OO MOD KFA/PFB Warflat - Exclusive to Trains4U

Trains4U

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Phil Mc said:

Mine were delivered about an hour ago. :D

Lovely looking they are too, seems a shame they won't stay so clean for long....

Cheers,

Phil.

And so they didn't.....

20210626_181127.jpg.696d3ce2539440cb941267a1b9247b30.jpg

20210626_181058.jpg.8f8df9f416cf508fb3cc7ed68b615697.jpg

Few more pics, and a bit of a description into what I did, on my thread in case anyone is interested !!

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

In case anyone else is as foolish as I, dont let Humbrol acrylic varnish anywhere near these - Ive just frosted both of mine :wild:

Oh well, I really wanted to repaint all the decking planks :cray_mini2:

• Informative/Useful 3

21 hours ago, ba14eagle said:

In case anyone else is as foolish as I, dont let Humbrol acrylic varnish anywhere near these - Ive just frosted both of mine :wild:

Oh well, I really wanted to repaint all the decking planks :cray_mini2:

Sorry to hear that, however I would like to say that in my experience its not limited to our paint finishes (we use the same paints as many RTR railway companies).

From a personal modelling point of view I have used Humbrol acrylic matt varnish a few times in the past and never once was able, on any finish, to get it to go on without frosting (or looking like I'd covered it in powder of some kind rather than a smooth matt coat) and as such I never elected use it again. I do not rate the product at all from my experience.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

My wagons arrived today, and I am a very happy man. They look absolutely stunning, I will have to make sure I take plenty of reference images for weathering when I get to mess with the 12”-to-the-foot scale versions for work soon!

I did, however, have one “faulty” wagon - one of the KFA(3) wagons had alternating brake discs on a single axle. That is one axle on one bogie had an outer brake disc on the left wheel, and an inner brake disc on the right wheel, again; on one axle. (Rather than both discs on one wheel on the “first” axle of the bogie, and both discs on the opposite wheel on the “second” axle of the bogie). Nothing a careful application of modelling can’t solve, however!

Absolutely 5 stars for another stunning Cavalex product, and a HUGE thank you to Trains4U for commissioning it!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Checked the wheels on mine after that. Had a few that were fitted the wrong way round but easy to sort. I did notice that a couple if then had sidefeames that were tilting inwards. Didnt know the sideframes are actually screwed to the bolster.  What an excellent idea for diferent sideframes. Again should be an easy fix this.  Also fitted some chocks that SWMBO told me to buy as I would only regret it if I didn't. She wasn't wrong. They are excellent little renditions. Just need to buckup the courage to weather them now and fit strapping. Vehicles are Oxford 1t LandRover FC Ambulance on my Hattons Wawells and a pair of Cararama Landrover LWB Ambulance on the Warflat. Have a couple of S&M FM432's to build for the other Warflat  the more I look at these the more I realise how good they really are.

LCheers Trailrage.

Screenshot_20210630-135038_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210630-134946_Gallery.jpg

20210630_134555.jpg

20210630_134407.jpg

20210630_134403.jpg

Edited by TRAILRAGE
  • Like 7

40 minutes ago, TRAILRAGE said:

Checked the wheels on mine after that. Had a few that were fitted the wrong way round but easy to sort. I did notice that a couple if then had sidefeames that were tilting inwards. Didnt know the sidefrznws are actually screwed to the bolster.  Whst an excellent idea for diferent sideframes. Again should be an easy fix this.  Alsdo fitted some chocks that SWMBO told me to buy as I would only regret it! They are excellent little renditions. Just need toblluckbup the courage to wrather them and fit strapping. Oxford 1t LandRover FC Ambulance on my Hattons Wawells and a pair of Cararama Landrover LWB on the Warflat. Have a couple of S&M FM432's to build for the other Warflat  the more I look at these the more I realise how good they really are. Cheers Trailrage.

Screenshot_20210630-135038_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210630-134946_Gallery.jpg

20210630_134555.jpg

20210630_134407.jpg

20210630_134403.jpg

Hi TRAILRAGE, sorry to hear that you had some bogie side frames that were tilting inwards. 

If you have any further issues then please do let us know.

The Land Rovers and chocks look good on the PFBs.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Grimleygrid I will definstely have to get some more chocks. Thinking of using some wide flossing wire for the straps  absolutely love these wagons you guys have really outdone yourselves and others with the quality you've achieved. Keep up the amazing work all of you. 

Cheers Trailrage

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRAILRAGE said:

Thanks Grimleygrid I will definstely have to get some more chocks. Thinking of using some wide flossing wire for the straps  absolutely love these wagons you guys have really outdone yourselves and others with the quality you've achieved. Keep up the amazing work all of you. 

Cheers Trailrage

Hi Trailrage, thanks for your kind comments. We are pleased to hear that you like the wagons.

Thank you Trailrage and to everyone that has supported this project - it is great to see photos of the models on layouts.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TRAILRAGE said:

Cheers Trailrage

It will be interesting to see how folk approach modelling the tie-downs. I have just tracked down an old Airfix Scorpion kit - unopened box in its plastic wrapping..a bit of AFV modelling will ensue..

Whatever the solution I do note the loaded wagon will not fit back in its box ;) .....I'll get my coat...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I really like the old Airfix Scorpion/ Scimitar kits I have one built as a  Scorpion, one built as a Scimitar and was going to see If I could modify one into a Sabre.   just hate the bloody awful tracks that have to be heat glued together. None of mine  worked!

Cheers Trailrage

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TRAILRAGE said:

I really like the old Airfix Scorpion/ Scimitar kits I have one built as a  Scorpion, one built as a Scimitar and was going to see If I could modify one into a Sabre.   just hate the bloody awful tracks that have to be heat glued together. None of mine  worked!

