Abbeyfield BR(NER) 1948-1956

nerron

I have been working on this layout for some time,but progress is interupted by my penchant for loco and rolling stock construction.In any event its time is limited as it will at some time in the not too distant future hopefully be replaced by a layout based on Manors and Trafalgar yard.post-3663-127277656751_thumb.jpgpost-3663-127277602558_thumb.jpgpost-3663-127277628585_thumb.jpg

Ron Reilly.

• 1 month later...

A short video showing just completed, but yet to be painted, J25 from an Alexander kit completing a cicuit of the layout and passing unfinished D20,J21 and 108 DMU in the bay platform.The loco is powered by a Mashima 1224 motor driving through a Comet 2-stage 38:1 gearbox. Current collection is arranged on the "American" system with the loco insulated from its tender. As you can see there is much scenic work still to be done,but it tends to play second fiddle to my penchant for loco and rolling stock construction.

Guest Max Stafford

Looking very good Ron. Lots of lovely and individual rolling stock there too!

Dave.

Hi Ron,

from fellow BRMA member, Like the layout. Photos and video are good. Is the backscene the Gaugemaster product? They certainly are an improvement on the Peco printed sheets I have.

I model LNER/North eastern region too. Will be doing a branchline off main board called 'Ponteland.'

Mark

Neat video, interesting layout and good to see those kitbuilt locos, something we don't see much of over here nowadays. The NER coach looks interesting too. A North Eastern Design kit from John Fozard? Any chance of a close up of this coach?

Larry G.

Neat video, interesting layout and good to see those kitbuilt locos, something we don't see much of over here nowadays. The NER coach looks interesting too. A North Eastern Design kit from John Fozard? Any chance of a close up of this coach?

The coach is an ex-NER Brake third from a D&S kit.I'll post some photos soon.The other three are Thompsons from Comet kits.

That backscene is really special, I didn't spot a join when watching the video, any chance of some details?

It's from International Models the details of which can be found at:

http://www.internationalmodels.net/acatalog/Main_Catalogue_Index_Backscenes_45.html

Pleased you enjoyed the video as it was rather a rushed job.

I used that same series of backscenes on my previous layout and can sware to their fantastickness.smile.gif

Yes, the same backscene that has been used from Torrington to Kyle and many points in between, and seems to fit in wherever it appears, unlike the Peco one which, dare I say, did absolutely b****r all to set a scene; still different days then. This layout is looking good, and speaking from experience, a good background boosts the modelling soul.

Please keep us posted on this one.

Richard

This layout is looking good, and speaking from experience, a good background boosts the modelling soul.

Thanks Richard I couldn't agree more about the effect of a convincing backscene.I have also very much enjoyed following progress on your layout.

• RMweb Premium

I have been working on this layout for some time,but progress is interupted by my penchant for loco and rolling stock construction.In any event its time is limited as it will at some time in the not too distant future hopefully be replaced by a layout based on Manors and Trafalgar yard.post-3663-127277656751_thumb.jpgpost-3663-127277602558_thumb.jpgpost-3663-127277628585_thumb.jpg

Ron Reilly.

Great looking layout Ron; lovely coaches/wagons.

I've got an EM representation of Trafalgar Yard. It's a bit tired and I can't take the credit for the original build, but it's what I play with and it's what I should be modifying instead of spending ages on this site! If it's of any use I'll try and sort some pics for you and I've got some nice pics of the ES1 that you can find on a Shildon posting I made (e.gs attached). Also got lots of prototype info but I'm sure you already have that.

Sincerely, Phil @36E

post-2326-127576801352_thumb.jpg

post-2326-127576802692_thumb.jpg

Great looking layout Ron; lovely coaches/wagons.

I've got an EM representation of Trafalgar Yard. It's a bit tired and I can't take the credit for the original build, but it's what I play with and it's what I should be modifying instead of spending ages on this site! If it's of any use I'll try and sort some pics for you and I've got some nice pics of the ES1 that you can find on a Shildon posting I made (e.gs attached). Also got lots of prototype info but I'm sure you already have that.

Sincerely, Phil @36E

Thanks Phil, I would be most interested to see pics of Trafalgar Yard.The start on my interpretation, which will include Quayside, is contingent upon a house move,hopefully in the next year or so!I do have a great deal of information largely thanks to Malcolm from the LNER Encyclopaedia site.As you can see from my avatar I have made a start with the Judith Edge kit of ES1.

Ron.

The NER coach looks interesting too. A North Eastern Design kit from John Fozard? Any chance of a close up of this coach?

Larry,here are two pics of the ex-NER coach.I'll post another sharper pic when it is painted.

post-3663-127578770066_thumb.jpg

post-3663-127578773289_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What a lovely layout, NER 1948-1956, right up my street :D

Looks beautiful so far, I have just added the same sort of backdrops too mine, definite improvement over the last ones I had (Peco) Like the look of the Dave Alexander J21 in the video, I'm thinking of getting one and building it at somepoint (first kit).

Keep us posted, looking superb!

Best Wishes

Tom

Thanks Doug,Tom and Kris for your comments.Doug I am looking forward to seeing you in Melbourne.Tom I can recommend any of Dave Alexander's kits having built most of them.The Loco in the video is a J25 which is not shown on his web site.I am just completing the Tyneside Parcels Van for the next layout which will be based on Manors,Trafalgar Yard and Quayside.

post-3663-060756600 1284709920_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Archived