DJM, the end.

BR Blue

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PMP said:

@Markwj

Please note that the original query re this claim was raised within a day of the publication, six years ago in 2013, by me, because it indicated a huge plausibility and believability issue in the companies claim. In this thread there has been much hand wringing of how 'we' missed red flags regarding elements of the DJM operation.

A bit more context for you. At the time I worked for MRM in London Kings Cross in my early twenties. We had a huge number of younger customers, those are likely now in their 40's. The shops and clubs at that time we were the 'social media' of the time. A national competition from No10, would surely have been high profile. My brother similar age and his compatriots were plastic kit modellers, and bought Scale Models/Airfix Magazine/Military Modeller, their magazine equivalents. None of those I've asked either in 2013 or subsequently recall this event. Some that I have asked are at the very top of the UK 'kit' hobby. Whilst there have been many views of this thread, and the original 2013 one, no-one has said I recall that, or something vaguely similar.

I'd suggest that if my suspicion is true that a national Prime Ministers Young Modeller competition didn't exist, then the low blow was struck by a false claim on the originators web site.

To end on a positive note if this claim is significantly substantiated, I will make an apology here, and by means of a cheque forwarded via the BRM editorial office donate £100 to the Railway Children charity.

So it has to be

National Prime Ministers Young Modeller competition for 1982

Proof of advertising, eg mag/club media

We find five other entrants, any field of modelling.

Award given by Mrs T at No10 validated by the No10 appointments diary. This is available under the FOI act for non classified data. Its a hard copy document.

Thanks that is a generous offer although not one I think you will need to  pay out on.

I may have not chosen my words wisely I think low blow should really read irrelevance I should think wether he did or did not win this cup in his teens has little to do with the subsequent rise and fall of dj models.

Although I totally accept that if this never existed it could point to a pattern of behaviour which is less than honest!

• Like 2

I have kept up with this thread but not felt that I had anything new or worthwhile to contribute in recent days, but now I will make what I hope to be from me, one last comment. 

What I would say is that in my exchanges with Dave Jones I invariably found someone who was clearly passionate and enthusiastic about model railways, not wanting for self confidence and able to talk the talk. His business plan looked ambitious, but this was explained by returns from models produced funding the next one etc. He had a then recent history of working for Dapol and in that role an involvement in designing a number of models, some very good, some for me, maybe not quite so. There were introductions of things like pinpoint axle pickup, NEM pockets, not before seen in British N, and that certainly got the attention of Bachmann it appears, who upped their game significantly to the point where in my long history of modelling in British N they are now producing models the quality of which would have been undreamed of 15 years ago. 

It is against this backdrop and a willingness to engage with people on forums that he made a name for himself and then moved into business for himself. What caused the departure from Dapol has been the subject of much discussion and speculation that I won't add to.

The announcement of the new business departure was received positively in the main, both by modellers and the modelling press. There were a few dissenting voices even then, but most were pleased to see a new entrant with a stated vision for innovation and raising the bar. He said he put the value of the house he owned in to launch this venture, and that was seen as a measure of his commitment.

The first model, the J94 was I think developed alongside his commission work, but took a long time to develop and he said ended up costing more than planned. This, and adverse movements in £/US exchange rates, he said made things harder for him. As far as I can recall the model received no dreadful reviews but did not represent the promised "step change" either. There were many reports of poor running and an unnecessarily complex design of mechanism with gear coupling of wheels hindering rather than helping in this respect. Similarly his commissions seem to have received mixed reviews, and for their own reasons commissioners subsequently made alternative arrangements for their models.

More models were announced in his own name, and this raised more than a few eyebrows given that there were still quite a number on the initial to do list. The 71 was announced as a crowdfunding venture via Kernow and delivered, again to mixed reviews, especially as regards the mechanism. The subsequent 74 did not achive the numbers.....

The sight of the Clayton EP may have given (it did to me) credence that things were still progressing, I actually had a chance to hold this model in my hands at the N Gauge Show one year, to me it looked promising, certainly more than a cobbled together version made up of 3D printed parts, and it seemed the Clayton could well indeed happen. Some of us were asked to pay up front to fund EP2 etc, but then the bombshell hit, he could not access "his" tooling so the model could not be progressed. As far as I know everyone paying to support EP2 was refunded in full, quite rightly as that was the only reason for providing him with funding, but to be fair to Dave this was recognised and done without quibble. However for me it was here that some nagging doubts started to form in the back of my mind, and after this, if my recollection is correct, only a small batch of N Mermaids (and admittedly very nice) have been delivered from his own resources.

