Un-named micro wharf

• RMweb Premium

Well I'm finally at a stage to post some pics on here, what you see represents about a years worth of work (i don't work quickly).

I plan on finishing it with Scalescenes buildings around the edge.

320139962_IMG_4316(2).JPG.13b363788d572730c5c121bbd2979e9e.JPG I plan on putting a building either side of the fiddle yard exit to hide it.

What I don't know is whether or not to add a kick back siding to add a bit of operational interest. What I worry is its going to make it very track heavy.

So originally it was going to be like this 

1890941471_IMG_4318(2).JPG.f38e83adcf9700dc523fa9ac5dde8a44.JPG

But now I am thinking of adding the kick back siding going into a building. Like this

2071221266_IMG_4319(2).JPG.abd9a94b1b84cfb28a5415341fff823f.JPG

I would be interested in any ones thoughts on it.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Hi Hippo,

Your original idea would leave more room for low relief buildings along the rear, especially at the right hand side; that may be more satisfying than a flat background.  Track heavy is a mistake that I regularly fall in to.

Good luck with this.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I like the idea of the kick back siding but it will be very hard to shunt! You'll need to use some real-world technique like rope or pole shunting (or some model-world technique like a finger) to get wagons in and out of the kick back. Of course the extra challenge might add to your enjoyment, in which case it's definitely worth considering. Otherwise you could use the kickback for an interesting cameo, e.g. a stationary wagon permanently parked there being loaded or unloaded.

That extra turnout would shorten the rear siding by a couple of wagon lengths. Personally I might just park wagons over the point , if I was using it as a shunting puzzle. But if you're a stickler for prototypical operation, blocking points with wagons isn't generally considered good form.

The layout looks very promising, whichever option you choose. Looking forward to following this blog!

Edited by Ian Simpson
poor typing
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

My micro layout 'Brunswick' was the same as your initial photo, just two points and a headshunt long enough for a loco and two or three wagons (the platform track was just for show). With magnetic uncouplers, it was easy to spend an hour or two just moving wagons around at an exhibition (there was no fiddle yard to hide in). Adding a wagon slightly longer than the others increased the complexity of movements.

I think a kickback siding without a run round loop would not really add anything to your layout, and would (as you said) make it too track heavy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

So finally some progress. This has been untouched for ages.

I did decide to go with the kick back siding and I was right to be worried it does look a little track heavy but I'm hoping by the time I get some buildings and ground covering on there it won't be too bad.

The new rustons are great and the perfect size.

Control is from a cheap Bachmann controller and the points are powered by an old Farish controller. Its over wired really. Every thing has its own feed and all the points are electrofog and modified electrically. 

IMG_5483.jpg

IMG_5480.jpg

IMG_5481.jpg

IMG_5479.jpg

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

Re the kick-back siding. Whenever I’ve included one of these on some of my own shunting layouts, I’ve employed what I consider to be a rather clever feature, in order to make shunting a little easier. At the end of the incoming (or what I term “reception siding), I’ve set aside a small section of track at the very end, just enough to accommodate a small shunting loco (or what I term the “yard loco”), which is isolated (see attached picture). Another shunting loco will then propel it’s wagons (due to confines of space, I’ve usually used only two wagons), onto the front of the isolated “yard” loco, before being detached/returning to the fiddleyard or wherever. The “yard” loco then propels the wagons into the kickback siding/the factory, warehouse, or goods yard. Hope this little suggestion helps!

headshunt & kickback siding.jpg

• Like 1

Nice layout Hippo, the Ruston looks very much at home there.  What are the plugs you've used to connect the controllers to the layout, I've been using chocolate block connectors and I'm always looking for alternatives.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, sb67 said:

Nice layout Hippo, the Ruston looks very much at home there.  What are the plugs you've used to connect the controllers to the layout, I've been using chocolate block connectors and I'm always looking for alternatives.

Only cheap ones I got off Ebay. 

Ebay clicky

Just means if I want to build other layouts and swap between them its easy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/01/2020 at 02:24, Hippo said:

Its over wired really. Every thing has its own feed and all the points are electrofog and modified electrically. 

Not over wired, it is wired for reliability. You will benefit from it in the future although you may never realise it. If you had gone for minimal wiring and relying on point blade contact with stock rails, you would most probably suffer from running problems in the future, which would be difficult to remedy once the scenery is done.

1 hour ago, Hippo said:

Only cheap ones I got off Ebay. 

Ebay clicky

Just means if I want to build other layouts and swap between them its easy

Thanks Hippo, that's what I want them for. I was looking at some recently but they were only 12v and I wasn't sure if they were suitable.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well its been a year since I updated this.

I still have it, I still use it  (play trains) and as you can see I have done a bit scenically. 

The narrow boat has gone and a rusty sunken barge has appeared. It needs some weathering but i think looks better.

More soon, hopefully sooner than next January !

IMG_6988.jpg

IMG_6989.jpg

IMG_6987.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

You get a thumb up for the layout and another for your signature :good_mini:

Have you decided about how you are going to populate the rear wall yet? I have a similar narrow space on my boxfile layout and am considering LCut Creative building facades. Hoping for a new update before Jan 2022! :laugh_mini: