DJM, the end.

BR Blue

• RMweb Gold

Speaking of Phil Sutton I notice that the latest newsletter contains a couple of digs against manufacturers who release bits of information without saying anything and crowdfunding. Probably related to the news about Dave Jones. Just feel it's a little unprofessional and they don't need to do this their products speak for themselves.

• Agree 5

13 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Not on Android.  See screenshot:

Screenshot_20190608-203807_Chrome.jpg

12 minutes ago, 96701 said:

Ah, I see. Phil Bancroft, at your service.

3 minutes ago, Mattc6911 said:

Im on Android and Phil Bancroft appears in his signature for me ?  

I feel there needs to be a 'I can't see Phil Bancroft's signature' thread...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

I am confused about the cads did he produce them or did he subcontract them? If they were produced by the factory in china what info did they have. He scanned the apt but I don't recall any announcement that he scanned a 92 or a king of which both cads were shown.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Ahh but I Can see it. . . Does that mean I'm barred from taking part in the cant see it thread ?:cry:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mattc6911 said:

Ahh but I Can see it. . . Does that mean I'm barred from taking part in the cant see it thread ?:cry:

Yes instantly blocked, only those who can't see it will be allowed access thus only Mr McLeod will post at this stage me thinks :onthequiet:

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Markwj said:

I am confused about the cads did he produce them or did he subcontract them? If they were produced by the factory in china what info did they have. He scanned the apt but I don't recall any announcement that he scanned a 92 or a king of which both cads were shown.

I don't think Dave Jones produced any CADs, they were done by the Chinese factories, the factories were providing pretty much everything, I think his input was (allegedly) project managing, providing prototype information to the factory and reviewing and approving the CAD and EP (those being the same factories he had a habit of accusing of various nefarious deeds). Which sort of begs the question of quite what he did to accord himself such laurels as a designer.?

• Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

But but but but but even though I can see it. . . I feel I have so much to offer to the discussion !  :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh no wait. . . That was crowdfunding I wasnie involved in. . . This Phil bloke I know naff all about   :D

I'm out

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Mattc6911 said:

This Phil bloke I know naff all about   :D

I'm out

I'm 64 and work for Network Rail. My other half bought my red waistcoat and took the photo of me and Flying Scotsman. Does that help?

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, 96701 said:

I'm 64 and work for Network Rail. My other half bought my red waistcoat and took the photo of me and Flying Scotsman. Does that help?

Now I think I've slipped onto a dating site by accident  :fie:  my  little joke has backfired  :jester:  

• Funny 8

2 hours ago, Ravenser said:

This in some sense reinforces my perception that N gauge is always one step behind OO, mechanically and cosmetically - that the "new level" in N gauge amounts to moving things up to the level of the previous generation in OO - which OO itself is now leaving behind.

Your perception is not entirely true at least historically. Which 00 diesel models offered all wheels powered and all wheels picking up in 1981? All of Graham Farish's 'modern' outline models (bar early HST and DMU models) did.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 96701 said:

My signature is my name. It appears on the bottom of all my posts.

56 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Not on Android.  See screenshot:

Screenshot_20190608-203807_Chrome.jpg

55 minutes ago, 96701 said:

Ah, I see. Phil Bancroft, at your service.

46 minutes ago, Mattc6911 said:

Im on Android and Phil Bancroft appears in his signature for me ?  

42 minutes ago, classy52 said:

27 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Yes instantly blocked, only those who can't see it will be allowed access thus only Mr McLeod will post at this stage me thinks :onthequiet:

24 minutes ago, Mattc6911 said:

But but but but but even though I can see it. . . I feel I have so much to offer to the discussion !  :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh no wait. . . That was crowdfunding I wasnie involved in. . . This Phil bloke I know naff all about   :D

I'm out

8 minutes ago, 96701 said:

9 minutes ago, Mattc6911 said:

Now I think I've slipped onto a dating site by accident  :fie:  my  little joke has backfired  :jester:  

MY BAD.  I've just found out that there is a setting on the profile page to choose whether or not to see signatures.

It's this new fangled forum softwarer lol

No need for that special thread on Wheeltappers after all... And I was so looking forward to it.  :)  :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

9 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

MY BAD.  I've just found out that there is a setting on the profile page to choose whether or not to see signatures.

It's this new fangled forum softwarer lol

No need for that special thread on Wheeltappers after all... And I was so looking forward to it.  :)  :)

Oh thank God, I was dreading a sleepless night thinking about it...now I can rest :drag:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Single very niche product? That has to limit interest. I can see the product is very much the right stuff.

Offer an EE type 1 or Brush 2 made to the same standard and I would suddenly be very interested. Just as I am recently and suddenly very interested in Accurascale (EE type 5) Cavalex (class 91+mk4), and my interest in Dapol has recently revived (they actually have got near to production of the NBL DE type 2...).

The old saw about 'make a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door' is only true for that part of the world population that wants mousetraps.

