OO MOD KFA/PFB Warflat - Exclusive to Trains4U

Trains4U

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, jonhall said:

Those are presumably at Eastleigh having come up from unloading at Wool?

Did you take any photos of the other train with tanks and vans going away? are the vans in use as barriers etween different types of tanker going to Fawley?

My interest has suddenly appeared when I found this photo online of the Dorset coast Speedlink crossing Holes Bay causeway having just passed through Hamworthy with the Furzebrook clay tigers a warwell, and 3 warflats - have I correctly identified the load as Scimitar/Scorpion? and I guess the follow up question - what's the best source of a kit for the those?

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/uploads/7/6/8/3/7683812/poole-causeway-2-a-close-up-of-the-class-47-hauling-two-clay-wagons-and-five-tanks-22nd-may-1989-copyright-roger-winnen_orig.jpg

Thanks

Jon

They look like Fox armoured recon, it’s wheeled not tracked. Yes likely from Wool, the ramp was still there 20 years ago but hadn’t been used in a long time. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jonhall said:

Those are presumably at Eastleigh having come up from unloading at Wool?

Did you take any photos of the other train with tanks and vans going away? are the vans in use as barriers etween different types of tanker going to Fawley?

My interest has suddenly appeared when I found this photo online of the Dorset coast Speedlink crossing Holes Bay causeway having just passed through Hamworthy with the Furzebrook clay tigers a warwell, and 3 warflats - have I correctly identified the load as Scimitar/Scorpion? and I guess the follow up question - what's the best source of a kit for the those?

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/uploads/7/6/8/3/7683812/poole-causeway-2-a-close-up-of-the-class-47-hauling-two-clay-wagons-and-five-tanks-22nd-may-1989-copyright-roger-winnen_orig.jpg

Thanks

Jon

I think those are scout armoured cars with fox turrets like the below.

both  scimitar and scorpion have tracks . Sands models does a range of AFVs, they are fairly basic kits as designed for war gaming but build up nicely and look close enough to me....they may have these, I don’t know 

58D6C8C7-26E2-4B7A-ABB9-3B7A4B35D601.png

Edited by rob D2
Well behind the game there - didn’t notice the extra replies
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

They look like Fox armoured recon, it’s wheeled not tracked. Yes likely from Wool, the ramp was still there 20 years ago but hadn’t been used in a long time. 

There was a resurgence just over 20 years ago. There’s also a picture of 73s on similar .

just such interesting trains amongst many that are not !

DC63E127-8A4B-45A6-87E6-EB20FB24DA00.png

• Like 4

Hi everyone,

I didn’t know much about the military vehicles that were suitable or what was available for loading but following a chat with a few members of DEMU a couple of ranges were suggested and ended up ordering from S and S. Thought I’d better get organised for when the Warflats arrive to go with a couple of Warwells. The S and S models work well for me as they go together quickly and have enough detail with the white metal parts that make them ideal for train loads. I also found Kingfisher miniatures have a good range of transfers suitable for them too. 

Cheers

Mark

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi everyone,

I didn’t know much about the military vehicles that were suitable or what was available for loading but following a chat with a few members of DEMU a couple of ranges were suggested and ended up ordering from S and S. Thought I’d better get organised for when the Warflats arrive to go with a couple of Warwells. The S and S models work well for me as they go together quickly and have enough detail with the white metal parts that make them ideal for train loads. I also found Kingfisher miniatures have a good range of transfers suitable for them too. 

Cheers

Mark

I’ll look them up, I was struggling with that which was why I avoided the samiritan with its large red crosses 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I’ll look them up, I was struggling with that which was why I avoided the samiritan with its large red crosses 

Hi Rob,

I got a Samaritan for one of the Warwells as I found a few photos with them on and seeing I could get the transfers made my mind up that it was doable. (Just need to get them finished) 

Quite agree about the land rovers - plenty of the flats and OCA’s loaded with them would look really good. I’ll have to add an extra couple of Warflats to my order to add them on.

cheers

Mark

• Informative/Useful 1

Hello

The Airfix kits or their JB version  are available on Ebay. Just Google 1/76 military model kits. I bought up quite a collection over the lasr couple of years, in fact too many. I have beem doing the models to go on the Hatton's Warwells of which I have seven and am now waiting for the Warflats to arrive in January. This is for a layout that might never happen in which case they will be going spare. Kits built so far include Stalwart, Saracen, Scimitar, Scorpion, Bedford 4 tonner, Land Rovers (mainly with trailers), 105mm guns, mainly from Airfix. S&S F432, Samaritans and others still to build. The only problem with the latter is there are no instructions which means I don't know where the white metal bits go. I also have various vehicles from Oxford diecast. Ny period is 1989.

