DJM, the end.

BR Blue

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Let's keep this on topic please - it is sad to see how this has ended.

I am no longer sure what is on-topic. The title is "Is this the end". Yes.

This thread may as well be locked and I would suggest a new one that is purely focused on financial recovery for those of us affected.

Edit - just to clarify, I don't mean that those affected are the only ones allowed to post in.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, truffy said:

I know that thread exists, but it has already wandered off down paths based on conjecture. What we now need is facts and, hopefully, some advice / statement from the Liquidators.

Roy

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I know that thread exists, but it has already wandered off down paths based on conjecture. What we now need is facts and, hopefully, some advice / statement from the Liquidators.

To be honest, unless every single post is moderated, something I don't have time to do, then every thread will wander. I suspect the credit card thread wandered partly because people were determined to have their say and this thread was locked awaiting facts. Now it's open again, hopefully, we'll keep conjecture and recriminations here, allowing the other thread to be more useful.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, brittannia said:

It would have courteous of David Jones to have contacted his Crowdfunders of his dilemma, he was quick enough to send out payment requests, but there again it took him time to acknowledge these payments.

That is one thing I don't think he can be accused of! He was forever promising invoices that never arrived.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Methinks Lord Percy would think you were gloating.

Darius

Well, of course, the problem of ascribing motivation to people is that they are apt to disagree.

It is unfortunate that you and Roy adopt a pejorative mischaracterisation of just some of what I said, ignoring the rest.  

Despite this, I remain very concerned by, and sympathetic to, the human cost of this unfortunate debacle, whether it be the impact upon crowd-funder, the proprietor or those in China or the home industry unfairly criticised as things unravelled.  It's a bit of a sick suggestion, to be frank, that anyone takes pleasure in any of this.

So, I wonder, should I be hypocritical and shed crocodile tears for a business with an indifferent record in design and delivery that ultimately could not maintain its position in a crowded market, just to avoid the charge of "gloating"?   

I prefer Richard E's suggestion; let's, please, keep on topic rather than indulge in subjective criticism of another's perceived intentions. Alternatively, if the conversation is not going the way you want, you could ask the Mods to close it down.  Or, you could let others speak and ignore them as you wish.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Indeed, Section 75 claims are resisted, especially in a case like this.

Threaten them with a referral to the Financial Services Ombudsman. That will cost them far more so they will then usually pay up.

Touching on this, I have been involved in investigating and resolving s.75 claims for multiple companies and at the FOS itself.  I can assure you that the FOS holds no fear for them even if it will cost money to resolve - financial institutions are now more concerned with precedent and principle rather than immediate cost. What’s more, whenever I was threatened with this myself, it was time to smile warmly, hand over a FOS information leaflet and usher them to the door. You will get considerably more help by being polite and friendly.

It it seems unlikely to me that s.75 will work in this case unfortunately - the rule of thumb for my investigations has always been that the actual money spent must be over £100.01 to be valid. Having said that, by all means, try with your various financial institutions- I haven’t worked at every single provider so maybe some will be more willing than others and if you did spend over £100.01 then that does change things.

very sorry to hear about this whole situation, for all concerned. Dave has lost more than his business here (as if that wasn’t enough) and of course others have also lost financially too. A bad situation all over 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

It is unfortunate that you and Roy adopt a pejorative mischaracterisation of just some of what I said, ignoring the rest.  

It is not that, your posts seems to contravene this request:

Roy

Just now, Roy Langridge said:

It is not that, your posts seems to contravene this request:

Roy

I repeat "not gloating". 

Clearly, Roy, you are unwilling or unable to switch the focus from me to the topic and just give it a rest.

Fine, that is you prerogative, but I have other plans for my morning.  The last word is yours; fill your boots.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Edge said:

It it seems unlikely to me that s.75 will work in this case unfortunately - the rule of thumb for my investigations has always been that the actual money spent must be over £100.01 to be valid. Having said that, by all means, try with your various financial institutions- I haven’t worked at every single provider so maybe some will be more willing than others and if you did spend over £100.01 then that does change things.

Sorry, but that is not correct. For s75 protection the full price of the item must be over £100 (and under £30K) but you only have to pay 1p of that on a credit card to get protection. The DJModels website clearly showed yesterday that monies paid were deposits and the full price was over £100

An example is that you pay £50 deposit on a credit card for a £10K car with the rest paid in cash. S75 covers you for the full £10K

Info can be found here:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases/

Edited by Ryde-on-time
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

That is one thing I don't think he can be accused of! He was forever promising invoices that never arrived.

Roy

Perhaps if he had sent out invoices it would have brought in sufficient funds to keep the projects going.  Or perhaps it would have only delayed the end.  We will never know now.

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Ryde-on-time said:

Sorry, but that is not correct. For s75 protection the full price of the item must be over £100 (and under £30K) but you only have to pay 1p of that on a credit card to get protection. The DJModels website clearly showed yesterday that monies paid were deposits and the full price was over £100

An example is that you pay £50 deposit on a credit card for a £10K car with the rest paid in cash. S75 covers you for the full £10K

Info can be found here:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases/

I did say that I didn’t think that it would be covered, nobody would be more delighted than me to be proved wrong on this one, truly. And it’s certainly worth trying it.

As an aside, beware of this website - they don’t half talk nonsense about some things. In this case, the article seems alright, but i’d also want a corroboratory source of information for practically anything this site says - the number of people I have dealt with who have been misinformed by it is quite staggering .

• Informative/Useful 1

35 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Let's keep this on topic please - it is sad to see how this has ended. So much promised and many people, including myself, let down.

The biggest loser will be Dave himself, I doubt that any borrowing from the banks will have been possible without a directors guarantee and, as such, he stands to lose his house and all his personal assets. Indeed he could well come out of this as a bankrupt. Very nasty for him and I feel that we, despite any anger or upset folk feel, should have some sympathy for him in this.

DJ Models was a limited company therefore Dave's personal liabilities were limited - correct we don't know what banking guarantees he may have had to make for some borrowing but much of his delivered work was for Kernow and Hattons who would have provided the finance.  The J94 and some wagons were not crowdfunded so may have been based on company borrowing to fund.  But the majority of his money probably came from lots of individual investors in the company in the form of deposits for the APT, the 92 and the King - the purpose of all monies paid on crowdfunded models is to pay for each stage - in this case the CADs.  For Dave to make no profit (but also no loss) all the development and trips to China would have had to come out of the deposits on those models, if the deposits dried up then quickly the funds to develop the models would dry up just as quick leading to where the company is now.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Perhaps if he had sent out invoices it would have brought in sufficient funds to keep the projects going.  Or perhaps it would have only delayed the end.  We will never know now.

I nearly said that in my post, but decided it may possibly have been a red rag to a few bulls!

As I said before, this is a very sad end. Yes there is lots of focus here on money lost. My £250 was spent a long time ago and I will not miss it, what I will miss is never having a 14-car APT, something DJ gave us all hope for.

I hope he recovers from this as an individual. I think there are few people on here who have no idea how hard I is running a business. I run one which has a few customers at a time (3 or 4) with high-value contracts. Keeping communications going even then can be hard at times when they introduce delay to their projects and then all expect their work to be picked up again and completed at the drop of a hat - of course all at the same time.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'd like to ask this question again.

Has anyone managed to make phone contact with either Dave Jones or the Insolvency company appointed. Personally I would not relish contacting D.J. at this time, but my C.C. company have asked I try to do this before they open up a case for a refund under section 75.

I feel my question is highly relevant at this point, and an answer may help many of us that will be seeking a similar refund. The why and wherefore of I.P. etc etc will surelly unfold at a later stage of the insolvency investigation.

Here and now there will be people, fellow modellers, seeking a refund of deposits paid.  I think helping each other wherever we can would be the best thing for many at this stage.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

He has been in a similar position before with N-thusiast and he got it all back together then, so maybe he can do it again, although I guess that any investors in MK3 will be very wary.  Whatever way he goes, I hope he takes a hard luck at how this panned out from start to finish.  Maybe running your own business just isn't for him

Interesting that you say that.  I didn't have a great experience back in the the pre-internet days with N-thusiast, when I ordered a 59/1 from him.  Had to chase and chase, got stories that it was stolen from a show, eventually  I got a model, but missing handrails, etched nameplate but transfer number plate.  Probably was too young and naive back then (and just glad I'd got a model that I'd fully paid for up front with a very small inheritance I'd got from my Grandmother) to do anything about it - and it was a case of phoning or writing one of those letters with a pen and everything.

