Marton Central

robertcwp

6 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Looks like Bachmann roof profile hasn't been corrected?

An interesting comment.

Presumably you mean that on the Bachmann one the outer windows on the cab front are too flat, which can just be discerned in this side by side shot?

Whilst I'm sure you're correct, it would be quite difficult to spot the difference with the loco in action on the layout.

John.

• Agree 1

On 16/07/2010 at 21:16, robertcwp said:

Where have all the trains gone?

34962979073_976acdb647_b.jpgP105029as by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

34962981803_4c0b5e9a04_b.jpgP1050300as by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Time to change back to steam and early diesel era. All the track needs a clean first though. Only around 175 yards of it.

Is it Christmas Day at your station with no trains running?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

An interesting comment.

Presumably you mean that on the Bachmann one the outer windows on the cab front are too flat, which can just be discerned in this side by side shot?

Whilst I'm sure you're correct, it would be quite difficult to spot the difference with the loco in action on the layout.

John.

I have not done a comparison shot between old and new Bachmann but overall the new Bachmann 24 is in a different league to the old one. I think SLW still has the edge but theirs is over £40 more than the discounted price for a Bachmann one.

Both the new ones run very well by the way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

The layout is currently in its TOPS phase c1980. Here are a few images from today.

Trains await departure - the Bachmann 25 will be due for the chop when more of the better models appear: 

51792785653_1e1b755b5e_b.jpgP1080843m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

HST, now with TGS, which were being inserted into the sets in 1980, new Bachmann 117 and Heljan 25:

51793041539_4c1bc9a47a_b.jpgP1080842m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

A pair of the new Bachmann 117s:

51792669206_ea6ff9c5f2_b.jpgP1080847m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Bachmann 45 modified to represent an ETH fitted one, with Bachmann Mark 2f stock:

51792669236_ce60aba8ab_b.jpgP1080845m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

And a couple of YouTube videos:

Class 50 on Mark 2a/b/c stock. The stock in this train is largely the work of Brian Kirby:

https://youtu.be/wNibEvOg1Q8

A pair of Bachmann Class 117s:

https://youtu.be/PlEwRSORFgk

The only thing about your videos is they are too short ! 

• Agree 1

And some videos:

A pair of Class 37s on iron ore tipplers - the wagons were detailed and improved by Graham Broad back in the 1990s and later acquired from him. They are the old Lima models: 

https://youtu.be/1X3kZ1ufTJ0

A pair of 20s with Accurascale HUO hoppers - were brake tenders still in use in 1980, and similarly for the grey, unfitted brake van?

https://youtu.be/FMNXLHzlUEU

Class 47 on Mark 2a stock:

https://youtu.be/ljcH65vMqOM

And now for some fun - a very High Speed Train:

https://youtu.be/U-XBxkWAqq8

Edited by robertcwp
  • Like 7

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Some recent video clips:

Another video of an Austerity on a coal train.

Jubilee on a mid-1950s express. This one is a slightly shortened formation for 'The Midlander' which includes four Lawrence Scale Models carriages recently acquired second-hand via Tony Wright.

A shortened representation of The Pines Express including several Lawrence Scale Models carriages.

Hornby A3 on Bachmann Thompson stock with two MJT Gresley carriages in the middle. The Gresleys were built by Derek Shore and formerly ran on the Shipley MRS layout 'Leicester South GC. This formation is of a Manchester-Marylebone service from the early 1950s.

Bachmann Patriot on a set of Lawrence Scale Models carriages forming an excursion working.

Hornby Clan on an overnight service including three Lawrence Scale Models carriages.

Kernow 10203.

I moved the layout period forward to the early 1960s last week. Here is a Bachmann Warship on a parcels train.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I tested some EMUs for my planned new layout today.

Firstly, a 4 Cig built by Colin Parks which I purchased second hand after Colin passed away.

52950532674_674edd058b_c.jpgP1090137am by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Colin converted it from Bachmann Mark 1s with new sides. It's powered by what appears to be a Hornby Class 73 motor. The standard of the modelling is very high.

Secondly, a Bachmann 4 Bep.

52950839953_826f0f4787_c.jpgP1090135am by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

52950390066_e310e6fddb_c.jpgP1090136am by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

The green Bachmann 4 Bep is modelled in original condition whereas I am planning a mid to late 1960s layout (I know 4 Cig 7429 wasn't built until 1972). So, I forward-dated a Bachmann model by substituting end doors with yellow panels and adding first class and buffet stripes (and 1s on the appropriate CK doors, which Bachmann missed off). I also replaced the buffet car bogies with Commonwealth ones, as the buffets were rebogied during the 1960s. The only photo I can find of 7005 in green with yellow panels shows it still with a whistle, so this did not need to be changed.

Edited by robertcwp
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree a fantastic looking 4-CIG.

What surgery did you do to age the 4-BEP? Other than paint the yellow panel of course... The whistle is still there instead of replacing it with horns, but the headcode panel looks like it has the later smaller sized numbers. I decided not buy when Bachmann changed its mind and backdated it, but now I'm wondering how easy or difficult it would be to update it to the late 60s.