Coal hoppers on Cornish lines

Siphon208

16T minerals on the main line - yes.

Only the other day I found a picture online of a St Bz > Truro freight at Par. Class 45 three 16T and a brake van - ideal small train!

MGR hoppers no.

Edited by LBRJ
  • Like 2

There is a good photo in John Vaughan's "Diesels in the Duchy" book of a Class 25 (either 048 or 054) on a train of 16t and 21t mineral wagons with 20t brake van west of Truro in late 1970's (1978 I think) - another good modellers train! 

I don't recall having seen any coal hoppers in photos in Cornwall apart from the HEA's used to Drinnick Mill in the mid-1980's although I understand that a couple of HAA's (i.e. MGR hoppers) were used as a trial for carrying clay before BR ordered the CDA's.

There are some useful photos of typical trains on the Cornwall Railway Society website if you review the Cornwall Galleries section.

Jeremy

• Agree 3

On 02/06/2019 at 19:32, jbg said:

There is a good photo in John Vaughan's "Diesels in the Duchy" book of a Class 25 (either 048 or 054) on a train of 16t and 21t mineral wagons with 20t brake van west of Truro in late 1970's (1978 I think) - another good modellers train! 

I don't recall having seen any coal hoppers in photos in Cornwall apart from the HEA's used to Drinnick Mill in the mid-1980's although I understand that a couple of HAA's (i.e. MGR hoppers) were used as a trial for carrying clay before BR ordered the CDA's.

There are some useful photos of typical trains on the Cornwall Railway Society website if you review the Cornwall Galleries section.

Jeremy

Some HAAs were converted to CDAs as well.

No HAAs used as you needed the 'daleks' to unload them.

1 hour ago, royaloak said:

Some HAAs were converted to CDAs as well.

No HAAs used as you needed the 'daleks' to unload them.

You don't need Daleks to drop the doors just a brake stick and if non to close them a silvester ( pull lit ) will do!

Mark Saunders

24 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

You don't need Daleks to drop the doors just a brake stick and if non to close them a silvester ( pull lit ) will do!

Any chance of a translation for the uninitiated please?

52 minutes ago, spikey said:

Any chance of a translation for the uninitiated please?

Not sure which bits need explaining?

Watch the youtube video of it done automatically using the Daleks (lineside equipment to open and close doors)

Door catches can be removed manually with a brake stick and doors opened with such!

A pull lift a chain with a hook on one end to secure on the wagon and with a ratchet mechanism to shorten the chain and lift the door handle, when closed manually close the catches. 

• Like 1

There were some 21t coal hoppers that made it to Cornwall. I recall seeing several pictures as they are a wagon type that I particularly like.

There is a colour picture in John Vaughans'  'Cornish Railways' that shows a short class 25 hauled freight for Wadebridge at Bodmin Road with two of these wagons in the consist.

18 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Door catches can be removed manually with a brake stick and doors opened with such! ... A pull lift a chain with a hook on one end to secure on the wagon and with a ratchet mechanism to shorten the chain and lift the door handle, when closed manually close the catches. 

I'm afraid I can't follow that, but it's not important.  Thank you for posting the link though.