Since then I've steered clear  - I almost signed up for the N APT, but I think subconsciously my previous experience  stopped me!

Sad for those who have lost money, however I think the volume of models announced was clearly too much for one man to manage alone.  I think crowdfunding will not be damaged, as long as they are well managed, which Revolution is a great example of (and the reason I've got a 92 ordered, Sturgeon, KFA, IPAs ordered)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

19 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

I was intending to stay quiet on this subject, as it has all the potential to fall into the usual pit of assumption, guesswork and opinionated rubbish, but given that I am privy to some inside information, I feel that some things need to be said in order to create a ’straight record’.  In saying that, please note I am not breaking any confidences with this post.  I appreciate that everyone will have their own views some of which will be right, and some which will be wrong, some will take the following on board, others will dismiss or try to pick-it apart, but I would make it clear, that in no way, will I expand on, or reply further to anything contained within this response, so please do not ask.

It is now in the public domain that DJ Models has been placed in insolvency, this was not a Dave's wish, but it has been forced on him in recent weeks by a third party in the UK.  There have been other serious issues that are not in the public domain, which were outside of Dave’s control, and in my honest opinion, could not generally have been anticipated.  

So what we get here is 'It's not my fault guys' through an intermediary.

Clearly the 7pm update on the site was going to be Dave explaining this but perhaps he was blocked or thought better of it so now he has to find another way to tell us.

I understand why we won't get the details and I'm not really interested, really the whole saga that led to this should be left to lie, it's the creditors who matter now.

If a 'third party' had forced his hand to go to insolvency then he clearly owed enough to them with little chance of paying and that is a purely business matter.

• Like 3
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I nearly said that in my post, but decided it may possibly have been a red rag to a few bulls!

As I said before, this is a very sad end. Yes there is lots of focus here on money lost. My £250 was spent a long time ago and I will not miss it, what I will miss is never having a 14-car APT, something DJ gave us all hope for.

I hope he recovers from this as an individual. I think there are few people on here who have no idea how hard I is running a business. I run one which has a few customers at a time (3 or 4) with high-value contracts. Keeping communications going even then can be hard at times when they introduce delay to their projects and then all expect their work to be picked up again and completed at the drop of a hat - of course all at the same time.

Roy

About the £250 none of us ever expected it back so none of us is short of planned cash.  What we expected was to have to pay another £750 and then get a model train in return.

Substitute appropriate figures for the King and the 92.

The model train will not now appear but our cash box is £750 better off.

The point I am making is that none of us have suffered a cash problem because of the collapse of DJmodels, unlike Dave who presumably had reckoned on getting back the much larger sums of money he invested in the company.

Just saying this to put relative "losses" in perspective.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Edge said:

I did say that I didn’t think that it would be covered, nobody would be more delighted than me to be proved wrong on this one, truly. And it’s certainly worth trying it.

As an aside, beware of this website - they don’t half talk nonsense about some things. In this case, the article seems alright, but i’d also want a corroboratory source of information for practically anything this site says - the number of people I have dealt with who have been misinformed by it is quite staggering .

There are plenty of other consumer websites giving info on this such as Which, I agree that Money saving Expert is not perfect 

Where I disagree is about approaching a CC company saying "it’s certainly worth trying it". I would say it is definitely worth trying because by using a credit card directly (but not through an intermediary like Paypal) the purchaser has rights laid out clearly in Law in the Consumer Rights Act. A friendly approach is always best, and it might require firm persistence, but if people have a legitimate claim they should persevere. 

Edited by Ryde-on-time
to add a caveat

12 minutes ago, wellseasoned said:

Has anyone managed to make phone contact with either Dave Jones or the Insolvency company appointed. Personally I would not relish contacting D.J. at this time, but my C.C. company have asked I try to do this before they open up a case for a refund under section 75.

I sent an email seeking clarification to Dave's business inbox in the morning of the 4th. I've had no answer.

Here, I believe Phil Parker has had communication with the insolvency company.

On the N gauge forum, "Snowwolflair" contacted and had a reply from the insolvency company, and apparently follow up messages.