RevolutioN announce OO Gauge IPA Wagons

sc2016

http://www.revolutiontrains.com/car-carriers-to-get-blown-up/

Information from Above Link:

Revolution Trains is unveiling plans to offer their IPA car carriers in 00 gauge, 4mm scale at this weekend’s DEMU Showcase in Swadlincote.

image.png.ef84f6f472a9fe2ed9a53efdeccb46e0.png

Photo courtesy Jonathan Lewis

It follows repeated requests from 00 modellers asking us to upscale our forthcoming N-gauge model of these vehicles which is now in tooling.

Revolution is offering all three variants of these versatile wagons – flat twins, flat twins with side stakes and covered quads.

image.png.6558c40b810e18ff4515de08a9c26288.png

image.png.ffe612a3e1c2bd914990736a389cfb0f.png

image.png.cf405fe1ec9e1d563c3e4c88fb6fe5cf.png

The prototype wagons were originally constructed as twin deck single wagons in the 1950s and 1960s, however when a need was identified in the 1990s for suitable vehicles for Channel Tunnel auto traffic, hundreds were converted into twin sets and rebodied to suit the British loading gauge.

They’re still widely used across the UK linking the sea ports with car factories and terminals for both import and export traffic.

image.png.7a8e9cbf35a4dd6811c9cb3051b3eaf1.png

The models will be to our usual high standards and feature high levels of added detail, NEM coupler sockets and be weighted to as close to NMRA standards as possible.

Once we have finalised pricing we will open the order book; the sooner we receive orders the sooner we can complete the CAD and get these models into tooling and then production.  As ever, we will only produce models if enough orders are received by the deadline.

Edited by sc2016
Added More Detail
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Congratulations to Ben A and RevolutioN Trains on this announcement.

The vehicles were part of an expanded list of items that voters will find in the 'modern era' category of The Wishlist Poll 2019, but Ben has beaten us to it!

We wish you all the best with the project!

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Wishlist Poll Team)

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Thanks for the kind comments so far.  We have received lots of requests for these from 4mm modellers, after announcing them in N, so if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 4

Hi Ben & Mike,

I had seen this news over on DEMU, absolutely delighted that you are doing these in 4mm (sorry I know I’ve nagged you both for these lol!) 

I regularly saw the southbound working from Mossend around Beattock in 2012 whilst driving North. These will make into a very long train with the 6 twin packs from Bachmann I already have. It was a solid 92 working back then perfect for Accurascales 92 to haul. Usually either grey with Beastie stickers or DB red. On one occasion it was double headed by a pair of 92’s and I even saw it with one of the Royal 67’s tucked in behind a 92, plenty of variety.

Will just need to build a big enough layout now.

all the best

Mark

• Like 3

Most awesome of an announcement. I have come late to the realisation that these operate regularly around the Southampton/Eastleigh area (I've only ever had an eye for intermodal and the CruiseSaver Express!). 

There was an excellent guide and history given for the N gauge one, found here: http://www.revolutiontrains.com/what-car-carrier/ 

IPA-sample-consists.jpg

Only thing is, I know utterly noting about cars! I don't own one, nor do I know many people with one. I have briefly considered buying an electric BMW i3 until I remembered I much prefer the GWR Pullman to/from the Westcountry (notwithstanding the i3 does not have the range to get me there)! From the guide, I understand that the Southampton-Garston (Ford) and Southampton-Halewood (Jaguar Land Rover) are the two regular flows. With someone over in the N gauge thread mentioning Peugeot? So, what sort of Oxford Diecast cars should I order? A Transit or Focus or Range Rover. I'll be modelling Southampton area 2006-present. Perhaps easier to say a batch of cars from 2008 and 2018 as I know they change style far more often than a locomotive! 

Plus, I do not understand the 2017 6X77 Southampton-Garston with a class 92. That class is not authorised on the 3rd rail down to Southampton, certainly I have never seen a class 92 there. Does DB hire in GBRf traction, or does GBRf run a specific service for STVA? 

And forgive me for one more question, I thought DB ran a BMW Mini service from Oxfordshire to somewhere (I am assuming Southampton)? I remember Hans-Georg clearly telling me this, but as it was not intermodal. I did not save it to my memory. 

Edited by 159220
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, 159220 said:

And forgive me for one more question, I thought DB ran a BMW Mini service from Oxfordshire to somewhere (I am assuming Southampton)? I remember Hans-Georg clearly telling me this, but as it was not intermodal. I did not save it to my memory. 

The BMW Minis are in the Arbel WIA covered double deckers.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, 159220 said:

Most awesome of an announcement. I have come late to the realisation that these operate regularly around the Southampton/Eastleigh area (I've only ever had an eye for intermodal and the CruiseSaver Express!). 

<snipped>

Plus, I do not understand the 2017 6X77 Southampton-Garston with a class 92. That class is not authorised on the 3rd rail down to Southampton, certainly I have never seen a class 92 there. Does DB hire in GBRf traction, or does GBRf run a specific service for STVA? 

Hi there,

Thanks!

