Another DJLC layout

Ian Morgan

• RMweb Premium

Finally made a start on a possible Diamond Jubilee Layout Challenge (DJLC) entry I have been contemplating for a while.

Today, I assembled the Tim Horn baseboard kit. The pencil line shows where the backscene will go, to keep the scenic area within the defined limits of 60cm x 9.42inches.

Can you tell what it is yet?

DJLC_baseboard.jpg.0a8944b5dbb98cb17580030bead9d723.jpg

Edited by Ian Morgan
re-loaded image
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My plan for the layout requires a feindishly tight single slip that Templot would not let me draw, so I need to build this first and see if it can be made to work. Otherwise I will have to have a rethink. The real location could only be operated by SECR 'P' class steam locomotives, and Class 03 diesels, so that could be a clue as to what I want to build.

This weekend I have made a start on it, and an attached point, laying the PCB sleepers and all the stock rails and Vees. Next job is to add all the fiddly little short lengths of rail that are so important.

If I can get it working, I will start posting some photos. If not, it will quietly head for the bin.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Ian Morgan said:

My plan for the layout requires a feindishly tight single slip that Templot would not let me draw, so I need to build this first and see if it can be made to work. Otherwise I will have to have a rethink. The real location could only be operated by SECR 'P' class steam locomotives, and Class 03 diesels, so that could be a clue as to what I want to build.

This weekend I have made a start on it, and an attached point, laying the PCB sleepers and all the stock rails and Vees. Next job is to add all the fiddly little short lengths of rail that are so important.

If I can get it working, I will start posting some photos. If not, it will quietly head for the bin.

An inside slip or an outside slip?

Might be possible to take an industrially produced slip and copy geometry from that.

• RMweb Premium

It is an inside slip, but to fit the challenge size limits, I am pushing to about 9 inch radius, with one of the normally straight routes also being a 9 inch radius curve the other way. Ambitious? Maybe.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Morgan said:

It is an inside slip, but to fit the challenge size limits, I am pushing to about 9 inch radius, with one of the normally straight routes also being a 9 inch radius curve the other way. Ambitious? Maybe.

That sounds very interesting. I have made simple turnouts at 12” rad to see what could be ‘persuaded’ to go through them without issue so I look forward to seeing how you get on. I am sure I have read that the dock bits on John Greenwood’s Wadebridge are down to around 8” so it all seems quite feasible.

Izzy

• RMweb Gold

I believe John's used 12" radius on Wadebridge Quay.  David Mallott definitely used 12" as a minimum on Chapel Wharf.  It's not just the how the stock will traverse the curves, it's also how reliable are the couplings on the tight radii. DGs are happy enough on 12" radius.

On one of my narrow gauge projects, I have some Rokhan 95mm radius curves and found that the loop of the modified DGs I use had to be widened to allow for the additional sideways swing.

Mark

DSC01885.JPG

DSC01884.JPG

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

The real location could only be operated by SECR 'P' class steam locomotives, and Class 03 diesels, so that could be a clue as to what I want to build.

Ian,

Would this layout be based on Kingston Wharf at Shoreham?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31890193@N08/11384237025

http://www.brightonlocoworks.co.uk/kingston-wharf.php

Look forward to seeing how the slip develops.

David

• RMweb Premium

Well done David, got it in one.

So, here is the Templot for the layout. The single slip (to be added freehand) will complete a run-round loop at the bottom. I also could not get Templot to make the other crossing where the link to the main line will pass under the road bridge on the backscene, so I will have to wing it there too. I am hoping a Terrier and two wagons will fit the various headshunts.

If all goes well for the DJLC, I can extend both left and right at a later date.

kingston_wharf_templot.jpg.d77309490c5ddb9127578c7cb838f05b.jpg

Here is the part of the real thing I was trying to reproduce. The DJLC size limit meant I could only do a representation of part of the real place.

kingston_wharf_DJLC_map.jpg.5d10f1866bddf6a87c8913e9a3942111.jpg

Edited by Ian Morgan
re-loaded images
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Some of the curves on the quay at Wadebridge go down to about 8.5 inches. The couplings still work though not as reliably as on more gentle curves.

