OO MOD KFA/PFB Warflat - Exclusive to Trains4U

Trains4U

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/08/2021 at 12:52, Gilbert said:

Too late....

51396262637_c0ba2ff1ce_c.jpg

That looks really good, but how common is it for these wagons to be loaded up with different vehicle types?  My perception (which could of course be wrong) is that these tend to carry a number of what look like identical vehicles.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dungrange said:

That looks really good, but how common is it for these wagons to be loaded up with different vehicle types?  My perception (which could of course be wrong) is that these tend to carry a number of what look like identical vehicles.

Quite common to see longer trains with a full unit of one type but when I was at Marchwood you also occasionally saw 2-4 warflats with some mixed assortments tagged onto a few vga’s. Usually assorted logistics vehicles rather than Scimitar or FV4xx’s but I guess it could be broken down vehicles heading to the workshops like Ludgershall too in some cases. 

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Dungrange said:

I completely agree but just wanted to model it that way. It will be in use as a single wagon in a layout mainly used as a shunting puzzle with examples of all sorts of rolling stock I remember from my more active spotting days in the 1980s. 

The Scimitar is pure nostalgia - I first built a version of  the kit over 40 years ago...

Chris

• Like 2

I think when whole regiments were moving it was fairly uniform . ( like redmire, wool, havirfirdwest ), but movements to ashcurch and ludgershall were much more varied due to be going for storage ot maintenance .

flickr search for didcot - ludgershall or Eastleigh - ludgershall or didcot - ash church reveals all 

• Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, Dungrange said:

When you move a Regiment by train, you move its vehicles.

An armoured reconnaissance regiment equipped with CVR(T) will have sabre squadrons equipped with Scimitar (12), but also a squadron headquarters with Sultan (x3), a Samson recovery vehicle, a Samaritan ambulance abs possibly a couple of Spartan. They will also have wheeled vehicles, but these often move by road as they are not restricted by track mileage.

Regimental Headquarters will have more Sultans, Spartans, Samsons etc…

Current light cavalry regiments equipped with Jackal are also on the rails at the moment. The QDG has moved from Norfolk to Ludgershall recently. Jackal, Coyote and Panther all on the train. Having driven or commanded these types on long road moves, I can’t say how glad the boys are that they are being spared the drive from Swanton Morley.

Paul

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Finished the final one of these wonderful wagons tonight.

Used a combination of pigments washes and the airbrush.

Next job fitting the loads....

IMG_4434.jpeg

Edited by BigDee
  • Like 14

On 10/09/2021 at 20:24, exet1095 said:

When you move a Regiment by train, you move its vehicles.

An armoured reconnaissance regiment equipped with CVR(T) will have sabre squadrons equipped with Scimitar (12), but also a squadron headquarters with Sultan (x3), a Samson recovery vehicle, a Samaritan ambulance abs possibly a couple of Spartan. They will also have wheeled vehicles, but these often move by road as they are not restricted by track mileage.

Regimental Headquarters will have more Sultans, Spartans, Samsons etc…

Current light cavalry regiments equipped with Jackal are also on the rails at the moment. The QDG has moved from Norfolk to Ludgershall recently. Jackal, Coyote and Panther all on the train. Having driven or commanded these types on long road moves, I can’t say how glad the boys are that they are being spared the drive from Swanton Morley.

Paul

Great gen . I’m surprised at this move as ludgershall looked like it was basically knocked down and turned into houses , or do they use that railhead just in preference to Warminster I wonder ?

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Great gen . I’m surprised at this move as ludgershall looked like it was basically knocked down and turned into houses , or do they use that railhead just in preference to Warminster I wonder ?

I’ve only seen one train in and out at Warminster in the last ten years while Luggy trains are infrequent and seem mostly short but happen several times a year still. All the storage sheds, (south of the road), went at Ludgershall but the workshops and loading bays north of the road are all still there so I guess it’s the main loading point now. Warminster siding is frequently blocked by vehicles parked all over it. 