From this point on crowdfunding seems to have been the primary focus, but all four of the projects getting to the funding stage seem to have suffered from lengthening timelines, and confidence in recent times has dwindled. It was perhaps with hindsight unwise to continue to promote an N Gauge 92 after learning of RevolutioN's but in my humble opinion they had every right to produce one, it is called competition, and indeed theirs has seen visible progress to the point of now being close to production. That Accurascale recently announced a 00 one to go with their Mk5 sleepers was similarly entirely their business, and again they have moved the project forward quickly to the point where it is I think now being tooled. If the DJM model had progressed further this would maybe not have been the case?

I admit, even at this point I was personally prepared to have a "punt" on the N Gauge J94 that he announced as a crowdfunded model, believing each project to have a separate income and expenditure stream with no inter-dependency.... 

We will never know the reason for Dave's ill advised May 1st announcement, but I feel that brought all the turkeys home to roost. He was under the microscope like never before, with questions being asked about the whereabouts of crowdfunding money and the micro accounts of the company commented on as not reflecting the expected position. His immediate disappearance following the announcement, whatever the reason for it did nothing to assuage fears and concerns, and although he was said to be in China snagging the APT model (from what has been posted in this Forum) it appears that already it may have been recognised that the company was insolvent and could not continue to trade.

Sorry to those who feel this is all a statement of the blindingly obvious, but it does illustrate (to me anyway) how someone can transition from the "great new hope" to the point where credibility has been well and truly "shot". 

Personally I have lost nothing, but I could have. My own thoughts are primarily with those who put money into projects believing they would see an outcome. Alternatively, Dave knew the risks, I found him knowledgeable and quite an engaging and charismatic character to talk to, and while I do not doubt for a second he is deeply saddened by the outcome, and feels bad for those who have very probably lost money, I cannot put him in the same position as them. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but firstly it is clear that enthusiasm and innovation, however beneficial is not enough to be a success in business. A look at the micro-accounts at an earlier stage could well have given a better feel for things, and little comfort though it will be now, probably the biggest thing to take away from this is to ask questions and do your due diligence no matter how well you think you know the position when considering something similar. If it then still feels wrong, no matter how much you want the proposed model, do not feel apologetic, walk away.

Roy

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

The N gauge society maybe as theirs was produced by Dapol.

Cheers

Paul

The 00 one was done for Ian Allan. It's a terrible model, unfortunately. Mine stays in a dark drawer out of shame.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

19 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

He was a elderly gentleman. His son came back to the shop with proof of payment. This occurred well over twelve months ago around the PayPal debacle. He had asked for a refund via Djm and had l discovered been told the money was spent. I believed him. DJM stated he couldn’t find any records but he never asked the name of the gentleman. When you get someone who is agitated in your shop and asking for a refund it was for the sake of our business that l paid out of my own pocket. Problem solved. 

Perhaps I should have not believed him and instead put my faith in DJ? With your benefit of hindsight what would you have done?

Oh the poor chap. Thanks for sharing. I wonder how many other such soles were taken in and have yet to hear the news. I fully agree with your charitable decision (and your annoyance with DJ).

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 3
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

One thing worth bearing in mind, in the context of all the "I told you so" and "I could see the signs" posts in this thread, is that the five year survival rate for new businesses in the UK is 43%. That is, only just over two in every five new businesses will still be trading after five years.

That's a massive drop-out rate. So predicting the failure of a business is always a better bet than predicting its success, because, statistically, more businesses will fail within five years than will survive. And the industry category that DJM operated in (manufacture of toys and models) has a slightly lower survival rate than average, of just 40%.

So it's not actually that surprising that DJM failed. In fact, it ever so slightly beat the odds, having been formed in July 2013 and making it to June 2019 before going into administration. Before rushing to judgement on why it failed, contributors might like to reflect on the fact that the dice were loaded against it from the start, and all the people who think they could have done a better job of running a company are, statistically, unlikely to have had any greater success.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Which brings up another point.  Those of us online will almost certainly all be up to date with the collapse of DJM but there were still be a lot more out of his customers/crowdfunders out there who will be blissfully unaware of what has happened and will naturally be assuming all is well with their deposits and preparing the track for APT's and 92's that are never coming.

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

36 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

One thing worth bearing in mind, in the context of all the "I told you so" and "I could see the signs" posts in this thread, is that the five year survival rate for new businesses in the UK is 43%. That is, only just over two in every five new businesses will still be trading after five years.

That's a massive drop-out rate. So predicting the failure of a business is always a better bet than predicting its success, because, statistically, more businesses will fail within five years than will survive. And the industry category that DJM operated in (manufacture of toys and models) has a slightly lower survival rate than average, of just 40%.

So it's not actually that surprising that DJM failed. In fact, it ever so slightly beat the odds, having been formed in July 2013 and making it to June 2019 before going into administration. Before rushing to judgement on why it failed, contributors might like to reflect on the fact that the dice were loaded against it from the start, and all the people who think they could have done a better job of running a company are, statistically, unlikely to have had any greater success.