Cheers

George 

• Like 3

On 03/12/2020 at 22:07, rob D2 said:

Hi Rob

The s and s models are aimed at wargamers who like quantities of vehicles but are not that fussed about fragile detail. They are ok though, quick to assemble.  The Samaritan is too tall for warflats, usually carried on warwells. 

21 minutes ago, KDG said:

Hi Rob

The s and s models are aimed at wargamers who like quantities of vehicles but are not that fussed about fragile detail. They are ok though, quick to assemble.  The Samaritan is too tall for warflats, usually carried on warwells. 

Yeah I know , I’ve built lots of them - I meant I was avoiding Samaritan as I didn’t want to try and paint the red cross. I’ve gone for one if the command options for my forth coming warwell 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rob D2 said:

Yeah I know , I’ve built lots of them - I meant I was avoiding Samaritan as I didn’t want to try and paint the red cross. I’ve gone for one if the command options for my forth coming warwell 

Cool, good choice, Sultan externally very similar to Samaritan.

• Thanks 1

Hello

You can get the Samaritan transfers from Kingfisher models.

Cheers

c                                                                                   George                        

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I’m guessing the long comms aerials would not be in place for rail movements  ?

I always leave off the GPMGs too

Yes mate, antenna and externally mounred weapons removed for rail transport.

• Informative/Useful 1

42 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

It was explained to me at Redmire during loading that the Samaritan was just the Ambulance version of the Sultan.

Hi Mark, vehicle body same size and shape. Some Sultan have diesel generator mounted on the roof along with the roof rack box and a telescopic demountable aerial on the back.  The Sultans and Samaritan chassis are slighly longer than the Scimitar / Scorpion / Spartan with different spacing on road wheels and longer tracks.

Edited by KDG
Smelling pistake x 2
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, SouthernMafia said:

Perhaps yourselves/Cavalex could think about producing some military vehicles to go with these/Hattons warwells?

Thing is what do you choose? Oxford have an established collectors base too and they tend to choose ones that appeal to the military or Land Rover etc collectors as well to make them profitable.  If you start filling in the modern range the 43x series and Scimitar are the common load on a warflat and they don’t have the decent secondary markets of collectors or enthusiasts like a Sherman or Churchill that sell around £14. You’d have to expect lower sales and therefore a higher price. Would you pay £20 + per vehicle and £40 plus on top of the wagon? That’s the problem with the humdrum modern loads ;) That’s why I went with S&S kits because they are comparable in price to Oxford vehicles and quick n easy to build and paint. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

• 4 weeks later...

As I'm currently scanning some of my pics, thought this was worth a share - Warflats didn't just carry vehicles. MODA95290 at Didcot Yard in 2001/02 with one half of a close support bridge, there were several of these in the train. Warflat on the right still has green jacks and bufferbeams not yellow, while others in the train were still in 1980s washed out khaki and clearly showing where the TOPS code had been changed.

MODA95290 Didcot.jpg

Edited by Simon Bendall
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

On 04/12/2020 at 09:44, Trains4U said:

The thing that is really hard to get hold of is a decent Land Rover Wolf TUL/TUM (Come on Oxford!) 

I've had a few models from Elhiem who make wargaming vehicles. The scale is 1/72 but as they are 3d printed they can do them in different scales and have a range of landrovers and other exotics. Some have metal wheels which might not be suitable for rescaling but a loot are just 3d prints.

https://www.elhiem.co.uk/ourshop/prod_6970467-VBA11-WOLF-LR-110-latest-version-of-the-Medium-Utility-Truck.html

My current work in progress is PSNI landrovers

136146439_246169850463575_713219925700499357_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, icphotos said:

I've had a few models from Elhiem who make wargaming vehicles. The scale is 1/72 but as they are 3d printed they can do them in different scales and have a range of landrovers and other exotics. Some have metal wheels which might not be suitable for rescaling but a loot are just 3d prints.

https://www.elhiem.co.uk/ourshop/prod_6970467-VBA11-WOLF-LR-110-latest-version-of-the-Medium-Utility-Truck.html

My current work in progress is PSNI landrovers

136146439_246169850463575_713219925700499357_n.jpg

Thanks for the link, I think I’ll be having a couple of those Snatch Landrovers.