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

I’ve only seen one train in and out at Warminster in the last ten years while Luggy trains are infrequent and seem mostly short but happen several times a year still. All the storage sheds, (south of the road), went at Ludgershall but the workshops and loading bays north of the road are all still there so I guess it’s the main loading point now. Warminster siding is frequently blocked by vehicles parked all over it. 

Seems to be nothing than a railhead from the air. I think the remaining sheds are derelict ?

3D3406B3-6C8A-43B1-9727-EF02521DBE46.png

11 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Most (but not all) big exercises on the Plain use Westdown Camp and the eastern half of the training area for the initial concentrations. Ludgershall is nearer, and it is also close to Bulford and Tidworth, which is where the armour is based. Warminster has a different role. 

• RMweb Premium
On 17/09/2021 at 18:13, rob D2 said:

Seems to be nothing than a railhead from the air. I think the remaining sheds are derelict ?

3D3406B3-6C8A-43B1-9727-EF02521DBE46.png

all those sheds were the Medical stores and have been demolished for housing in last couple of years. It is just a railhead now.

was told by the man that runs the operation there that all ‘super garrisons’ have to have a railhead and Tidworth is now one of them.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 months later...

Evening all.

Just working through my stash of old JB models kits, looking for alternative loads for the warflats.  I have a couple of 105mm light gun sets, but to my memory, I don't recall ever seeing these wheeled guns on trains - I spent a fair bit of time spotting at Salisbury from 1977 until I moved away in 1992 - nor have I ever seen them in pictures, as far as I can remember.  My assumption is that they might have been moved about in ISO containers, (or perhaps I just wasn't there at the right time) - but does anybody know for sure, please?  TVM.

Best wishes,

Paul

1 hour ago, Grampus said:

Evening all.

Just working through my stash of old JB models kits, looking for alternative loads for the warflats.  I have a couple of 105mm light gun sets, but to my memory, I don't recall ever seeing these wheeled guns on trains - I spent a fair bit of time spotting at Salisbury from 1977 until I moved away in 1992 - nor have I ever seen them in pictures, as far as I can remember.  My assumption is that they might have been moved about in ISO containers, (or perhaps I just wasn't there at the right time) - but does anybody know for sure, please?  TVM.

Best wishes,

Paul

I’ve never seen a gun like that on a modern military train on all the pictures  and articles I’ve seen.

Edited by rob D2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not sure whose photo this is, so linking rather than embedding, some Landrover 101 FCs on Warflats.

https://664305.smushcdn.com/1944490/wp-content/uploads/sites/24/2019/11/Military-Manoeuvres-1024x686.jpg?lossy=1&strip=1&webp=1

Wasn't sure these would be in gauge, but eh, photo tells 1000 words.  These are pretty similar to the current Oxford one, it's marked RAF Leuchars, but it's pretty generic.

Oxford also have the flat green 110 Defender back in stock if anyone's been looking.

Off-topic, but for Warwells, wonder if anyone will do a diecast Bedford MK in flat green / camo, for those of us too lazy to kit build 😛  

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Great photo. Those 101's were used as tractor units for 105mm L118 light guns, and it looks to me like the trail legs of such a gun behond that one. Very unusual though to see them on warflats. It was a while ago though. 

• Like 2

On 24/07/2021 at 11:16, mevaman1 said:

Thanks ever so much.

I have worked out that my Warriors, some Land Rovers and the 101s would be on a 1990s train.

I am now thinking of FV432s and Saxons for my 2000s train.

Don't remember 101 LR being around from mid 90's. Could be earlier

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, iowcr3429 said:

Certainly mid 90's onwards, it was predominantly Land Rover 90/110 and then the Pinzgauer 6x6 came on line.

Oxford Diecast do a Land Rover FC,  in white, in the guise of a 24 Field Ambulance vehicle as deployed to Bosnia so presuming it's an accurate depiction, the Balkans was most likely their last huzzah.

21 hours ago, iowcr3429 said:

When we (266 Battery) got Light Gun vice 25pdr in 1992 the tractors were brand new RB44s, not FC Land Rovers. Later on, after I had transferred away, those less than ideal RB44s were replaced with Pinzgauers.

The last time I saw a Forward Control Rover in service was c1993.

Paul

• Agree 1