OO MOD KFA/PFB Warflat - Exclusive to Trains4U

Trains4U

1 hour ago, andypops said:

It could be anything to be honest so long as it’s in gauge!

Warflats - Land Rovers (110 and 90, plus wolf from early 2000s), also Forward Controls in 1990s. Saxons, CVR(T) light tanks in either period. Also FV432s. 

Warwells - warriors (should be on cradles, all in the same direction and with turrets angled a little to the one side to stay in loading gauge), Bedford trucks (with dropped canopies), Saxon / 432 with Peak turrets, or engineering plant - both periods. 

biggest differences I’d suggest is the state and paint of them - 1990s almost everything was green and black, whereas from early 2000s almost everything lost the black (applied at units) and reverted to one-colour green. So that would be my biggest indicator of time period. 

always remember rule 1 though :)

Thanks ever so much.

I have worked out that my Warriors, some Land Rovers and the 101s would be on a 1990s train.

I am now thinking of FV432s and Saxons for my 2000s train.

On 24/07/2021 at 09:51, mevaman1 said:

This is a very cheeky ask.

Can anyone provide details of the loads for Warflats and Warwells for 2 periods - 1990s and 2000s?  I have 2 trains - one which will be RFd hauled and one which will be class 66 hauled.

I have Oxford Land Rovers, Vampire 101s and Easy Model Warriors.  I know that the latter are in 1990s liveries (Iraq War).

I want to add more vehicles and want to be sure that I load them on the correct liveried wagons.

Any help much appreciated.

Andrew

Warriors are Out of Gauge for the Warflat, and need a special Transport cradle to clear the platform edges for the Warwell. These are available from Pete Harvey of PHDesigns. 4mm KWA Warrior AFV Transport Cradle (phd-design-etchings.co.uk). No idea on the Vampire. The landrovers will go on Warflats. You might have issues with the Ratchet strops to secure them scenically.

Ian_B

Edited by Ian_B
PHD webaddress

4 hours ago, Ian_B said:

Warriors are Out of Gauge for the Warflat, and need a special Transport cradle to clear the platform edges for the Warwell. These are available from Pete Harvey of PHDesigns. 4mm KWA Warrior AFV Transport Cradle (phd-design-etchings.co.uk). No idea on the Vampire. The landrovers will go on Warflats. You might have issues with the Ratchet strops to secure them scenically.

Ian_B

Thanks Ian

I have the PHD kits for the cradles for the Warriors.  I am wondering about coloured lining tape for straps.  The only problem with this solution is that there is no representation of the ratchets.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, mevaman1 said:

Thanks Ian

I have the PHD kits for the cradles for the Warriors.  I am wondering about coloured lining tape for straps.  The only problem with this solution is that there is no representation of the ratchets.

I have some of these (yet to use them but they look great).

Andy

EA3FE75C-53BD-4813-BE2D-0A1DDBCD8F6C.png

• Like 1

I have used narrow strips of Tamyia making tape in the past, doing without the ratchet mechanisms. But without the loops representing the lashing points they're difficult to install (especially when my fingers  seem as dextrous as uncooked sausages). I want to lash the loads on my warflats, but with nether lashing points on the vehicles and cosmetic lashing eyes on the warflat, it's not going to be easy. One end can be secured around the axles of light vehicles such as Land rovers, but Tracked vehicles have dedicated eyes front and rear.

Ian_B

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Ian_B said:

I have used narrow strips of Tamyia making tape in the past, doing without the ratchet mechanisms. But without the loops representing the lashing points they're difficult to install (especially when my fingers  seem as dextrous as uncooked sausages). I want to lash the loads on my warflats, but with nether lashing points on the vehicles and cosmetic lashing eyes on the warflat, it's not going to be easy. One end can be secured around the axles of light vehicles such as Land rovers, but Tracked vehicles have dedicated eyes front and rear.

Ian_B

Whatever I use I tempted to glue one end and leave it for a few days to make sure it is secure before I do the other end

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 25/07/2021 at 20:08, Gilbert said:

Whatever I use I tempted to glue one end and leave it for a few days to make sure it is secure before I do the other end

I have bought the Scale Model Scenery ratchets laser cut ties so will report back....eventually..

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Grampus said:

Lovely job. That really lifts the model. Almost a shame to load it up!:jester:

Thank you - appreciated - but building a Series 1 boxed Airfix Scorpion/Scimitar was a real blast of nostalgia! I had a "doh" moment when I had everything ready to load up then realised I needed to weather the **** thing...FWIW the bogies particularly respond well to weathering..

• Like 1

I have loaded mine with Scorpions, and will need one more wagon soon as I've another tank to build. strapping was made from Insulation tape, and needs weathering down, which I'll do when i get round to it. 

they are superb wagons and run lovely. 

here's a short video of mine running.

• Like 9

Have to admit to having bought another wagon myself last weekend when i realised how many vehicles i need to accommodate. I was also accummulating a small stash of Airfix scorpions prior to the pandemic to go with a set of scimitars my  talented younger brother had built and painted for me. I think i remember which box they're in!!!!

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

On 17/08/2021 at 19:41, Dan Griffin said:

here's a short video of mine running.

I note that the train seemed to get shorter as it made it's way around the layout.  It started with a couple of VEA at the back of the train and by the end of the video it had lost not only the two VEA but also two VGA as well.  Just as well you didn't lose the tanks!  I'm glad to hear that they run well.

31 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Too late....

51396262637_c0ba2ff1ce_c.jpg

This picture really shows up a misconception about the wagon colour.

some reviews say that we have replicated a faded green, when the majority of the wagons have always worn NATO green, which is correct and matches the vehicles here.

Some were painted in the darker Bronze green, which many (maybe most) warwells also carried, but it was never very many warflats, and not for very long.

They do look great when loaded up!

Edited by Trains4U
  • Like 2

Chris, You're right - they do look nice with a load, too.  Sounds like a win-win to me!  Must extract a digit and make a start on my second 432 - one on a wagon's okay, but as your picture shows, 2 vehicles looks really purposeful, especially with the chocks and strapping in place. Very tidy.  The understated weathering helps too.

Best wishes,

Paul

Edited by Grampus
  • Like 1