Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

British Rail Headcode Typeface and Fonts

• RMweb Premium

There is an easy way to make your own headcodes.

Use a photo, scan it in or from the interwebthingy, crop it so only the headcode is left. using an image manipulator take out any perspective. Resize and print to fit the model loco.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Lantavian said:

Ooops. Thanks for that though. V interesting.

BTW why were headcodes abandoned?

As MAS schemes were implemented and section signal boxes disappeared there was no-one to observe the running of trains and therefore the need for direct visual identification disappeared. Still continued on MAS panel displays and operating documents however.

57 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Use a photo, scan it in or from the interwebthingy, crop it so only the headcode is left. using an image manipulator take out any perspective. Resize and print to fit the model loco.

You can lead a "Sheep" to water...     :smile_mini:

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Porcy Mane said:

I'll just leave this quote here as it would seem a few folk don't like following links

Ah, that'll probably be me included amongst those few folk.  Sorry, I somehow skipped straight past your post and link halfway down the first page (and I wasn't following RMweb in 2010 when you provided us with the answer the first time round).  Thanks for the link to the information and source and thank you for coming up with an answer to a puzzle I've tried to solve for decades, despite me having more than a passing interest in type design.  That's made me happy for the rest of the day now! 

Pete T.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Lantavian said:

It sounds like another example of lack of forethought in BR. Clearly a lot of work went into creating the typeface for the roller blinds, as Porcy Mane's postings show. But they were only really needed for less than a decade :-(

The roller blinds were in use from 1960 to 1976. My maths and yours appear different. Anyhow through out history what seem a good idea at the time can sometimes not be so, that includes ones I have made regarding how my future was going to progress but didn't.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Anyhow through out history what seem a good idea at the time can sometimes not be so, that includes ones I have made regarding how my future was going to progress but didn't.

Oh, you and me both!  However as an old work colleague of mine used to say, 'We're still here, so we must have done something right.'

Pete T.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The roller blinds were in use from 1960 to 1976. My maths and yours appear different. Anyhow through out history what seem a good idea at the time can sometimes not be so, that includes ones I have made regarding how my future was going to progress but didn't.

Pedant mode on **** Whoop Whoop ***

What was the first loco in to traffic with 4 character headcode blinds - and what year? 

**** Whoop Whoop **** pedant mode off

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Reckon you are spot on Grahame - there were also D813 and E3001 in 1959 - suspect the WR were hot on display from the off as they already had their own system which was effectively the last 3 digits of 4 character

Early photos of AC electrics suggest the LMR wasnt quite so sure!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/62532775@N03/30032200620

What was the ER like?

Kind regards

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Reckon you are spot on Grahame - there were also D813 and E3001 in 1959 - suspect the WR were hot on display from the off as they already had their own system which was effectively the last 3 digits of 4 character

Early photos of AC electrics suggest the LMR wasnt quite so sure!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/62532775@N03/30032200620

What was the ER like?

Kind regards

Phil

Dear Lord Bullock of Abbotswood

The ER displayed the old alphabetical train description, until the change to the 4 character headcode display which became universal in 1962. Well the ScR didn't seem overly keen on it and the SR had its own two character system and then there was all them DMUs with only two roller blinds, let alone those locos that were equipped with disc. Not to mention the steam locos with their oil lamps.

Swindon Intercity units based on the ScR even displayed the old G&SWR and CR semaphore route codes.

Headcode display is a fascinating subject which many modellers (not your good self) seem to be clueless on.

Only one year out, not too bad as it was a long time ago. :nono:

• Like 1

Even though the ER were probably the first certainly the GE section didn't start using all four characters until approx. 1962, using mainly the fist, third and fourth characters. the GN however used just the second character originally until around 1962 when the full train reporting system was introduced. My dates are approximated based on photographs and images I have in my collection.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Dear Lord Bullock of Abbotswood

Only one year out, not too bad as it was a long time ago. :nono:

Hee hee! Sorry Clive..... but reinforces your point re the original maths! I was aged 4 at the time.....

22 minutes ago, BrushVeteran said:

Even though the ER were probably the first certainly the GE section didn't start using all four characters until approx. 1962, using mainly the fist, third and fourth characters. the GN however used just the second character originally until around 1962 when the full train reporting system was introduced. My dates are approximated based on photographs and images I have in my collection.

Suspected it was a bit more random .... many thanks

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, PJT said:

Similarly, the 'B's are very different.

Just as a last comment from me about the headcode characters not being a 'proper' typeface, I forgot to mention when I made the comment above that while the headcode characters are sans serif (i.e. without 'tails' on the strokes), the headcode 'B' has been designed with serifs to further help distinguish it visually from an '8'.  I can't think of any other type style anywhere that mixes together serif and sans serif characters.  Can anybody else think of one?

...crawls back under his typographical stone...

Pete T.

Edited by PJT
Couple of letters missed out - wireless keyboard battery running low
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, PJT said:

I can't think of any other type style anywhere that mixes together serif and sans serif characters.  Can anybody else think of one?

You've not seen my handwriting then?, I even manage to morph upper and lower case letters into words!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I even manage to morph upper and lower case letters into words!

My Pam does that.  I wouldn't want her to change it for the world!

Pete T.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

You've not seen my handwriting then?, I even manage to morph upper and lower case letters into words!

Mike.

Sounds like you are a member of the brain works faster than the hand club Mike...

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Sounds like you are a member of the brain works faster than the hand club Mike...

So's my Pam.  Unfortunately I'm very definitely at the other end of the scale.

Pete T.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I'll take that as a compliment,,,,,,,,, I think!!!

Mike.

Please do Mike!

My youngest son had these issues at school and was branded as dyslexic. The issue for me always was - once you leave the education system how much does life depend on the hand written word these days?

He has since moved to Estonia, held down two jobs in IT based environment which he has made his own and is consulted on the interface between Estonian and English politics and also Estonian data security.

We all have traits on several scales - its the balance that is key.  

So back to headcode fonts..... had never noticed the seriffed B , but totally get it....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

My youngest son had these issues at school and was branded as dyslexic.

Unfortunately Pam's of an age when she was repeatedly told she was just stupid at school.  Everyone who knows her would protest that no label could be less appropriate for her.  Still after 50-odd years, the scars have never quite healed and her handwriting (and sometimes very phonetic spelling) is still very exclusively hers, bless her cotton socks.

27 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

So back to headcode fonts..... had never noticed the seriffed B , but totally get it....

Amazing, isn't it?  Once you've noticed it or had your attention drawn to it, it hits you right between the eyes!

Pete T.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Please do Mike!

My youngest son had these issues at school and was branded as dyslexic. The issue for me always was - once you leave the education system how much does life depend on the hand written word these days?

He has since moved to Estonia, held down two jobs in IT based environment which he has made his own and is consulted on the interface between Estonian and English politics and also Estonian data security.

We all have traits on several scales - its the balance that is key.  

Hi Phil,

The above just goes to shew that one size fits all education is a complete nonsense, good for your son on his achievements !

Gibbo.

• Like 2