Autotrain livery

MartynA

I’m getting a Bachman Hawksworth Autocoach for a late BR Crest layout based in the early sixties.  I’m using the Hornby Railroad 14xx in late crest lined green. I have the option of an all crimson auto coach or a lined maroon autocoach. Which one would be the correct livery to go with the 14xx? Thanks in advance. 

• RMweb Gold

Crimson was replaced with maroon in 1956, and with lined maroon in 1958, but of course not all trailers were immediately repainted and many probably missed the unlined maroon livery altogether.  The last A38s were used on the last auto service, the Gloucester-Chalford, in 1965, and photos show all in lined maroon livery by then.  The lined livery in 1958 coincided with the 'ferret and dartboard', the 'late' version of the BR crest which is depicted on your 14xx.  It would not be impossible for a crimson liveried trailer to run with your 14xx, or an unlined maroon one, but crimson was probably unusual after about 1960 and and unlined maroon by about 1963.  Lined maroon is probably your most likely livery!