RevolutioN announce OO Gauge IPA Wagons

sc2016

Don't know how I missed this at DEMU! Definatley of interest to me, credit card will get a bashing I think!

As some additional info if a full rake isn't feasable, they could be found on the Enterprise workings out of Southampton to Scotland. They were workings that were of interest to me before they ceased, as they could vary in length and type of wagon. This info is applicable for the mid-2010's.

The wagons, amongst others such as double deck types, would be used for moving imported Renault vans and cars from Southampton Western Docks. The working ran as 6X44 to Eastleigh Yard, and normally had intermodal flats as well. For a short time, HEA's loaded with dredged pea shingle were in the mix too. The trip workings from Fawley Refinery and Marchwood MOD (if either ran) would be added on, and the whole lot went forward as 6X38 to Didcot. From Didcot, it went forward as 6X65 to Mossend via Warrington and Carlisle. I think Warrington is where an electric loco would be attached. The workings seemed to run as an 'X' if the car wagons were loaded, though didn't always happen. Otherwise the workings were 6B44, 6V38 and 6M65.

Normally a DB Class 66 was used, however it wasn't unknown to find a Class 60 on the trip workings. This was during the time when DB had based one at Eastleigh to be used as a 'Super Shunter'. Class 67's may have been used as well, can't say I saw any though.

Wagons would return on 6V15 from Mossend to Didcot, and then onwards to Eastleigh as 6O15. The trip to the docks ran as 6B43. A search of Flickr using the headcodes yeilds some results. As an aside, I believe 6X44 was also the headcode used for the car train from Dagenham to Didcot, which also joined onto 6X65.

Also, I can't say I've seen 6M66 run with covered IPA's. They were normally the open or stathed type as the working would convey imported Ford Transits, as well as other Ford cars.

Here's a few pictures!

1308058283_66004-6X44Eastleigh13_06_13.jpg.334b5e736d0890ca639a6029fc21bb29.jpg

66004 - Eastleigh - 6X44 Southampton Western Docks to Eastleigh Yard - 13.06.2013

305598604_66007-Shawford6X3815_03_13.jpg.f577288e26dde9f5972955d43d5b9e78.jpg

66007 - Shawford - 6X38 Eastleigh Yard to Didcot Yard - 15.03.2013

1204483839_6604066001-6V38StCross09_08_2013.jpg.c6ca3df2f371d769f7f1db0c3f597ab5.jpg

66040+66001 - St. Cross - 6V38 Eastleigh Yard to Didcot Yard - 09.08.2013

1413889463_66134-Micheldever6X3814_08_13.jpg.7b2ff3c03438cd5d7d3df21a80a123b4.jpg

66134 - Micheldever - 6X38 Eastleigh Yard to Didcot Yard - 14.08.2013

1293144501_66139-WortingJunction6X3821_02_14.jpg.26f1b33bcd4f436dd1287959affa1e53.jpg

66139 - Worting Junction - 6X38 Eastleigh Yard to Didcot Yard - 21.02.2014

1659097560_66168-Didcot6X4417_09_15.jpg.5313489a98caa1a90c11b8f07d645d32.jpg

66168 - Didcot - 6X44 Dagenham to Didcot Yard - 17.09.2015

2015645377_66221-WortingJunction6M6609_01_15.jpg.a7eb405337073847a77a008187b47b54.jpg

66221 - Worting Junction - 6M66 Southampton Western Docks to Garston - 09.01.2014

Andy.

Edited by SWT442
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

As someone who is now completely out of touch with train operations, does the X in the train description indicate a train where the direction of travel has to be reversed at some point to get the vehicles the correct way round for unloading?

Not quite; more one that mustn't deviate from its designated route with Control's consent to avoid it arriving facing the wrong way, or sending it past structures where it might be out-of-gauge (this latter applies most noticeably to MoD trains conveying 'Warrior' armored vehicles, which have been known to remove platform valancing)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Not quite; more one that mustn't deviate from its designated route with Control's consent to avoid it arriving facing the wrong way, or sending it past structures where it might be out-of-gauge (this latter applies most noticeably to MoD trains conveying 'Warrior' armored vehicles, which have been known to remove platform valancing)

Thanks for the explanation.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, SWT442 said:

Don't know how I missed this at DEMU! Definatley of interest to me, credit card will get a bashing I think!

As some additional info if a full rake isn't feasable, they could be found on the Enterprise workings out of Southampton to Scotland. They were workings that were of interest to me before they ceased, as they could vary in length and type of wagon. This info is applicable for the mid-2010's.

The wagons, amongst others such as double deck types, would be used for moving imported Renault vans and cars from Southampton Western Docks. The working ran as 6X44 to Eastleigh Yard, and normally had intermodal flats as well. For a short time, HEA's loaded with dredged pea shingle were in the mix too. The trip workings from Fawley Refinery and Marchwood MOD (if either ran) would be added on, and the whole lot went forward as 6X38 to Didcot. From Didcot, it went forward as 6X65 to Mossend via Warrington and Carlisle. I think Warrington is where an electric loco would be attached. The workings seemed to run as an 'X' if the car wagons were loaded, though didn't always happen. Otherwise the workings were 6B44, 6V38 and 6M65.

