3d printed buildings

Quick question if any of you knowledgeable folk know what colours this Box would have been in lbscr times, the weatherboarding im guessing a pale cream, the frame and roof supports a dark red, windows a white, but what would the stairs have been? Red, or the pale cream? Or even white perhaps? Im searching online now and struggling to find any solid examples.

Cheers

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Rob,

Yes all those colours are right, when I did the signal box for Oak Hill I painted the steps white, I remember there being a reason I chose white, but I can't remember why, or find my evidence. So feel free to ignore that advice.

Gary

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

Rob,

Yes all those colours are right, when I did the signal box for Oak Hill I painted the steps white, I remember there being a reason I chose white, but I can't remember why, or find my evidence. So feel free to ignore that advice.

Gary

Cheers Gary much appreciated

• Like 1

On 30/07/2021 at 22:09, woko said:

Quick question if any of you knowledgeable folk know what colours this Box would have been in LBSCR times, the weatherboarding I'm guessing a pale cream, the frame and roof supports a dark red, windows a white, but what would the stairs have been? Red, or the pale cream? Or even white perhaps? I'm searching online now and struggling to find any solid examples.

Cheers

Rob

Looking through the various books of Edward Wallis's photos, taken from around 1922 - 1925, so showing late LBSCR practice, your basic colour scheme is correct.  Southern Style 2 calls the main colours Maroon and Off-White, but I think there is room for interpretation between that and your choices, although I perhaps would go for a light stone for the paler colour. White for the glazing bars, certainly.

However, I think the stairs are open season.  There are examples, thanks to Wallis, of all over red and all over light colour, with plenty of variations in between.  Commonly, the upright posts and the handrails themselves would be red, and the diagonal bracing on the platforms cream. The stringers are roughly 50-50 red or cream, and I haven't seen any suggestion of white. Perhaps the final colour scheme was at the whim of the painters, or the direction of the signalmen, or just the painters using whatever paint was left over from painting the main box structure. A view of Crawley box in Middleton's Crawley to Littlehampton seems to suggest the stringers and the intermediate upright on the steps were in cream, as was the diagonal bracing, whilst the single handrail and the main uprights were red.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

Looking through the various books of Edward Wallis's photos, taken from around 1922 - 1925, so showing late LBSCR practice, your basic colour scheme is correct.  Southern Style 2 calls the main colours Maroon and Off-White, but I think there is room for interpretation between that and your choices, although I perhaps would go for a light stone for the paler colour. White for the glazing bars, certainly.

However, I think the stairs are open season.  There are examples, thanks to Wallis, of all over red and all over light colour, with plenty of variations in between.  Commonly, the upright posts and the handrails themselves would be red, and the diagonal bracing on the platforms cream. The stringers are roughly 50-50 red or cream, and I haven't seen any suggestion of white. Perhaps the final colour scheme was at the whim of the painters, or the direction of the signalmen, or just the painters using whatever paint was left over from painting the main box structure. A view of Crawley box in Middleton's Crawley to Littlehampton seems to suggest the stringers and the intermediate upright on the steps were in cream, as was the diagonal bracing, whilst the single handrail and the main uprights were red.

Thank you Nick as always very helpful, and knowledgeable, and gives me a great head start on my painting of this little box, I will post when I have finished the paint job, I then have to make a slightly longer version for the club layout so can iron out any issues with the second printing all being well, and subject to hopefully getting my fdm printer back online

• 3 weeks later...

Painted test version of the London Brighton 7mm Signal Box, I think for the club layout I will resin print the lower windows omitting them from the FDM print to get a cleaner crisper print.

I also need to sort out the glazing for the club version

I need to model the interior next and the larger version for the club layout

IMG_2372.JPG.322de784becb38ee2022e448b021c01e.JPGIMG_2377.JPG.8c1405ab8be2b88f54bd2e4f13653c37.JPGIMG_2382.JPG.c7c688bac04b78e6a2f0032eba501f0d.JPGIMG_2380.JPG.675d4499cd2c417020eab1a1ce4d1678.JPG

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

• 5 months later...

Working up some additional retaining walls for the Clubs layout, including a fillet section for hiding the joins between the sections! Once I have a clean print we are hoping to look into casting these as we want a fair few sections probably 40-50 and at over a day and a half to print for each section it is going to take a while, not to mention a lot of filament! Wall_section.jpg.4673ad276e3063ef7bf4d047bd62944f.jpg

• Like 4

Well, if you're going to do castings, I can think of at least one person who is needing to produce about 2 metres of retaining wall, who would love to buy the moulds once you're done with them! They look fantastic, and it's great to see retaining walls that aren't in stretcher bond! Your brickwork looks really lovely here. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Not strictly model railway focused but im also working on some 28mm bolt action wargaming buildings, mostly inspired by Sainte Mere Eglise in France

Here is the street I have modelled up so far, need to finish the church, and a few more buildings and walls before i get making this Diorama

Buildings.jpg

Sheeled_buildings.jpg

STREET.jpg

IMG_2338.JPG

IMG_2337.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6