Sound Decoder for Class 73 Loco

Andy_Richards

I've fitted a Legomanbiffo decoder with a twin Zimo speaker to both of my 73s. They sound very good to me; a lot better than the Hornby 31 also with a Legomanbiffo decoder with a twin Zimo which does not have enough bass.

I have a LokSound 3.5 with Howes' sounds and a LokSound 4 with legomanbiffo sounds. The engine sounds a re a little muted in the legomanbiffo one and a bit too prominent in the Howes one, in my opinion, but both are good in their own ways. The later one has the advantage in being able to start or stop the diesel engine on the move, a previous limitation of the v3.5 decoder, which has to be stopped to switch over.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I too have Loksound v4 with Biffo sounds. Love the fact you can changeover mode on the go like the real thing.  

• Agree 1

The Legomanbiffo one has Electric & Diesel sounds that can be switched over on the move, just like the real locos.  Sound of course depends on speaker types.  Bass is better than the standard sugarcube that comes with the V5.  Or the Zimo Double Dumbo.

See the Movie !!!!   

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, charliepetty said:

The Legomanbiffo one has Electric & Diesel sounds that can be switched over on the move, just like the real locos.  Sound of course depends on speaker types.  Bass is better than the standard sugarcube that comes with the V5.  Or the Zimo Double Dumbo.

See the Movie !!!!   

Order placed!!! Looking forward to delivery. Can you send me a link for the speakers you recommend please

Thanks

Andy

I have the Howes version, although it is now some 8 years old, and uses a V4, so the DCKits V5 has a lot more functions. The sounds are pretty similar, and as Charlie says, the speakers used and how they are mounted, makes a big difference.

However, one function I use a lot on the Howes version (even on my simple test track) is the half-speed shunting mode, which is really useful (for my planned layout anyway).  I cannot see that on the DCK version?

However, the DCK does have the auto brake and exhauster sounds which are not on the Howes, and it does have a correction to the faulty Lima/Hornby lights.

I will have to try a DCK version next, with its superior selection and some auto functions, and see what it is like without the shunt speed.

The Howes one has a pre-programmed flash function on one of the auxiliary outputs. I rigged a couple of LEDs over the unpowered bogie on my Hornby 73 with their sounds, which flash and play a sound, either once on one function or repeatedly and randomly on another function key.

Of course this can also be done with any other sound projects , but it is a nice touch considering it is already there for the user.

The Legomanbiffo is 'Flash Enabled' too!   The function listings are:

F1 Diesel drive on / off. Can be selected from stationary or whilst driving in electric mode.

When started for the first time the engine will prime and then start. Subsequent starts will be 'warm' with no priming

F2 Playable high horn

F3 Playable low horn

F4 Buffer clash. Only sounds when moving at slow speeds

F5 Brake application / auto-brake.

May be left on all the time, then when the throttle is 'dipped' a brake application sound is played. Pressing whilst stationary will produce the sound of the auto-brake

F6 Driver's door slam. 1 of 3 played at random

F7 Compressor

F8 Electric drive on / off.

Can be selected from stationary (with diesel engine off), electric sounds will then play once the throttle is opened. 'Running' sounds come in at a slow speed and change to faster sounds at higher speeds. Can also be selected whilst driving in diesel mode. Then when diesel engine is shut down, electric drive will take over

F9 Automatic flange squeal. Can be left on all the time and will produce appropriate sounds at any speed right down to / from stationary

F10 Guards Despatch whistle

F11 Not Used

F12 Roof fan

F13 Sanders

F14 Exhauster. Comes on at slow speed. Once running, to select high speed turn F14 off and count to three, then turn F14 back on.

When running at high speed, turn F14 off and count to three then turn F14 back on. Turning F14 off and leaving it off will stop the exhausters at any speed

F18 Detonators. A 'three-bang stop'. The bangs come closer together as the loco gets faster

F19 Aux 1 (PLEASE NOTE CAB LIGHTS ON Dapol 73 ARE PERMANTLY ON)

F20 Aux 2 (PLEASE NOTE CAB LIGHTS ON Dapol 73 ARE PERMANTLY ON)