John revels in barking mad trackwork, this is Woodgreen quay, his DJLC entry.

IMG-20190427-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20190427-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20190427-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20190427-WA0008.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 10/06/2019 at 11:31, Ian Morgan said:

4 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

am hoping a Terrier and two wagons will fit the various headshunts.

Ian, 

In case it doesn't work out, could you perhaps extend the headshunts a little outside the scenic area?

This would give some space to ease the curves and still run a Terrier with two wagons.

Jan

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, queensquare said:

Some of the curves on the quay at Wadebridge go down to about 8.5 inches. The couplings still work though not as reliably as on more gentle curves.

IMG-20190427-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20190427-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20190427-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20190427-WA0008.jpg

Given the quality of this I may well retire from the DJLC  ( wish i could actually retire )

Nick

• Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, Jan W said:

Ian, 

In case it doesn't work out, could you perhaps extend the headshunts a little outside the scenic area?

This would give some space to ease the curves and still run a Terrier with two wagons.

Jan

If it is to be an accurate representation of Kingston Wharf, a Terrier is no good to you because it is too big! That was why a P, which is even smaller than a Terrier, was used. Before the Southern Railway rebuilt the access, locomotives weren't used at all, it was all horse worked.

• RMweb Premium

I already have two Terriers that I use on Freshwater. I am building a G6 as practice for the O2 that I really need for Freshwater. A 'P' is a long way down my list, so a Terrier it will be (plus Dave Stratton's 03 maybe).

Anyway, making progress on the single slip. I am taking my time and only doing a little bit at a time, trying to avoid a tendency to rush and mess things up. I have done the easy bits. I will need the pointy bit on my soldering iron for the next bits.

Kingston_single_slip_00.jpg.4de6c298bbcd9ec267d7baea41c6bfee.jpg

Edited by Ian Morgan
re-loaded image
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium

A few more bits of rail added, and so far, so good. I may have to rearrange some sleepers to put in droppers to the tiebar underneath though.

Kingston_single_slip_02.jpg.d5826941c43db589edf2d99ab7623e29.jpg

Edited by Ian Morgan
re-loaded image
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 11/06/2019 at 17:53, queensquare said:

:O Struth :O Makes my single turnout layout look pretty dull :laugh:

Nice project Ian...

Edited by bcnPete

16 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

A few more bits of rail added, and so far, so good. I may have to rearrange some sleepers to put in droppers to the tiebar underneath though.

Could I suggest you do away with both the sleeper that links the two tracks at the top of the picture and the long sleeper next to it and replace them with two ordinary sleepers, one on each track, slewed slightly to even up the gaps between chairs.  tandem turnouts on interlaced sleepers had some quite long gaps between some sleepers and this wasn't an issue where both axle loads and speeds were low.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

More bits of rail added, and wagons can negotiate through the two crossing tracks OK. The slip road still needs some check rails though.

I an concerned about the lower blades of the slip though. One is also acting as a check rail, and is very short, only being soldered to a single sleeper. I may need to change it for a pivot pin so it acts more like a gate.

I will persevere, and see how a loco copes before deciding to scrap it.

If all else fails, I can replace it with a Y point and lose a siding. It would still be close to the original track plan, if not closer.

kingston_slip.jpg.ebbccd18e1d1dc18436f0b285b769002.jpg

Edited by Ian Morgan
re-loaded image
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I would say that switch definitely needs to be pivoted.  You could make it a loose heel one by forming a 'fishplate' from copper or brass shim as I did with all my switches on Kirkallanmuir (in order to be prototypical for the period).  I wouldn't trust the soldered joint to survive long given the amount of twist it is going to get from such a short switch.

With the toes of the two switches being in different sleeper gaps, how do you propose to get them operating in tandem?

Jim

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

With the toes of the two switches being in different sleeper gaps, how do you propose to get them operating in tandem?

Ahh, with dropper wires to an under baseboard tiebar, the droppers will be in line ^_^