As maybe.But he’s still in business.....and that is the whole point,however many niches are carved or mice trapped.To repeat....a chat with him if you see him at an exhibition is revealing 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, letterspider said:

How many thousands?

I have no idea. WGAS? Dave doesn't do CAD. He doesn't need an all singing, all dancing CAD package to share a few images online?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Hello and welcome to my website.

I’ve been a modeller since I was a very young lad with an OO gauge Hornby loco on an oval of track stuck on a door for a Christmas present. Subsequently nurtured by my dad, my skills became better, to such an extent that when I switched to N gauge around 1975 I started, as a 10 year old, exhibiting my layouts up and down the country. In 1982 I won the inaugural ‘Prime Ministers Cup’ as the best under 18 modeller in the country.

Ah the Prime Ministers Cup. The award no one has ever heard of.

Let’s have a little think about that:

1982, no internet

How was this competition advertised?

How was this competition entered?

Award given by Mrs T, quite high profile file then...

I’m in my 50’s similar age to DJ and no doubt many here reading this.

How come no one saw any averts in any of the media at the time? Or magazines as they are known.

How come none of our contemporaries in the military modelling fields have never heard of this competition either? (I’ve asked a good few)

How come there was no coverage in any of the magazines of such a prestigious award? 

No pictures?

Best 10 year old modeller in the country. Wonder who was on the selection panel?

Awarded by Mrs Thatcher no less, whom was probably ‘busy’ for quite a substantial part of that year.

1982,  anyone do anything interesting that year? Foreign travel, paid for by the taxpayers, that sort of thing?

1982, quite a notable year, if anyone really wants a research session, No10’s daily diaries are available to read under the FOI act. I have an feeling that paying to view the entry for ‘1982 Prime Ministers Cup’ in those diaries, for the best under 18 modeller, might be a waste of money.

Edited by PMP
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

It is not the only claim on his site that was, shall we say ,"questionable". I had not noticed the claim before but it definitely does not seem to be grounded in reality. Maybe he is confusing it with the Quidditch cup he won in school that same year as that is equally plausible?

• Funny 7

5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Again, given the transient nature of life, the internet and reputations, for posterity the page reads:

Above picture, receiving an award for innovation (Gwyn Humphries Memorial Trophy) from Pete Waterman at Warley 2012

So what have i done? OK, this section will read more like a ‘blowing my own trumpet’ section, but i think it’s only right to show my ‘credentials’, as it were to those who might be wondering.

With my Previous company i designed, the following models….
N gauge Locomotives
Super Voyager, Class 66, Hymek, Western, 22, 9F, Terrier, B17, B1, A3, A4, 73 re-tool, 67, 56, 58 ,26, 27, 33, Britannia, 156, 57xx Pannier, 28xx, Hall, 153, 156, Voyager, Class 66 re-tool, 121, 122, HST, 86

N gauge wagons
Megafrets, FEA Spine wagons, Silver Bullets, IOA, JNA, Ferrywagon, telescopic hood wagon, Stove R*, Snowplough*, KTA Pocket Wagon

OO gauge Locomotives
Class 22, Western, 10000*, Sentinel*, Beattie Well Tank*

OO Gauge wagons
Megafrets, FEA Spine Wagons, MBA, MCA, IOA, JNA, KTA pocket wagon.

Continental N
Silver Bullet*, Curtain Sided Steel Wagon*, Telescopic hood wagon*, Gabs wagon*, Tanoos Wagon*.

* For external commissions.

Since leaving my previous employ, i have also designed the following OO models…..
Irish Ballast Wagon*, Irish bubble cement wagon*, GWR King*, 14xx*, J94, PBA wagon* Turbot wagon*, Ialnos Wagon, JIA China Clay Wagon*, Gate Stock*, 02 Steam Loco*, Beattie Well Tank re-design*, GWR 1361 tank loco*, D600*, Class 92,

* For external commissions.

N gauge locomotives
Class 17, Class 23, J94, King, Project W & X, Class 92, GWR King,

And the following N gauge wagons,
Mermaid Wagon, Ialnos Wagon, Shark Plough Van, Crocodile F, Turbot Wagon, HUO hopper wagon

To be added to this list will be the N and OO gauge APT when it’s released.

For my previous employer i also designed the following; N gauge, OO and O gauge semaphore signals, N gauge Magnetic couplers, OO and N gauge Catenary masts.

I also introduced to the UK RTR N gauge market DCC ready 6 pin decoder compatibility as standard, pin point bearing pick ups, low friction mechanisms, Close coupling, NEM coupling pockets, underfloor switches for lighting, below window mechanisms, alternate length couplers.

I have also received 18 models of the year awards, and 3 innovations of the year awards.

He also worked on the Dapol 73 before he left and that shares a lot of mechanical similarity to his 71. Ok we can argue he did not see this model through but the same could be said for IRMs bubble cement wagons and plenty of others in the list.