TRACTION 252

steverabone

• RMweb Premium

Traction252cover.jpg

Welcome to the July and August edition of TRACTION.

In this issue we start with a look at the freight scene on South Humberside in the 1990s. David Ratcliffe photographed and recorded details of the steel traffic being exported through the docks at Grimsby and Immingham.

The ‘Hymek’ hydraulic locomotives were one of the shortest lived classes of British main line diesels and, whilst successful and reliable, they fell foul of the decision to concentrate on diesel electric propulsion. Andrew James looks at their work on express trains in the Thames Valley to see how they performed.

2019 marks a significant change in rail operations in East Anglia with the ending of locomotive hauled trains to Norwich and Great Yarmouth. We have two features to record the changes that have taken place over the years. Steven Goodrum looks back to the days of Class 47 hauled summer Saturday trains to Great Yarmouth in 1993, whilst Gavin Morrison’s photos of the Norwich area between 1979 and 2001 show the variety of power that could be seen in the city.

Andy Armitage concludes his account of working at Euston Power Signal Box in the 1970s with a detailed look at day time operations and the problems that occurred from time to time.

Rail tours are notorious for delays but nobody could have predicted the problems of the ‘County Durham Crusader’ one Saturday in March 1979. Not only was there heavy snowfall but, earlier that day, the disastrous collapse of the roof of Penmanshiel Tunnel had thrown the Easy Coast Main Line into chaos. Lewis Bevan describes the events of the day and the later successful re-running of the train in May of the same year.

Kensington Olympia and the West London Line have featured several times in TRACTION over the years but, with more information now available, David Hayes returns with a detailed look at everyday freight operations in the 1970s, when the line was busy with an incredible variety of traffic.

Colin Boocock concludes his article considering the parallel development of German electric locomotives on both sides of the Iron Curtain. In a perhaps surprising development, many of the former East German locomotives migrated west, where many of them continue to work long after most of their West German have gone to the scrapyard.

Finally, we have two short photo features; the single unit Class 128 parcels DMUs and timber trains in the Republic of Ireland.

In TRACTION MODELLING, we take a look at Allan Cromarty’s Oulton TMD layout, which was expanded far beyond the original plan to build a diesel depot.

Will Thompson returns with some more ideas of improving and modifying Hornby Class 60s.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

This looks a very interesting issue - what date does it go on sale in the shops please?  I just checked the website, but that shows the May/June issue as the current one.

Edit: Just been to my local newsagents - purchased one from there (the only copy).

Edited by cravensdmufan
Added text to update post

• 3 weeks later...

Steve I’m new to the forum and it’s great to know there is a magazine on traction, this is the part of railway modelling I am drawn to. 

Will go and get my copy this week :)