OO MOD KFA/PFB Warflat - Exclusive to Trains4U

Trains4U

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, P.C.M said:

Anyone know of another way to get these wagons. I can't seem to order through Trains4u or contact them to find out why. 

Cheers Peter.

Gareth, can you help the far flung members? :)  @Trains4U

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Thanks 1

Hi

we are closed on Mondays, which is why your email hasn’t been answered directly yet.

there are limitations on our online ordering system that restrict non-EU and non UK orders.

we can process your order by phone once we are open tomorrow.

apologies for the inconvenience 

it is on my hit-list of issues to resolve.

• Round of applause 1

In doing research into military loads and the various companies that do 1/76th 3D prints of the variety of British Army 70-90s vehicles it would seem that the light armour Striker/Scorpion/Stormer etc etc is just that, 'light' Most around 10 tons all up fighting weight, so 2  or 3 on a Warflat would seem eminently doable? The biggest issue is gauge clearance. The older Fox armoured cars and Saracen and Saladin etc might creep out of gauge and need to travel on Warwells? Anyone been out with a measuring stick yet??

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, gridwatcher said:

so 2  or 3 on a Warflat would seem eminently doable?

They regularly carry 2 but three won’t fit in the length (let alone allow you to tie them down too) ;) 

D90F57E2-52D0-40D0-B9CC-9DC9B6F9F2B5.jpeg.7b83fa350917ec085fd8a01db6cc78a0.jpeg

• Like 1

An excuse for anyone who runs steam, there is a photograph in Todays railways review of the year volume 1 of an 8F with two loaded  warflats.

it hauled them as a demonstration freight along the 5 mile branch to Honeybourne. 

3 hours ago, Trains4U said:

There are pictures of Fox CVR(w) on Brian Daniels’ site:

Flat PFB MODA xxxxx Didcot

Interesting as that is years after Fox was withdrawn from service, which was in 1994. Saxon was also pretty much OOS by 2011, although I am told there are some still in storage. Perhaps these were being moved from Ludgershall when it closed?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, exet1095 said:

Interesting as that is years after Fox was withdrawn from service, which was in 1994. Saxon was also pretty much OOS by 2011, although I am told there are some still in storage. Perhaps these were being moved from Ludgershall when it closed?

Most of our Saxon got sold to Ukraine quite quickly after withdrawal...several press releases around about it. A very small number did make it to Afghanistan (esp near Kabul) in the early days but didn’t have much use. I think that was their swansong - I can barely recall them from mid 2000s. 

Remember their primary role was to get a large body of troops quickly from U.K. to BAOR in the case of mad antics at the IGB - that’s why so many were in War Maintenance Reserve but also why a lot were issued to TA regiments. Even a lot of the publicity bumf in 1980s-90s used to call them “battlefield taxis”. Although strangely there are hundreds of photos of them on warflats. Perhaps movers just seemed to like booking them, or felt they were a good training opportunity (being quite heavy and close to gauge - would test the people loading them!)

However, the perennial problem - there are very few models of them around in our scale. There’s a white metal kit (BW Models) but they’re rarer than unicorn hair and about 100g each - so too heavy for a rake. Resin ones can be found from some suppliers (perhaps Matador models?) but are pricey. I think I saw on eBay a while ago there was a convincing Saxon model in a close scale that was branded up for the HK Police force - I think they were about £6 per - and could be a cheapish way to get a good number if you don’t mind some repainting. Sadly I can’t find the link now. 

28 minutes ago, exet1095 said:

Also looking at it - are you sure that wasn’t just the date the photo was uploaded to Flickr? I’m sure Fox was loooong gone by then. 

Their dates have caught me out a few times when researching - I saw some BR blue 08s based at Hereford which were apparently from 2015 the other day :lol:

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, andypops said:

Most of our Saxon got sold to Ukraine quite quickly after withdrawal...several press releases around about it. A very small number did make it to Afghanistan (esp near Kabul) in the early days but didn’t have much use. I think that was their swansong - I can barely recall them from mid 2000s. 

Remember their primary role was to get a large body of troops quickly from U.K. to BAOR in the case of mad antics at the IGB - that’s why so many were in War Maintenance Reserve but also why a lot were issued to TA regiments. Even a lot of the publicity bumf in 1980s-90s used to call them “battlefield taxis”. Although strangely there are hundreds of photos of them on warflats. Perhaps movers just seemed to like booking them, or felt they were a good training opportunity (being quite heavy and close to gauge - would test the people loading them!)

However, the perennial problem - there are very few models of them around in our scale. There’s a white metal kit (BW Models) but they’re rarer than unicorn hair and about 100g each - so too heavy for a rake. Resin ones can be found from some suppliers (perhaps Matador models?) but are pricey. I think I saw on eBay a while ago there was a convincing Saxon model in a close scale that was branded up for the HK Police force - I think they were about £6 per - and could be a cheapish way to get a good number if you don’t mind some repainting. Sadly I can’t find the link now. 