Cheers Trailrage

You’ll need to add a spacer to the Scorpion turret ring and slim down the Scimitar turret as the Fox ones used on the conversions were not as deep as original Scimitar ones. Also change the coax from a GPMG to a chain gun (but neither should be fitted for rail transport).

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, exet1095 said:

You’ll need to add a spacer to the Scorpion turret ring and slim down the Scimitar turret as the Fox ones used on the conversions were not as deep as original Scimitar ones. Also change the coax from a GPMG to a chain gun (but neither should be fitted for rail transport).

Paul

Hello Paul. 

Thank you for that. I hadn't realised that was the case. looks like some research is in need of.

Cheers Trailrage

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mine are ready for service.

20210702_155642.jpg.76b9365661ecb9a2fd90053819f9864e.jpg

20210702_155800.jpg.8e9ef91282e4f30ff3fb74d672b731fa.jpg

I'd have gone for the chocks, but I wanted these to match the Warwells I've already done !

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I added some 3mm diameter x 2mm magnets so my vehicles can be removed and I’ll probably make the tie downs out of scrap etch strip pinned into the casting so they are robust enough to hold their shape. The magnets are just superglued to the wagon. 

0B5DDFB0-AF6B-4AB7-9273-18371566CC0E.jpeg.41d32b728a25af5f64f8eeab1d5196e3.jpeg

54FB223E-9061-423D-A31F-F38E6C31A5D5.jpeg.82f9f4c7a74a87e5561e3f543a78332d.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, Phil Mc said:

Mine are ready for service.

20210702_155642.jpg.76b9365661ecb9a2fd90053819f9864e.jpg

20210702_155800.jpg.8e9ef91282e4f30ff3fb74d672b731fa.jpg

I'd have gone for the chocks, but I wanted these to match the Warwells I've already done !

Cheers,

Phil.

Always nice to see model Rovers. looking good on the wagons too.

I hope you don’t mind a couple of comments? To make them more military they need a few little tweaks. It would be good to add paper jerry can panniers behind the doors, square rear number plates on the near side rear, split door windows (a black line) and recessed door handles too. (I appreciate that this would not be easy, and would not bother myself.)  The TUAAM boxes on the wings also look a bit undernourished and need black rubber antenna bases.

All best wishes from someone who has had more 110 FFR Landrovers on his flick than soft mick…

Paul

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, exet1095 said:

Always nice to see model Rovers. looking good on the wagons too.

I hope you don’t mind a couple of comments? To make them more military they need a few little tweaks. It would be good to add paper jerry can panniers behind the doors, square rear number plates on the near side rear, split door windows (a black line) and recessed door handles too. (I appreciate that this would not be easy, and would not bother myself.)  The TUAAM boxes on the wings also look a bit undernourished and need black rubber antenna bases.

All best wishes from someone who has had more 110 FFR Landrovers on his flick than soft mick…

Paul

Constructive comment is always welcome. :)

I’m sure I’m not the only one that’s put LandRovers on these wagons !

cheers,

Phil.

• Thanks 1

On 23/06/2021 at 19:37, Trains4U said:

I have a few pre production models to play with.

someone mentioned the Scunthorpe steelworks internal user wagons.

here is my work in progress 

10BD305C-5BEA-469B-9A99-B25575C533C0.jpeg.06f4265c40e1dd419717620936128756.jpeg

If you can just send that my way I'll be more than happy to accept it... lol

13 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

I added some 3mm diameter x 2mm magnets so my vehicles can be removed and I’ll probably make the tie downs out of scrap etch strip pinned into the casting so they are robust enough to hold their shape. The magnets are just superglued to the wagon. 

0B5DDFB0-AF6B-4AB7-9273-18371566CC0E.jpeg.41d32b728a25af5f64f8eeab1d5196e3.jpeg

54FB223E-9061-423D-A31F-F38E6C31A5D5.jpeg.82f9f4c7a74a87e5561e3f543a78332d.jpeg

Paul

I apologise if you've been here before but whose vehicles are these? As in manufacturer? Also are they 72nd or 76th? Thanks

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, gridwatcher said:

Paul

I apologise if you've been here before but whose vehicles are these? As in manufacturer? Also are they 72nd or 76th? Thanks

S&Smodels and there’s a useful topic on the scale discussed about them on his thread here,

I’m happy that they are actually 1/76 from measurements :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 01/07/2021 at 01:03, TRAILRAGE said:

Hello Paul. 

Thank you for that. I hadn't realised that was the case. looks like some research is in need of.

Cheers Trailrage

The Sabre used to be produced by the infamous CMSC range. Sadly these are long gone and are like rocking horse excrement to find on eBay - but thankfully most of the CVR(T) range have been taken on and reproduced by Ian at Friendship Models as part of their “Wee friends” or “Braille Scale” range.

They have I think all of the CVR(T) range including Sabre (including I think the BATUS variants such as Sturgeon and Salamander) in resin / white metal. A little fiddlier to build but *much* more accurate. And the tracks are white metal so will actually close, unlike airfix! 

Most importantly - Ian is very fast and responsive to email questions, and the kits are about £15 per which is similar / slightly cheaper than the horrid plastic kits on eBay. No brainer to me!

I have no connection to them other than being a very satisfied customer - and after receiving these I will likely be ordering even more!

If anyone would like I can post some pictures of the sabre and airfix scimitar later for comparison. 

I can also second recommendations for the S&M models (unfortunate name!!) FV432s and some other of their kits including Sampson, Spartan and Samaritan, but I don’t think their Scimitars are as good as Wee Friends. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2