupling blanking piece, there's hope for the rest of us!! (tongue firmly in cheek btw!).

Your thoughts about Boothy's as a layout echo one of the many thoughts I have had for layouts, stemming from hours spent trainspotting at Holmes Junction when it was a triangle and seeing the shunters being delivered to the Ickles area scrapyards. Your scrap wagons have re-ignited my thoughts about a micro of some variety and Handsworth Works is an admirable impetus.

Mike.

Also ex SMRE of many many moons ago in Cutler Street days!

Haha, I still would have liked to have blended the blanking plates but I do want to retain the ability to couple to other stock. I'm sort of edging away from a Booth's layout and more towards an Orgreave/Aldwarke steelworks kind of thing but I'm not sure yet. Also, always nice to hear from ex SMRE members, I'm afraid Cutler Street is a tad before my time, I think the main large layout layout when I joined was Sheldon, and that was getting pretty long in the tooth even then.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Reiterating what has already been said about amazing modelling and weathering - oh to get DRS Engineering looking anything like!

Any updates on this box file layout, or on your resin parts?

Steve

Thanks Steve! Unfortunately no :( I will get back to this one day though!

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Locksley,

just having a browse this morning and happened on this fantastic project.  That Sentinel is just amazing and the workshop is just brilliant - you just wish you could walk in those doors and explore it!  That night shot photo of the workshop is a real piece of art - good photography of railway layouts is of great interest to me.  Lots of inspiration here and I look forward to seeing more. 

Mike

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1