Normally a DB Class 66 was used, however it wasn't unknown to find a Class 60 on the trip workings. This was during the time when DB had based one at Eastleigh to be used as a 'Super Shunter'. Class 67's may have been used as well, can't say I saw any though.

Wagons would return on 6V15 from Mossend to Didcot, and then onwards to Eastleigh as 6O15. The trip to the docks ran as 6B43. A search of Flickr using the headcodes yeilds some results. As an aside, I believe 6X44 was also the headcode used for the car train from Dagenham to Didcot, which also joined onto 6X65.

Also, I can't say I've seen 6M66 run with covered IPA's. They were normally the open or stathed type as the working would convey imported Ford Transits, as well as other Ford cars.

Here's a few pictures!

1308058283_66004-6X44Eastleigh13_06_13.jpg.334b5e736d0890ca639a6029fc21bb29.jpg

66004 - Eastleigh - 6X44 Southampton Western Docks to Eastleigh Yard - 13.06.2013

Andy.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the post - really informative and plenty of really helpful detail.  I particularly love the shot of the 66 with the loaded single twin pair.

cheers

Ben A.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Without rubbing people up the wrong way for asking but what is the latest on the OO Gauge IPA's?...there hasn't been an update since July on here and the Revolution website doesn't show anything about ordering except for the N Gauge versions.

Edited by classy52

27 minutes ago, Redkiterail said:

Kernow have got samples to check as per their product page as the 00 gauge is a Kernow product that revolution are making for them.

I think you're thinking of the IZA Cargowaggon.  This thread is about the IPA car carriers, which I don't think is a Kernow product but one that I understand Revolution will be delivering themselves.  I'd also be interested in timescales, so I know when to commit to this project.

• 2 months later...
On 02/01/2020 at 00:33, Ben A said:

Hello David,

CAD is just about done on the 00 IPA car carriers.  I thought I posted images on our website but if not I will post them in the next day or so.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

Sorry to chase, but is there news on the order book for the OO IPAs, I assume things are delayed due to virus concerns, which is why we haven’t heard anymore?

Regards,

Simon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just read James Makins mention of being quite precise regarding cars on trains.  Then it got me thinking of a former life, where cars had been known to bounce out of gauge, or vandals getting in the cars and causing havoc!  With the OO gauge version will there be any chocs/scotches included?

Regards,

C.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello David,

All our earlybird deadlines can be found on the project page here: https://www.revolutiontrains.com/projects/

The 00 IPA earlybird deadline is midnight tomorrow, June 30th.

The length of the IPAs coupled up is the same as the IZA twins which is approx 360mm over buffers.  Of course you need to allow a little extra for couplers etc if calculating how many you can fit in a given loop or siding.

cheers

Ben A.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Ben A said:

Hello David,

All our earlybird deadlines can be found on the project page here: https://www.revolutiontrains.com/projects/

The length of the IPAs coupled up is the same as the IZA twins which is approx 360mm over buffers.  Of course you need to allow a little extra for couplers etc if calculating how many you can fit in a given loop or siding.

cheers

Ben A.

Good evening Ben I'm looking at ordering some of you're fantastic looking IPA wagons and didn't realise the early bird offer ended tomorrow. Quick question before I place the order, it gives you the option to pay a deposit or in full. If I only pay a deposit will the remaining price to pay still be the early bird price or do you need to pay in full only for the early bird offer. Hope that makes sense.

Regards Gary 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, gary_lner said:

Good evening Ben I'm looking at ordering some of you're fantastic looking IPA wagons and didn't realise the early bird offer ended tomorrow. Quick question before I place the order, it gives you the option to pay a deposit or in full. If I only pay a deposit will the remaining price to pay still be the early bird price or do you need to pay in full only for the early bird offer. Hope that makes sense.

Regards Gary 

Hi Gary,

From considerable experience I can confirm that the deposit does indeed secure the earlybird price, so when your balance becomes due you'll have no worries on that score.

My ever growing collection in N has almost always been funded this way as I tend to over indulge in quantity...

Regards, Gerry.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, steam-driven boy said:

Hi Gary,

From considerable experience I can confirm that the deposit does indeed secure the earlybird price, so when your balance becomes due you'll have no worries on that score.

My ever growing collection in N has almost always been funded this way as I tend to over indulge in quantity...

Regards, Gerry.

Thanks for that Gerry. Time to place an order I think.

Regards Gary 

On 29/06/2020 at 11:54, Ben A said:

Hello David,

cheers

Ben A.

Per IPA twin set.  Quad x 2.

Regards,

C.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

For anyone interested we will be showing the EP1 samples of the IPA car carriers in flat, flat with stakes and covered format this evening during a Facebook Live event starting at 1930.  Non-Facebook users can still watch as guests, or if you prefer a recorded version will be available to watch via our website later.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3