Many new companies are set up for projects, which only last a short time. This may include merely being holding companies for assets such as IP (web names...), or land ownership for a development opportunity. Maybe a "pop-up enterprise". Or, these days, for phoenixism.

The real test is compliance with statutory deadlines, transparency in accounts/dealings, and delivery of promises.  Of course the past does not bind the future, but it helps build confidence.

a@y

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Not the first and will not be the last model company to cease to exist.  Unfortunately the funding strategy  is completely different to others. 

I think that it has taken some smaller makers to come onto the scene with game changing detail differences to get the others to look at what they are doing.  Many US makers have different detail levels and associated pricing.

The Austerity is a real gem just a shame that the Hudswell Clarke won't now happen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JSpencer said:

I for one would not want railway magazines to descend into sensationalist tripe anyway.

Sensationalist tripe or properly-researched, unbiased investigative journalism?

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, truffy said:

Sensationalist tripe or properly-researched, unbiased investigative journalism?

Magazines need to have the confidence of their advertisers, although I do not suggest this skews review accuracy. But the general modelling market has little interest in why a firm stopped trading, and advertisers seeing such an article will wonder whether a hatchet job might be done on them too, if they fail. Not much there to attract the editor to commission a forensic study, I suggest.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Which brings up another point.  Those of us online will almost certainly all be up to date with the collapse of DJM but there were still be a lot more out of his customers/crowdfunders out there who will be blissfully unaware of what has happened and will naturally be assuming all is well with their deposits and preparing the track for APT's and 92's that are never coming.

Was there another method of payment / expression of interest other than the DJM website and Paypal? The lack of updates should maybe prompt those who have financially supported new products would look to the website to see what's happening.

1 hour ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

He was a elderly gentleman. His son came back to the shop with proof of payment. This occurred well over twelve months ago around the PayPal debacle. He had asked for a refund via Djm and had l discovered been told the money was spent. I believed him. DJM stated he couldn’t find any records but he never asked the name of the gentleman.

And didn't Dave lose the details of some people who had made EOIs for models? Looks like he lost details of those who changed EOIs into payments.

Nothing to stop the citizen journalists on RMWeb having a go.  I suspect that all the facts are known, but just not by everyone at once.  Several commentators on this thread clearly have inside knowledge from an inside industry perspective and several others have already contributed sensible posts as good as anything I read in this weekends papers.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Pete 75C has it just right; The way it was is preferable to the way it is. There is also a problem with wish lists, some express a wish, then when it follows 'the way it is path' they lose interest, or things change. Not easy for a producer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pete 75C said:

The way it was...

Model is announced.

We wait patiently.

Model is released.

We perhaps wait for a review in our magazine of choice.

We buy.

The way it is...

A model is announced for possible production.

We froth.

We are asked to make an expression of interest.

We froth some more.

We wait.

Expressions of interest prove that there is demand.

We're asked to get our wallets out.

We wait for the CAD.

The CAD is wrong.

We wait.

We wait some more.

The revised CAD is wrong.

Some give up but the rest wait.

Hurrah! The CAD seems ok to most mere mortals.

We wait.

We continue to froth while waiting.

Painted samples arrive.

They're wrong.

We take to the keyboards in disgust.

We wait.

Forum user A falls out with forum user B.

Forum user C is banned.

We wait.

Revised painted samples arrive.

They're fine to most mere mortals.

We wait.

And froth.

We're still waiting.

Container is loaded.

We follow the ship halfway around the world using GPS tracking.

Still waiting.

We pay the balance.

Our model arrives.

Bits fall off when you open the box and that shade of grey is FAR too dark.

World ends.

My rose tinted spectacles and I really really really miss the way it was!

You forgot the pre announcement of the announcement

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Francis deWeck said:

Not easy for a producer.

Indeed, toy train production must be very tricky, speaking as somebody designing products in the UK for manufacture in the Far East (nowt to do with toy trains).

First of all you've got to try and work out what design trade-offs to make in terms of detail/mechanical complexity/cost/timescale to maximise profit. Trying to pitch the product somewhere between those who loudly demand that every single detail is correct for a specific loco at a specific point in time and those who just want something 'nice' to look at . For the avoidance of doubt I'm moving ever more towards the Rule #1 / 'nice to look at' end of the spectrum ;-)

Then you've likely got to manage manufacture of a product with a really high level of hand assembly, probably in a factory on the other side of the planet.

All of this with a development cost likely to be (say) 150-200K GBP for a loco.

Just a general thought, in no way whatsoever attempting to justify the antics of the primary subject of this thread.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

The 00 one was done for Ian Allan. It's a terrible model, unfortunately. Mine stays in a dark drawer out of shame.

Are you sure? My recollection is that it was the first commission for ModelRail.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Are you sure? My recollection is that it was the first commission for ModelRail.

No, the Stove R was for Hornby magazine - nothing to do with the topic in hand.

• Thanks 1