Hornby Sentinel refined, resprayed and dirtied up

Fantastic job , I'm going to presume you have done a lot of " armour " modelling ?

I have always liked the stylised weathering of the armour modellers , although like most things it has its detractors , personally I think it looks great !

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I don’t think that looks stylised at all, just very well done to create a very realistic finish.

(Just like your own weathering on your skip.)

WP_20170812_02_18_57_Pro.jpg

Edited by Regularity
Add link to photo.
  • Like 1

That loco looks fantastic Locksley, you've got a real talent for weathering. Like  to see some more of your work and know about the techniques you've used.

Steve.

Edited by sb67
  • Thanks 1

There are some excellent rust effects there; very well done! My only critcism would be that the plug for the tension lock coupler ought to have been glued, filled and filed back before painting the stripes on the buffer beam.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, col_kilgore said:

Fantastic job , I'm going to presume you have done a lot of " armour " modelling ?

I have always liked the stylised weathering of the armour modellers , although like most things it has its detractors , personally I think it looks great !

Thanks! Yep, I do a bit of armour modelling, though more aircraft generally. However a lot of the techniques are interchangable, even for car modelling.

CollageMaker_20190605_071708869.jpg.0064e2f20dbb08d93626161f9726abe8.jpg

11 hours ago, sb67 said:

That loco looks fantastic Locksley, you've got a real talent for weathering. Like  to see some more of your work and know about the techniques you've used.

Steve.

Thank you Steve! The techniques are nothing out of the ordinary, all of the weathering was done with off the shelf Winsor & Newton oil paints, plus Humbrol Track Colour and a few dabs of Tamiya Red Brown. I've only recently really got the hang of oil weathering myself, finding the best way is to use a a decent very fine brush and avoid going too heavy with anything. As long as you're working on a satin surface the oil paints can be easily moved around for a good few hours with white spirit before they are anything like permanent, this Sentinel was mostly done over the course of a Saturday, on and off.

10 hours ago, Ruston said:

There are some excellent rust effects there; very well done! My only critcism would be that the plug for the tension lock coupler ought to have been glued, filled and filed back before painting the stripes on the buffer beam.

Thanks Ruston! Ideally I would have filled in the buffer beam blanks as they do look a bit rubbish but I wanted to retain the option of popping the tension locks back on as it's fairly likely I'll be running it on our club layout at somepoint.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Thanks Loxley, I've dabbled using oils and in many ways found them easier to work than enamels, do you use general white spirit or anything specific? Sometimes I've had stuff dry glossy and wondered of it was the white spirit I used.

Steve. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Thanks Loxley, I've dabbled using oils and in many ways found them easier to work than enamels, do you use general white spirit or anything specific? Sometimes I've had stuff dry glossy and wondered of it was the white spirit I used.

Steve. 

Just bog standard white spirit. I always varnish afterwards anyway so I haven't really noticed how it affects the finish. I think squeezing out a blob of the oil paint onto either a piece of card or paper towel and leaving it for an hour or so for some of the excess oil to leach out will make them dry more matt.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Ruston said:

I love the Jag. It looks as if it's just been dumped by armed blaggers, who are being chased through London's docklands by Regan and Carter.

:D it's actually based on the MkII from Withnail & I, although I think i got the colour slightly too dark.

i078961.jpg.1f7ed299166f12e476266acdd0477045.jpgDSC08640.JPG.5587d59b20d621792a305f11542dc087.JPGDSC08643.JPG.9baf43b2c0d203f08610f816989a44f7.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 13/06/2019 at 14:16, Stentor said:

Inspirational weathering but you do need to remove that driver’s side windscreen wiper on the jag, if you are “making time”.

I'm embarassed to admit as a Withnail & I fan that I forgot to leave it off lol. It was removed pretty sharpish once I realised!

• Like 1