I was out in Kabul a few times in 2004 & 2005. Saxons were in use then with the resident Kabul Patrol Company although I think most vehicle mounted patrols were using WMIK. The Saxons were mainly used and very handy for passenger buses between Camp Souter and the Airport.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dan Griffin said:

An excuse for anyone who runs steam, there is a photograph in Todays railways review of the year volume 1 of an 8F with two loaded  warflats.

it hauled them as a demonstration freight along the 5 mile branch to Honeybourne. 

Not these warflats but the Bachmann ones. 

Paul

11 hours ago, andypops said:

Tiny make them diecast in several different liveries. you will have to take the moulded Machine gun off the commanders hatch though.

20 hours ago, Trains4U said:

Hi

we are closed on Mondays, which is why your email hasn’t been answered directly yet.

there are limitations on our online ordering system that restrict non-EU and non UK orders.

we can process your order by phone once we are open tomorrow.

apologies for the inconvenience 

it is on my hit-list of issues to resolve.

No worries Gareth, 

I will try later in the week.

Cheers Peter.

On 12/07/2021 at 20:57, andypops said:

Hi

How about this from Butlers printed models. It comes unpainted. Lovely model that requires a little bit of work and painting. There's a great selection of tracked and wheeled vehicles.

Screenshot_20210713-224102_Photos.jpg

Edited by ayrmrg
  • Like 1

On 14/07/2021 at 17:03, Richard Croft said:

I've added a load more diecast models to my website for people who want to use something thats ready to run, mainly landrovers and small trucks etc. https://www.roads-and-rails.co.uk/collections/1-76-vehicles/military

Here's a video of some on my wagons

Rich that Desert scheme Landy Ambulance looks out of gauge to me?!

• RMweb Gold

Found the original photos of the warflats at Marchwood so here they are even if the originals are a bit poor off an APS camera!

Useful instruction . . . ;) 

005C5B76-E3C2-4F9E-9655-0FB8876CA629.jpeg.6093c61e0d8d34cae49bf124dfb24619.jpeg

3EC29215-C6D8-4559-B943-480B6D0FA98E.jpeg.33974e7575474f4eda4a2ddf55fb240a.jpeg

Total of eight wagons. 

5313A98C-ED0F-4599-9526-9446E15E30F0.jpeg.fa4e3d0d47ec56695a4ccc46364c0399.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Great pictures of the '432s, thank you.  Some really useful detail on there, which will help me with the kit version (S&M models) I am wrangling with at the moment; might be a while till I attempt the second one for a full load, though!   Great Kit but quite fiddly.  Good to see the Trains4u chocks will come in useful, too! 

Thanks again - best wishes,

Paul

20210720_220251.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thanks, Rob. It's a really satisfying build and fits beautifully, if perhaps a bit over-fiddly around the under-gubbins. I have three, though whether i have the patience to build all of them straight off the bat is another issue!

Best wishes,

Paul

This is a very cheeky ask.

Can anyone provide details of the loads for Warflats and Warwells for 2 periods - 1990s and 2000s?  I have 2 trains - one which will be RFd hauled and one which will be class 66 hauled.

I have Oxford Land Rovers, Vampire 101s and Easy Model Warriors.  I know that the latter are in 1990s liveries (Iraq War).

I want to add more vehicles and want to be sure that I load them on the correct liveried wagons.

Any help much appreciated.

Andrew

5 minutes ago, mevaman1 said:

Can anyone provide details of the loads for Warflats and Warwells for 2 periods - 1990s and 2000s?  I have 2 trains - one which will be RFd hauled and one which will be class 66 hauled.

I have Oxford Land Rovers, Vampire 101s and Easy Model Warriors.  I know that the latter are in 1990s liveries (Iraq War).

I want to add more vehicles and want to be sure that I load them on the correct liveried wagons.

Andrew

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/albums/72157627008284776

has a lot of useful images. You'll have to trawl through quite a few photos before arriving at the Warflats and Warwells, but it's worth the effort.

7 minutes ago, mevaman1 said:

Andrew

It could be anything to be honest so long as it’s in gauge!

Warflats - Land Rovers (110 and 90, plus wolf from early 2000s), also Forward Controls in 1990s. Saxons, CVR(T) light tanks in either period. Also FV432s. 

Warwells - warriors (should be on cradles, all in the same direction and with turrets angled a little to the one side to stay in loading gauge), Bedford trucks (with dropped canopies), Saxon / 432 with Peak turrets, or engineering plant - both periods. 

biggest differences I’d suggest is the state and paint of them - 1990s almost everything was green and black, whereas from early 2000s almost everything lost the black (applied at units) and reverted to one-colour green. So that would be my biggest indicator of time period. 

always remember rule 1 though :)

• Informative/Useful 2