DJM, the end.

BR Blue

• Administrators

If we are going to get off-topic and talk about eating establishments, at least get on to cake...

However, not everyone called Jones is responsible for this. I can now imagine younger modellers getting into a nightclub and hearing there is a DJ in the booth. Instead of throwing shapes on the dancefloor*, they will be saying, "Right, I'm going to have words with him about the non-appearance of my APT-P". Don't do it. Just say no kids. 

*Insert your own Having a bogie joke. Or better still, don't. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 14

14 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Instead of throwing shapes on the dancefloor ...

Not only does this man have moderator skilz, he also speaks the language of yoof!

Is he perhaps some kind of hipster too?

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

14 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I think that's why the Americans call them trucks.

I thought they called them boogers.

Edited by truffy
Sorry...wrong 'bogie' 
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

If we are going to get off-topic and talk about eating establishments, at least get on to cake...

However, not everyone called Jones is responsible for this. I can now imagine younger modellers getting into a nightclub and hearing there is a DJ in the booth. Instead of throwing shapes on the dancefloor*, they will be saying, "Right, I'm going to have words with him about the non-appearance of my APT-P". Don't do it. Just say no kids. 

The next time I build an industrial layout, it is going to feature DJ Booth, Acoustic Engineers

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm building up the picture that, on the various projects in which D Jones has been involved, the technical work - from drawing up the CAD to making the tooling, as well as production, was done by the Chinese Factory (or Factories), whilst the prototype research (or at least contributions towards it) was done by various others, including at least one contributor to this thread, so that his role was that of a broker. Maybe I've gained a false impression but, to quote the well-known hum, "Just tell me, somebody, what did he do?"

Sounds like what my employer would call a "Project Manager". Many of whom couldn't engineer their way out of a paper bag.

• Agree 6
  • Funny 1

7 minutes ago, polybear said:

Sounds like what my employer would call a "Project Manager". Many of whom couldn't engineer their way out of a paper bag.

The Project Managers in a firm I am familiar with are no more than a telephone answering service and email forwarding service. The designers design, the cad monkeys cad up and the installers install and the project mangers get the plaudits and bonuses! ????

Cheers

Duncan

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Sounds just like my firm.  And I bet the engineers get the blame when the P.M.'s screw up, despite the engineers telling them it wouldn't work/was unachievable right at the outset....

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

That post made my day. I'm having a louse time with work, and for the first time today I smiled. The number of beers I owe you just increased by 1.

Roy

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I think that the role of project manager is easy to misunderstand and criticise but it is a pretty essential one. Whether a project manager needs to be a technical expert is questionable (it is a different role) but they need to be organised, understand budgets, communicate and at times knock heads together. It should be noted that the project manager may have nothing to do with approval of project scope, budget etc but as the ones who have to crack the whip they generally get blamed if budgets are unrealistic etc. In the case of DJ he should have been coordinating it all, managing the money side, promoting projects and keeping things on track. 

• Agree 9

• RMweb Gold

Unlike a typical internal project manager, DJ was in at the inception of every project, so scope and budget were personally agreed with the client - if there truly was one. All the project parameters were under his control and he had every motivation to succeed.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

Technically, as far as the product goes, he is product owner, project manager and project finance controler.

But he is also marketing and commercial manager.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Agree 1

I have just received an e-mail from CG&Co with a lengthy attachment letter outlining the liquidation of DJ Models.  The letter is headed "To all known creditors".

It goes into quite a lot of detail, including things like trying to reclaim the tooling from the company DJ Models was in dispute with, reclaiming a deposit paid to a supplier and interested parties in the company's intellectual property.  I haven't had time to process it all yet.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, BR(S) said:

I have just received an e-mail from CG&Co with a lengthy attachment letter outlining the liquidation of DJ Models.  The letter is headed "To all known creditors".

It goes into quite a lot of detail, including things like trying to reclaim the tooling from the company DJ Models was in dispute with, reclaiming a deposit paid to a supplier and interested parties in the company's intellectual property.  I haven't had time to process it all yet.

And the best of Anglo-Chinese luck in trying to (re)claim that tooling because I have a more than strong suspicion than when they approach said Chinese factory they will end up wishing they hadn't and could find themselves with another potential creditor on their hands.

And to be honest would anybody want to buy the tools for a Class 71 and a J94 when Hornby make models of both and you can pick up substantially discounted Class 71s from various sources if you're not fussy about livery or running number.  Mind you I suppose somebody could sell J94 mouldings as a body kit?  (But that assumes the liquidators could actually get hold of and sell the tooling ...   ...   some hope!)

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

I have this horrible fear that the toolings will wind up being sold and/or melted down for scrap as I would wager at some point the Chinese factory(s) will run out of patience sooner or later and attempt to recover their losses by the quickest available route.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, BR(S) said:

Lucky you - I can't open it, all I get is anything betweeen 20 and 2000 pages of sheer gobbledygook.

4 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Lucky you - I can't open it, all I get is anything betweeen 20 and 2000 pages of sheer gobbledygook.

I opened it ok in Word.  The e-mail says something about sending it in a different format in case people couldn't open the first format.  I've received two e-mails from them, but one went into my junk folder; that was a PDF version of the same letter.

Edited by BR(S)
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, John M Upton said:

I have this horrible fear that the toolings will wind up being sold and/or melted down for scrap as I would wager at some point the Chinese factory(s) will run out of patience sooner or later and attempt to recover their losses by the quickest available route.

Up until now they have offered them (or rather models made using them) to various people so I understand and have had no luck in finding any takers.  Once DJM is out of the way as a going concern someone might conceivably be interested but you come straight back to the competitive situation I mentioned above,  And who would be willing to take on that commercial risk?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It might be feasible for someone like Hornby to modify the tooling of the Austerity chassis to use a more conventional motor, lose a few gears and add some functioning coupling rods. Would then make a very fine loco indeed. 

There is a strong market for a higher spec Austerity/J94 (in all scales) despite Dave's efforts

• Like 2
  • Agree 1