I will double check the listing for 6X77.  I am pretty sure it woujldn't have been a 92 all the way from Southampton - maybe a loco change at Crewe, or I just mistyped the origin.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

Thanks @Mike Harvey for your information. I'll get myself some X-Types and Range Rover Evoques, plus I would imagine for the Garston run...Transit vans? 

As for the BMW Mini, I did not realised that was what was inside those wagons. Ive seen them causing chaos down in Ocean Village as they just went at a snails pace into the docks by the old Cunard hotel. These must be the wagons in question when Hans-Georg stated the 'new mini' shall not fit in the wagon. I see why now, they seem rather restrictive! 

Garston is just a dock rather than any assembly plant? Seems odd why cars arrive at Dagenham docks and then are trained over to Garston dock. Anyway, I don't model the WCML so I won't worry! 

Great to see a company listen to what modellers want. Myself being one of the modellers who wanted these in OO gauge since the announcement in N gauge. Looking forward to these and to what the future may bring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Liam1987 said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean when you say ‘the trains turn at Crewe’

Cheers,

Liam

The train takes a route through Crewe which means that what was the front before Crewe is at the back after Crewe. A loco change or run round would be necessary. This is normal practice with car trains so that the vehicles can be loaded forwards at the originating point, and driven off forwards at destination. It depends which way round the terminal connections are in relation to the running direction of the train.

The Royal Portbury Dock (Bristol) to Mossend used to go via Newport AD Junction yard, it was to long for the loop at AD so would be drawn right forward onto the mainline so another loco could attach to the rear go drag it back via Courtybella Curve.

X-Ray headcode as it had a number of special speed and route restrictions on the two routes it could take going north from South Wales.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Apologies if it's already been said, but are you planning on doing the earlier grey STVA livery? I always wanted some Bachmann IPAs but they've never done the earlier STVA grey, and I model early 2000's. Will definitely order some if you do!

Dave.

I was going to ask the same question.  I assume since the STVA grey versions are being produced in N gauge, that the same liveries and running numbers are likely to be produced in 00.  From the above train formations, it certainly looks like anything goes on most flows, so a good mix will suit any fictional train.

• RMweb Premium

This is awesome news lads! The single deck screened versions will be perfect fodder for my Didcot layout and if ever you did do the Arbels too then I may as well just extend the mortgage..! :lol:

For the question on the cars themselves, there’s very little available and hardly any 2000+ Ford cars available, plenty of JLR bits as Oxford Diecast seem to have some kind of special deal going there! Cararama’s models are good though for the late 90s layouts, some good ones in there ripe for train projects.

I’m a bit of a car nerd but I like seeing car train loads tackled properly - I’ve rarely seen it tackled in model form but when modelling new cars on trains they need to be in pre-delivery condition, so you need to customise what you can buy from Oxford rather than just slapping them on the train! Numberplates need removing, cars with steel wheels generally have the silver plastic hubcaps stored inside the vehicle, papers & docs inside the car/dashboard, there’s all sorts of bar codes stickers stuck over the windows and some of the fancier marques (ie JLR/VAG etc) have protective plastic sheeting applied over vulnerable body panels - now that would make a fun model! 

Plus you get the classic fun stories of where the odd bootlid has come undone and subsequently hit something en-route, again an interesting project!!

Cheers,

James

• Agree 1

finn.gif.f39f2719313670ae932a0b4cac60fc9d.gif

Getting a lot of use out of Finn this month!

This is brilliant news, as one of the people requesting a 4mm version, all I can say is: thank you RevolutioN!!!

A great wagon to add some out-of-the-ordinary variety to the modern freight flows of containers and bogie box wagons, I really hope it does well (especially well enough that someone considers doing the WIA’s too).

I don’t think my wallet it too happy about the prospect of all these amazing new releases tho!

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 15:05, 159220 said:

Thanks @Mike Harvey for your information. I'll get myself some X-Types and Range Rover Evoques, plus I would imagine for the Garston run...Transit vans? 

As for the BMW Mini, I did not realised that was what was inside those wagons. Ive seen them causing chaos down in Ocean Village as they just went at a snails pace into the docks by the old Cunard hotel. These must be the wagons in question when Hans-Georg stated the 'new mini' shall not fit in the wagon. I see why now, they seem rather restrictive! 

Garston is just a dock rather than any assembly plant? Seems odd why cars arrive at Dagenham docks and then are trained over to Garston dock. Anyway, I don't model the WCML so I won't worry! 

I'm not sure you would see X-types mixed with Evoques. First gen Evoques were launched 2011 by which time the X-type had been phased out (2009).   Jag's range when the Evoque was in production would consist of the XF (2007 ->) which was facelifted in 2012.  Oxford do a model of post facelift cars suitable for 2012 to ~2017.  Oxford also produce the XJ new shape which must have been launched circa 2010/1, plus the XK which had been around for a few years by this stage.  They also produce F-paces and F-types which were launched a few years later.

Sorry bit of a Jag fan although not sure i'll be buying another as they are becoming a bit generic like everyone else's cars now.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Moorseby: No, not yet.  We will open the order book once we have been able to confirm products and prices.

Jools1959:  Yes, as usual we will expect to offer different numbersets for each livery variation.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1